Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2021 10:07:24 PM EDT
Harvard prof: Study shows slavery reparations 'could have been as effective' as COVID-19 vaccine

Harvard Medical School assistant professor Michelle E. Morse says a new study she participated in demonstrates how slavery reparations “could have been as effective as a vaccine” for COVID-19.

Researches claim that infection rates for the contagion would have been reduced by up to 68% if Black Americans possessed $250,000 per individual or $800,000 per household for the historical injustice of slavery.

“[Slavery reparations] could have been as effective as a vaccine,” she said for a Harvard Crimson piece published Feb. 16.
Researchers said they compared overcrowded housing situations in South Korea and Louisiana to test “COVID-19 time-varying R t curves of relatively disparate polities in terms of social equity.”

In short, they concluded that “wealth redistribution would decrease the ability of affluent whites to cloister themselves in a setting of relative exclusivity.”
View Quote

Once Harvard was prestigious, today it seems more like a carnival act.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
87% of all studies are made up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, a study shows it.

Trust the science.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's an idea. Let Harvard use their 41 billion endowment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What percentage of American blacks actually have any roots on slavery? The number is dropping every year.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2015/04/09/a-rising-share-of-the-u-s-black-population-is-foreign-born/
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me guess...

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So completely ineffective, then?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
The left is cancer.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Take it from the endowment.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I haven't caught C19, but I bet I'd get even less if you gave me $250k.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Wait, I wouldn't have had to wear a mask if we just gave black people 40 acres and a mule?

Science is weird!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The left is cancer.

View Quote
This might replace my sigline.  Entirely accurate.  Cancerous and growing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
87% of all studies are made up.
View Quote

It is amazing the time they put in and great lengths they go to contort reality to try and prove their stances.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of "mights", "maybes" and "coulds" in that study.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#18]
We've peer reviewed ourselves and found nothing wrong with our findings.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I trust my plumber over any idiot from harvard
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not even 5:30 in the morning yet but I'm pretty sure that's the stupidest thing I will hear all day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#22]
A small part of me wonders what giving 250k would do to hood rats and their cities. I imagine it would be way worse than anyone in the “reparations will solve x” camp could believe. War lords, mass murder and in the end, they will lose the money in 6 months and be in the exact same social position.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A small part of me wonders what giving 250k would do to hood rats and their cities. I imagine it would be way worse than anyone in the “reparations will solve x” camp could believe. War lords, mass murder and in the end, they will lose the money in 6 months and be in the exact same social position.
View Quote

Shoquacious and Loquanta will pool their quarter mil and buy a house in the burbs in Rockland County, where the wipipo don’t get the Rona.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#24]
All this coming from the university that openly values Black people over Asians for eligibility and was taken to court over it.

Can’t say I’m overly surprised by their ‘study’
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
If you buy me an island and stock it with everything I could ever need, I'd bet that is more effective then the best vaccine for covid that exists now or will ever exist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#26]
So my business idea (chain of stores specializing in high-end weaves and boutique malt liquor) may have wings after all!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Its like there's a competition to see who can say the most retarded thing??
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So my business idea (chain of stores specializing in high-end weaves and boutique malt liquor) may have wings after all!
View Quote
Don't forget about rimz and tacky jewelry
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Lol everyone in the hood gunna buy a Range Rover
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Since we are so far down the rabbit hole...

We should fund a study of the economic impact of giving every white male an LLC and 100k in grants.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there money in writing up these studies?  I can see a new work from home industry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Harvard prof: Study shows slavery reparations 'could have been as effective' as COVID-19 vaccine
[...]
View Quote

There's some good data and analysis at the core of the work around frontline workers and overcrowded living conditions. I suspect the much weaker claims survived peer review because the reviewers weren't comfortable objecting to the comparability of resolved structural challenges in Louisiana with modern-day South Korea. The whole vaccine comment is not from the research article at all, so I think it's irresponsible for one of the authors to let that be in the public discussion. They never claim that or even cover a relevant time period in their data or findings.

It's important to have solid research findings on why black Americans have had greater adverse impacts in the pandemic. This article provides a glimpse into what kind of structural differences might contribute, but those insights got buried in less insightful but flashier conclusions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#33]
"Trust science"

"Trust the experts"
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an idea of selling mylar balloons and memorial t-shirts. You wanna partner up?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There's some good data and analysis at the core of the work around frontline workers and overcrowded living conditions. I suspect the much weaker claims survived peer review because the reviewers weren't comfortable objecting to the comparability of resolved structural challenges in Louisiana with modern-day South Korea. The whole vaccine comment is not from the research article at all, so I think it's irresponsible for one of the authors to let that be in the public discussion. They never claim that or even cover a relevant time period in their data or findings.

It's important to have solid research findings on why black Americans have had greater adverse impacts in the pandemic. This article provides a glimpse into what kind of structural differences might contribute, but those insights got buried in less insightful but flashier conclusions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

Do you think that may have to do with blacks choosing to live in densely populated cities?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#37]
This is simply evidence that you can craft a study to support any hypothesis you'd like if you're creative enough.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Do you think that may have to do with blacks choosing to live in densely populated cities?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

You know, like, culture, or something?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe Biden was right.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#41]
New Study: Giving Happycynic 87 Billion Dollars Would Solve All World's Problems.

-  Harvard Professor (probably)
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
87% of all studies statistics  are made up.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#43]
“wealth redistribution would decrease the ability of affluent whites to cloister themselves in a setting of relative exclusivity.”

Brilliant deduction, geniuses; stealing peoples' money lands them in the fucking ghetto.  Amazing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#44]
So lets see I buy a 24 foot box truck and go clean out every walmart, best buy and target of every surround system and 65 inch tv I can buy. Then drive to the city and sell it all at a 50% mark up with a small $500 installation fee.

Then in 2 weeks I go back with 75 and 80 inch tvs, and take the old one in on trade at my cost but with another 50% mark up on the new tv. Because you know they would want bigger than the next door neighbor in a matter of two weeks.

I have about 75 k available to do this. Think I could keep rolling it over and make a mil?

Then donate all the 65 inch tvs to schools and hospitals for the tax right off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]
The whole reason they use doctors for these studies is because these midwit ideas could stand the more rigorous statistical methods employed by economists and political scientists.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

The broad data and also this research project here doesn't really have any evidence that leads to population density being related to COVID outcomes. Some of the worst hit counties are rural midwest mostly white, but that is really more about smaller populations having higher variation (perhaps, bigger role of good and bad luck) than any real trend.

If we could capture what blend of magnitude the factors are... epidemiological (ability for COVID to spread), whether it's more more deadly for different groups, being more or less likely to seek treatment for severe cases... I'm sure it's more than one good explanation working at the same time. That's also why it's hard to believe any one single fix is the answer... although I guess $800k is a pretty big single answer so what the hey.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#49]
The COVID Vaccine is so effective that after getting you vaccine you must:

• Wear a mask
  • Social Distance
  • Can still get COVID
  • Can still infect others with COVID
  • Have to quarantine if you sneeze
  • Have to quarantine if you come into contact with someone with COVID.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top