Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2021 8:02:45 PM EDT
I have some prefinished hardwood "scraps" laying around. I would like to somehow assemble to make a larger tabletop for my bar table out in the shop. The current table is 24" round top. I was thinking I would like it to be either 30" or 36" square.

Any suggestions for the best way to assemble?  I have some ideas but just want to hear what others might do.

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would make it thick, with a piece of 3/4 hardwood ply underneath.

ETA: Or, if you have enough flooring, just do two layers, with the layers 90 degrees apposed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Fpni!  glue and clamp it all together. Strip out some 1x2 down the sides and make it look like the tables at Hooters
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would make it thick, with a piece of 3/4 hardwood ply underneath.

ETA: Or, if you have enough flooring, just do two layers, with the layers 90 degrees apposed.
View Quote

Good design dictates three plies not two.  The two outer plies have grain running in the same direction.  The inner ply has grain rotated 90 degree to the outer plies (running across the grain of the outer).

This yields symmetry, a symmetrical layup.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you ran it in a herringbone pattern, and subsequent lower layers opposing, that would be pretty strong. I'd still want to do solid wood edging, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top