Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2021 12:50:37 PM EDT
Hello Hive;

Brief background;

PC: Dell w/AMD X4 630, 8GB Ram, old PC just use for ARF/interwebz, no heavy work, originally a WIN 7 machine upgraded to WIN 10 about a year ago, upgraded RAM to 8GB about 3 - 4 mos ago.

Started crashing about 2 weeks ago, maybe once a day, then more often, then got BSOD/Error, started trouble shooting; Memory Diagnostic, System Restore to earlier date, was going to try a few other ideas (drivers, hard disc, etc) and then it did a full crash, PC powers on, no display at all but I can hear it running.

Have not tried to boot into safe mode but with no display I am questioning my ability to get the PC to boot/display.

Thoughts on the next approach . . . . . .

May just yank the drive and pop it into an external USB enclosure and see if I can salvage.  Important family pics all backed up but have some (somewhat important but not critical) files I want to try and retrieve.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
normally you get post screens even if windows doesn't show up.
if you aren't even getting post screens, then I would make sure the monitor checks good, and then get a cheap video card to see if it boots.
If you are just going to get a new machine, then yeah, yank the hd and copy your stuff off.
actually that might not be a bad idea to do anyway so you don't eat something trying to boot it up multiple times without a clean shutdown.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
normally you get post screens even if windows doesn't show up.
if you aren't even getting post screens, then I would make sure the monitor checks good, and then get a cheap video card to see if it boots.
If you are just going to get a new machine, then yeah, yank the hd and copy your stuff off.
actually that might not be a bad idea to do anyway so you don't eat something trying to boot it up multiple times without a clean shutdown.
View Quote
This is the way to start.

Swap video cable, borrow a monitor or hook it to a laptop and test. (You can test cable and monitor this way.)

Reseat the video card and make sure if it has a fan, that the fan is running.  The good news is really old computers have cheapo cards you can probably still get, maybe even free used.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the monitor and cable are good.

I put a different PC in place (same cable/monitor) and runs as it should.

I will try a few things, thanks for the comments.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Create a usb boot drive. Not sure how it works for windows but you can dump something user friendly like Linux Mint onto a usb/thumb drive and do a live boot. IE just boot from the os on the usb vs actually installing it.
That will help determine if your OS image is bad or if you have failing hw like a flakey video card or motherboard causing the issues.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
kb5000808 and KB5000802 released early to mid march have been causing BSOD and reboots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're not even getting the post after power on, I would think it's more a physical issue than software i.e. bad PSU, motherboard or possibly RAM that you just upgraded. A good nondestructive test is to remove the RAM you just added and try to power on using only the RAM that was there previously.

To go further, you can swap out the RAM leaving only one stick in a a time to see if the system will boot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the additional comments.

I have the 3GB of original RAM (which was completely removed) that ran for many years with no issues, the new RAM is just a few months old (4 X 2GB Crucial).

Going to swap the RAM sticks first and see what I have, I will then try the other suggestions.

I appreciate the input.

ETA 04/15;

Took out the 4 x 2GB Crucial RAM, replaced with 3 X 1GB OEM Dell/Micron, no change, PC powers up no display.

Might pop out the hard drive tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#9]
FUCKERS;

Still dead, common problem apparently.

Attachment Attached File

Techradar one day ago WIN 10 update FUBAR's shit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top