[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FAL and PTR91
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've long been a roller delay fanboy, but building my first FAL right now and am really getting a better appreciation of the design.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
As the guns are set up I would say FAL mostly because the stock HK91 lack of a paddle mag release is kinda shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Having owned both, I must lean towards the FAL. I did love my PTR91 and regret selling both. I will be trying to get a new FAL this year or next. Same for the PTR91. I still have boxes of magazines for both.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I like them both, but the standard length, fixed stock FAL/SLR is loooong.

OTOH, the HK91 is shorter if you are getting in and out of vehicles, can accept a surplus collapsible stock easily to make the weapon even more compact, and original mil-issue surplus magazines from The Fatherland are still quite inexpensive.

From a collector's standpoint, a Belgium FAL would probably be more attractive to me since they are quite uncommon and a good quality PTR-91 can be purchased that will do everything the out-of-production original HK will.

Buy the FAL, and scratch your HK91 itch with a PTR-91 with the paddle magazine release.  You could probably buy three PTR-91s for the price of one original HK and nobody on the business end would know the difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a (cheap) FAL copy and currently have a PTR 91. I really prefer the PTR, weird ergonomics and all. This may be because I shoot left handed but the FAL never really seemed to be a good fit for me. Another plus for the PTR is it's a damn garbage eater; it pretty much cycles anything I put through it.
You could get both a DSA and a PTR for around three grand OP. Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Have owned and shot both quite a bit. Personally I prefer the G3 platform, no gas system to deal with, it will run any ammo you run through it, straight line recoil impulse.
Ergonomics do take a bit getting used to, more accurate than ANY FAL I have ever shot or built.
I think the FAL has too skinny of a barrel and too much mechanical movement on the barrel to influence accuracy.
As stated mags are still fairly cheap, during the Clinton AWB I recall them running +$100.00, as soon as it expired I bought cases of them for .99 each.
I owned a HK91 for a while and in all honesty my early JLD PTR is a better built rifle, everything on it other than the Wilson barrel and JLD receiver is all HK. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot, recoil is not bad on the G3 type rifles if you run the heavy buffer.
I have a HK trigger pack that has been reworked by Williams some time back and it helps considerably.
I do not recommend Bill Springfield trigger work, I think his talents have faded through the years.

The FAL has its recoil system angled in the stock, I feel it contributes to muzzle rise on them, I have never noticed excessive muzzle rise on the G3 platform.

G3 is hard on brass if you don’t run a port buffer on them. The trunnion configuration on them can be difficult to clean thoroughly, I blast it out with aerosol carb cleaner and it does well.
Keep the fluting clean in the chamber, it is essential to proper extraction as the gas helps “float” the casing free.
Try not to shoot South African surplus through a G3, they seal the projectile with a tar like substance and it is a bitch to clean  out of the fluted chamber!
Both rifles headspacing can be adjusted for wear, locking shoulder for the FAL and roller size for the G3.

Both are good rifles, it’s just personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I also have both, an SLR and an HK91.  Each have their pluses and minuses.

What I haven't heard mentioned here is the designed inaccuracy of the FAL.  The front sight is on one side of a hinged system (attached to the receiver) and the rear sight is on the other (attached to the TMH).  No matter how good the lock up is between the two there will be variances every time you open and close the receiver.  The HK does not have that design and has always been shown to have greater precision.  The FAL is a Ferrari when it comes to shooting while the HK91 is the equivalent of a 429 Cobra.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#10]
This is sure to go well
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
No collection is complete with out both.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
AAND we're into another Ginger or Mary Ann debate.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Get both

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FAL all day long. It’s sleek and sexy. HK91 feels like a brick. Ive had both and they work just fine but for me, the FAL hands down. Not even close.
View Quote

This.

I have both.  FAL all day and weekends too
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
More than 40 including Sweden, Norway, most of the middle east and Turks.  It was produced in more countries than the FAL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The FAL was adopted by over 60 countries. The HK91????
More than 40 including Sweden, Norway, most of the middle east and Turks.  It was produced in more countries than the FAL.

Don't forget Portugal, who is still using them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The G3 was issued by 92 flagged countries. Next question?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The HK looks nicer but the FAL won't beat the shit out of you when you shoot it.
I vote FAL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The FAL is a surprisingly nice rifle.

The G3 is not.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
FAL.

and I am a HK fanboy.

I have a G3 and a G1 and an Izzy HBAR. If I had to choose, it would be the FALs
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have owned & fired thousands of rounds through both, The FAL any day & 2X on Sunday. The recoil of the HK make follow up shots more difficult than the FAL & it shoots the brass out like it is trying to kill anyone to the right of it.
I still have a mint HK91A3 in the safe in Free America because of it's collectable value.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Literally nothing in this post is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HK91 I had in the 80s left flute marks on the brass so the brass was not reloadable.  It was not as reliable as I expected it to be but once you dial in the ammo with the gas system you should be ok but why you would buy that over a LaRue OBR is beyond me.

Literally nothing in this post is correct.

I mean, the shilling is pretty spot on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I voted that I hate the FAL (because I don't have one yet).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FAL and PTR91
View Quote

Yup, that's what I did.  

50 HK91 mags for $50 was a good move, too...though that was about 15 years ago.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/PortugueseG3_jpg-1793678.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And doing bad things to bad people with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
You see what this is right here? This is a man’s rifle. These motherfuckers have slotted everything from floppies to elephants to communists hell bent on destroying everything the baby Jesus holds near and dear in his sweet, little, pudgy fingers. This motherfucker will either make a man out of you or make you realize you ain’t a man. The sheer sight of this pig gives women lady boners, makes their panties burst into flames and their nipples harder than a pimps dick at a high school graduation. You torch this bitch off and God almighty takes notice. Turning cover into concealment? Shit. This Belgian beast makes a ‘79 Cadillac seem as thin as a Chinese lantern. You can squeal about your AR all you want, but the hot bitches want a man’s man and not some Mattel toy totin’ pussy boy.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Both are nice weapons. The $3000 price tag is choking me though.

Mags for the HK are pretty cheap still.

Is the FAL metric or inch pattern? The cost of those mags differ greatly.

I know springfield put their rollmark on the Imbel receiver SAR 48 and 4800 that they marketed as match. Never seen a Belgian marked as such.
View Quote

My Belgian FAL is marked 308 MATCH.

7.62 x 51 mm NATO is a scary military caliber but .308 is a hunting non scary caliber, it was done for importation to some country's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
AAND we're into another Ginger or Mary Ann debate.
View Quote

1960's or 2020?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Belgian FAL is a bit more rare. Lots of HK91s out there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The HK91 I had in the 80s left flute marks on the brass so the brass was not reloadable.  It was not as reliable as I expected it to be but once you dial in the ammo with the gas system you should be ok but why you would buy that over a LaRue OBR is beyond me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is Portugal really that poor that they  still use that boat anchor? Didn't they switch to the 5.56 FN scar? I thought all that surplus port 7.62 was because of the switch to 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Try to buy the first one and if that doesn’t work, buy the second one. Pretty soon, you may not have a chance to get either.
View Quote

That’s my take. I have a nice SA58 I bought years ago that runs great. My question was more from an investment standpoint. That 91 destroys brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#33]
.......and I have probably 30 FAL mags including a bunch of 30 round converted Bren mags that work.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#35]
excellent sights

excellent trigger

excellent balance ( with USGI barrel)

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#36]
BS. Very easy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#37]
My very early M1A is one of the most underwhelming guns I own.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HK 91 all day every day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:03:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The G3 was also made in greater numbers, and unlike the FAiL it’s still used everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Get both
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Get both
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Had both and suggest the FAL. Cocking handle sleek lines adjustable gas better sights easier to work on the trigger. Forged receiver versus stamped sheet metal. A Belgium FAL is a real prize. A friend had one in the mid 80s and I had the 91. Plenty accurate and probably saved my life.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Beautiful Belgian made FAL?

That's the One!

A Century Arrms Mix Mash Up?  No thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Both are great rifles! I've fired both and own two FAL and one CENTME.

If I had to pick one FAL.

The Ergonomics Is way better on the FAL p!us the bolt stays open after the last round.

HK91 is more accurate and is tough as hell.

Get both is the best option, but if I'm going on patrol I'm taking the FAL.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Nobody asked about third place.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#46]
HK 91 / G3

Optimal barrel length and handling (most FALs are like telephone poles)
Adopted by police agencies in North America for decades (more parts, more gunsmiths / armorers familiar with them)
More of them in circulation in North America
Cheaper magazines
Modular
Lighter
Greater inherent accuracy (~2 MOA)
Easier scope mounting

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

...is still in service in several nations. (G3 variants)
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You see what this is right here? This is a man’s rifle. These motherfuckers have slotted everything from floppies to elephants to communists hell bent on destroying everything the baby Jesus holds near and dear in his sweet, little, pudgy fingers. This motherfucker will either make a man out of you or make you realize you ain’t a man. The sheer sight of this pig gives women lady boners, makes their panties burst into flames and their nipples harder than a pimps dick at a high school graduation. You torch this bitch off and God almighty takes notice. Turning cover into concealment? Shit. This Belgian beast makes a ‘79 Cadillac seem as thin as a Chinese lantern. You can squeal about your AR all you want, but the hot bitches want a man’s man and not some Mattel toy totin’ pussy boy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31823/48D87EF5-1758-45B5-8F8A-A99800C27993-1701914.jpg
View Quote

What forend is that?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 7:35:46 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I think the ONE thing that the posters in this thread can agree upon, even if they could NEVER agree on the "FAL vs HK91" question...is that OP should NOT bother with an M14 or derivatives.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#50]
For many it comes down to ergonomics.  Once I handled both side by side, it was the FAL all day.  Both are good rifles and I enjoyed shooting a G3 with full-auto in Ecuador.  I got into the FAL build craze and ended up with three.  I need to convert one to a para-folding stock which is my goal this year.  

As a side note, battle rifles are coming back into some inventories.  While I was working in A'Stan from 2017 to 2019, the Turks were showing up with their 7.62.51 MPT-76 rifles and the Germans, their H&K 417 rifles.  Both in shorter configuration and not used as a DMR.  

Love my FALs...just glad I still have several thousands of surplus ammo

ROCK6
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top