Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2021 9:42:30 PM EDT
Looking for any recommendations on a new set of head light bulbs for a 2014 ford f150. When I drive around town my head lights are fine being in a suburban area, but when I drive out towards the rural area that our cabin is located even with the high beams on my lights suck. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
LED

HID are old news.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
led but don't buy cheap
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I stuck with HID because unless you change the entire housing, simply replacing the bulb to led has some negatives

If you want a halogen replacement, look at Phillips crystal ultravision. You'll have to research if these bulbs work in your vehicle.
Mine work fine. White light replacement. I don't get flashed by other drivers.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Considered some aftermarket led spot lights or bars?  That way you arent the guy driving around town with the blinding led bulbs in housing that weren’t made for them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Neither unless you want to buy new housings.

Fo with sylvania ZXE or ZXE Gold for low beam and high beam.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
the better LEDs have the ability to rotate the bulb so it is properly aligned and not blinding oncoming drivers
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the better LEDs have the ability to rotate the bulb so it is properly aligned and not blinding oncoming drivers
View Quote

Philips Ultinon’s in my Tundra, outstanding.

Don’t buy cheap Amazon crap.

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Morimoto 2stroke 3.0 LEDs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#10]
LED light bar wired to your high beam circuit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Philips Ultinon’s in my Tundra, outstanding.

Don’t buy cheap Amazon crap.

View Quote

I have heard good things about them. Might have to try them in my old pickup.

The new Tundra has kickass LED headlights and fogs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have heard good things about them. Might have to try them in my old pickup.

The new Tundra has kickass LED headlights and fogs.
View Quote

The new Tundra does indeed.

I’ve got a ‘14, and it had standard halogens.

The Ultinons have been great in my headlight and fog lights,
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking for any recommendations on a new set of head light bulbs for a 2014 ford f150. When I drive around town my head lights are fine being in a suburban area, but when I drive out towards the rural area that our cabin is located even with the high beams on my lights suck. Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks.
View Quote

@firemed13
https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Whatever route you choose, try and find something where the bulb and housing/reflector are built for each other.

On the off chance you can find a fully metal headlight housing with a glass lens, and your wiring is up to snuff, there are H4 halogen bulbs that are *beyond* bright enough (rally bulbs). Make sure you get whatever setup you get aimed well and check your legalities so you don't become a ticket magnet.

Be very wary of any drop-in LED bulbs made to put in any old reflector - with headlights, the reflector and lens design are *very* important to their real world usability.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LED

HID are old news.
View Quote

Old news?  No.  They still put out more light than LED's.  They are just a touch more difficult to install because of the ballast.

Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter.  OEM headlights designed for halogen bulbs will blind the hell out of oncoming traffic with LED's, and especially with HID's installed in them.  

The correct way, is to use projector lenses meant for the bulb design you will be using.  Throwing LED/HID into stock halogen housings is a shitty half-assed way to annoy other drivers on the road at night.  I've been on both sides of the coin...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a pair of good stock headlights.  Don't screw with something essential that works.

Get a set of off-road lights.

EDIT to add: The Forest Service roads out here are dark once the sun goes down.  The rather lackluster sealed beam headlights on the M1009, even on high-beam, just don't cut through it enough to drive more then about 20 MPH- any faster and you may be on top of something before you can react.  I installed two 450 watt 25v aircraft landing lights on the front.  In town they'll put the streetlights out as I move down the street, but they really help out on the FS roads.  

Swapping in LED or HID headlights is a recipe for failure.  If the sealed beam goes out, I can stop in any auto parts store and I'm legal again in ten minutes tops.  

HIDs have a tendency to just not work now but work good again later, and sometimes never again.  LEDs have compatibility issues with lighting control modules in many late model cars, and if it fails you need to order another and wait for it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I stuck with HID because unless you change the entire housing, simply replacing the bulb to led has some negatives

If you want a halogen replacement, look at Phillips crystal ultravision. You'll have to research if these bulbs work in your vehicle.
Mine work fine. White light replacement. I don't get flashed by other drivers.

View Quote
HID are the same. need correct housings to be really effective. Both can work OK in factory housings if the bulbs fit ok, which is pretty hit or miss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top