Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 6:11:09 PM EDT
The first time Rosa saw snowflakes falling, she thought they were pieces of cotton. "I thought I was going to choke," she told me.

Rosa, who is from Honduras, had never seen snow before, but it's become a familiar sight now that she's living in Bozeman, Montana. The city, population about 56,000, is ringed by four mountain ranges in the Northern Rockies. It took her a while, but Rosa has learned to deal with the weather. "Now I think it's very pretty," she said in Spanish. "Our kids love to play in the snow."

Rosa, who has a round, serious face and long black hair, is one of the hundreds of thousands of Hondurans who have been displaced in recent years by a variety of problems: political corruption, gang violence, economic stagnation and environmental catastrophe. In 2020, when gang members threatened to kill her, she abruptly fled the country with her youngest daughter.

Rosa's husband, Luis, had already gone to the U.S. with their older girl and found his way to Bozeman, drawn by the promise of available jobs. "I had a friend here, and he told me that this place was good for finding work," he said. (Rosa and Luis, who are both undocumented, requested that their names be withheld for their safety. The names of all the immigrants quoted in this story have been changed.)

Twenty, even 10, years ago, Bozeman   far from the U.S.-Mexico border and overwhelmingly white   would not have been an obvious destination for a Central American family. One Mexican construction worker who moved here from Colorado in the mid-2000s told me that he used to walk the aisles of the local Walmart and hear only English. That is no longer the case, he said.

Southwestern Montana is in the middle of a massive multi-year economic explosion, propelled by a surge of wealthy people, a multibillion-dollar tech industry, and, especially, a luxury real-estate market that continues to soar to new heights. In February, the median price for a house in Bozeman surpassed $1 million. The resulting demand for construction workers drew people like Luis to Bozeman. Luis, a poker-faced man with a small patch of beard, has as much work as he can handle these days: framing houses, putting up siding and roofing   the most dangerous job and his least favorite.  

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Rosa and Luis need to be deported.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Californians moving in need the same kind of cheap labor they're used to having at home.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
There is some pushback I see.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There's plenty of room for  apartment blocks near the new public safety building. BZ ain't MT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
immigrants Illegal aliens
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry if your life is too bad in Bozeman then go home, its that simple
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
Rosa, who has a round, serious face and long black hair, is one of the hundreds of thousands of Hondurans who have been displaced in recent years by a variety of problems: political corruption, gang violence, economic stagnation and environmental catastrophe. In 2020, when gang members threatened to kill her, she abruptly fled the country with her youngest daughter.
View Quote
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Why does Bozeman need to boom?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Environmental catastrophe? Hogwash.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#13]
They are illegals and need to be deported.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#14]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Rosa and Luis need to be deported.!!!
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope they all get deported.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#17]
The motherfuckers that write these articles need dealt with as well......
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hugh1:
FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hugh1:
Rosa and Luis need to be deported.!!!
FIFY

Don't forget their kids. We don't want to be accused of "breaking up families."
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Round face Rosa with long black hair
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I’m flying into Bozeman next month. I’m glad the influx of Mexicans has brought good food to the region.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Big Sky and Yellowstone Club need someone to work there.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
What a load of crap article.  They are not immigrants.  They are invading illegals who need to go back to their country and fix it.

"A study by the South NorthNexus, a nonprofit that offers immigration legal aid in Montana, estimated that Hispanic immigrants contributed more than $300 million in economic benefits to the Bozeman-area economy in 2022."

Sure that group is unbiased and the illegals probably use many times more in taxpayer assistance.

They need to be deported since their asylum claims have no standing.  Fuck them.   Fix your own shit hole country.

Biden and Myorkas need to be charged with something like treason for allowing these third world vermin in the US.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan convinced me no illegals work in Montana ranches.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Rosa and Luis, who are both undocumented, requested that their names be withheld for their safety.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

"A study by the South NorthNexus, a nonprofit that offers immigration legal aid in Montana, estimated that Hispanic immigrants contributed more than $300 million in economic benefits to the Bozeman-area economy in 2022."

View Quote

funny, they dont dig up the dollar amount it costs to have them here. i'm betting it costs three bucks for every dollar they "contribute" to the state. deport them all to africa, let them swim home.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#26]
The invasion is coming along nicely .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

And their employers and landlords need to be driven to bankruptcy with bad press.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Why does Bozeman need to boom?
View Quote

That's something I have been asking a lot.  Why do cities think they need to run as a for-profit business?  People live there because of the way it is. We don't need more Starbucks and Panda Express.  Seems to be the way it is everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]
There I was, minding my own business, when a gang threatened me so I moved 2000 miles to Montana.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
What a load of crap article.  They are not immigrants.  They are invading illegals who need to go back to their country and fix it.

Sure that group is unbiased and the illegals probably use many times more in taxpayer assistance.

They need to be deported since their asylum claims have no standing.  Fuck them.   Fix your own shit hole country.

Biden and Myorkas need to be charged with something like treason for allowing these third world vermin in the US.
View Quote
If they were that fucking productive, their home country wouldn't be a shit hole
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mancat:
Californians moving in need the same kind of cheap labor they're used to having at home.
View Quote

This. Bozeman is for the rich socialites now and their hired help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

This, shut this shit down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By jb31:

That's something I have been asking a lot.  Why do cities think they need to run as a for-profit business?  People live there because of the way it is. We don't need more Starbucks and Panda Express.  Seems to be the way it is everywhere.
View Quote

The politicians don’t make their kickbacks or get their campaign coffers filled unless they grease the skids for business.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Big Sky and Yellowstone Club need someone to work there.
View Quote

Hire American isn’t just a slogan, it’s the law!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Luis, a poker-faced man with a small patch of beard, has as much work as he can handle these days: framing houses, putting up siding and roofing   the most dangerous job and his least favorite.

Just doing the high paying construction jobs that Americans won't do.  When I was a young man living in CA, construction was a good paying occupation for young men.  They've all been pushed out by people like Luis.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I'm flying into Bozeman next month. I'm glad the influx of Mexicans has brought good food to the region.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I’m flying into Bozeman next month. I’m glad the influx of Mexicans has brought good food to the region.
View Quote

You could...go live in Central America...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By vampgrrl:

View Quote
i've been applying for jobs in spain and new zealand.

no dice but i keep trying.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#40]
One Mexican construction worker who moved here from Colorado in the mid-2000s told me that he used to walk the aisles of the local Walmart and hear only English.
That is no longer the case, he said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By vampgrrl:

View Quote

They have good tacos there ?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GDaawg:

This. Bozeman is for the rich socialites now and their hired help.
View Quote

I thought that was Lolo

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Square66:

The politicians don’t make their kickbacks or get their campaign coffers filled unless they grease the skids for business.
View Quote

Plus, more business/higher land values means more tax revenue. Which means more money for the government, which means more cushy gov't job openings for their friends and family and big raises all around. And maybe a bit easier to hide if a bit of all that money goes missing here and there.
Plus most of the elected officials are likely looking at higher office later down the line. Your campaign for senator tends to go a bit better when you can claim "As mayor of Bozeman for 8 years, I increased the city's economy by 20% added 10,000 jobs and finally brought the city into a budget surplus." vs. "I hung around for 8 years, didn't really feel much needed to be done and mostly left the place the same as it was when I got there."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top