Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 9:17:01 AM EDT
Just stumbled into this.   Watched a couple episodes last night, and it really pulled me in.     I was stationed in Germany at the time, so, this subject is quite interesting to me.

If anybody else has been living under a rock like me, this is a good watch.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in Germany shortly afterwards. I remember the safety briefings that we shouldn't eat any fungus or mushrooms because they would have absorbed a lot of radiation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, I'm permanently jaded. Too many people think it's a documentary. I don't doubt that the set design, acting, and script are riveting, I just can't get past how they play fast and loose with the facts/science.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's drama.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, I'm permanently jaded. Too many people think it's a documentary. I don't doubt that the set design, acting, and script are riveting, I just can't get past how they play fast and loose with the facts/science.  Yeah, yeah, I know it's drama.
View Quote

Did you watch it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I watched it and thought it was pretty good.

My Son was a Navy ET Nuke and reactor operator on subs.  I asked him about it.  He told me it was done well and the science was fairly accurate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What parts did you think played fast and loose with the facts/science?  While there were some things a bit dramatized and compressed, it was pretty accurate to what the people involved actually did, said, and believed at the time, even if it later turned out to be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was an excellent drama, but I also thought it was so-so on the facts... mostly because they felt they had to be overly dramatic with certain minor story elements, combined events to heighten dramatic tension, and how they condensed several real people into single fictional characters for simplicity's sake.

To be fair to the show however most of the stuff I thought was "fast and loose" had little to do with the actual Chernobyl disaster itself and was more the creative embellishment of the human drama elements designed to draw in the feelz-not-thinkz viewers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did you watch it?
View Quote

Nope, scientist wife and sciency college-age kids have.

Quoted:

What parts did you think played fast and loose with the facts/science?  While there were some things a bit dramatized and compressed, it was pretty accurate to what the people involved actually did, said, and believed at the time, even if it later turned out to be wrong.
View Quote

Basically, some "first responders" and workers died of radiation poisoning. Other than that, the predicted long-term health impacts never materialized.  While I'm sure the show was well-done (one son has watched the series like 8 times), it's basically fomenting anti-nuke propoganda.

HBO's 'Chernobyl' just won 10 Emmys — here's what it gets right (and wrong) about the world's worst nuclear power plant accident

10 Times HBO's 'Chernobyl' Got the Science Wrong

How HBO Got It Wrong On Chernobyl

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Basically, some "first responders" and workers died of radiation poisoning. Other than that, the predicted long-term health impacts never materialized.  While I'm sure the show was well-done (one son has watched the series like 8 times), it's basically fomenting anti-nuke propoganda.

HBO's 'Chernobyl' just won 10 Emmys — here's what it gets right (and wrong) about the world's worst nuclear power plant accident

View Quote

Many of the things listed are relatively minor, or things said/believed by people at the time, which turned out to be untrue with the benefit of hindsight.  And yes, there some things done for drama.  But, there is enough left in what was accurately portrayed that it didn’t really change anything.  The whole accident was pretty anti-nuke.  This mini-series didn’t make it any worse.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you watch it?

Quoted:

I've watched the series, and your characterization is incorrect.  It's not anti nuke propaganda.  It may not be perfect in every scientific detail, and they certainly took some dramatic license with the other parts of the show, but most of the the nuclear science is actually correct and quite informative.

As far as the drama is concerned, the show isn't designed to show you the perspective of fifty years later, it's designed to show you what they were thinking at the time.  They did a good job of this.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The "Bridge of death" never happened.

QED
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

HBO's 'Chernobyl' just won 10 Emmys  here's what it gets right (and wrong) about the world's worst nuclear power plant accident

View Quote

Oh well than, I'm a licensed senior reactor operator, and agree with those that say that your characterization is incorrect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top