Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2022 6:29:45 PM EDT
Retired Virginia leo. Shot my annual qual for hr218 card. Do all states recognize this federal law? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They are supposed to, but some individuals may be ignorant of it.  Some may also have additional requirements. I know several years back while in Hawaii, I was supposed to check in with the PD. I  didn’t do it, but found out after the fact. I’m also active LE
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Traveled with it pretty extensively all over the South. No issues at all
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes but not all states allow you to have high capacity mags while in their state. NY and NJ come to mind
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes but not all states allow you to have high capacity mags while in their state. NY and NJ come to mind
View Quote

wait what? So if I go to either of those states, I have to swap in 10rd magazines...? Active btw
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

wait what? So if I go to either of those states, I have to swap in 10rd magazines...? Active btw
View Quote

LEOSA (HR 218) does NOT supersede state law other than allowing you to CC. You still have to abide by state law restrictions such as magazine capacity, prohibited places of carry, etc.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe there are other states as well.  If you were in ny (not sure about  nj) and you were working in your official capacity you’d be ok but if not. 10 rounds for you.  I retired from nypd and I have to use a 10 round mag when I go back
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe there are other states as well.  If you were in ny (not sure about  nj) and you were working in your official capacity you’d be ok but if not. 10 rounds for you.  I retired from nypd and I have to use a 10 round mag when I go back
View Quote

Guess I won’t be traveling to any of those states
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I know the last reply was a week ago, but figure some folks might see this. Before I retired I carried regularly to NJ/NY, both on and off duty. Obviously, on duty was unrestricted but I carried a G27 with standard 10rd mags for off-duty travel up there. I always carried issued ammo, Speer GDHP. This is what I found out after research to CMA:

In addition to the mag capacity restriction on retired LEO, NJ also has a restriction on "hollow point" ammunition. The quote below comes from this NJSP website.

"It should also be noted that, as civilians, retired officers cannot legally carry hollow-point ammunition or utilize high-capacity ammunition magazines (capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition) in the handgun they are carrying."

I'm open to corrections if I misinterpreted it or I missed any updates, I haven't been up there recently (since I retired) and am assuming that the GDHP's are a no-go if I ever make it up there again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know the last reply was a week ago, but figure some folks might see this. Before I retired I carried regularly to NJ/NY, both on and off duty. Obviously, on duty was unrestricted but I carried a G27 with standard 10rd mags for off-duty travel up there. I always carried issued ammo, Speer GDHP. This is what I found out after research to CMA:

In addition to the mag capacity restriction on retired LEO, NJ also has a restriction on "hollow point" ammunition. The quote below comes from this NJSP website.

"It should also be noted that, as civilians, retired officers cannot legally carry hollow-point ammunition or utilize high-capacity ammunition magazines (capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition) in the handgun they are carrying."

I'm open to corrections if I misinterpreted it or I missed any updates, I haven't been up there recently (since I retired) and am assuming that the GDHP's are a no-go if I ever make it up there again.
View Quote

You're correct.

HR218 does not circumvent local/state law... restrictions that apply to the masses also apply to those carrying under LEOSA.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The NJ hollow point restriction is for retired LE living in NJ. Retired LE living outside NJ and covered by LEOSA are allowed to carry hollow point ammunition. However, since LEOSA does not address magazine capacity, you are limited to their magazine restrictions.

12. Can New Jersey RLEOs carry hollow point bullets in New Jersey, and does LEOSA provide any additional authority outside of New Jersey law to carry hollow point bullets?

RLEOs who retired from a New Jersey law enforcement agency and reside in New Jersey cannot carry hollow point bullets in New Jersey. N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(f) states that, with very few, narrow exceptions (none of which apply to an RLEO), only active law enforcement officers are authorized to carry hollow point bullets.

Under LEOSA, all other RLEOs who meet the applicable requirements (see Questions 3-5) may carry any “firearm” as defined by LEOSA. See U.S.C. 926C(e)(1)(A). That term includes “ammunition not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.” 18 U.S.C. 926C(e)(1)(B). However, LEOSA precludes the carrying of “machine guns,” as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5845(b), “silencers,” as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(24), and “destructive devices,” as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4). See 18 U.S.C. 926C(e)(A-C).
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 1:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought there was a court ruling in June 2022 that allowed LEOSA carry hollow points in NJ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought there was a court ruling in June 2022 that allowed LEOSA carry hollow points in NJ?
View Quote

There was an amendment in 2010 that said ammunition not prohibited by the NFA was legal. Meaning hollowpoint ammunition was legal even in NJ. However, as I mentioned for years NJ was restricting retired LE who live in NJ from carrying HP ammo. This restriction does not pertain to retired or active LE not living in NJ.

Here is the 2022 ruling about the lawsuit brought against NJ because the state violated the federal law.

FLEOA, FOP win LEOSA lawsuit against state of New Jersey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top