Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/20/2018 9:58:57 AM EDT
For starters, im in my early 30's 5'11" and about 160lbs.  Not overweight at all, just tired of wasting away in front of my computer for work.

Just signed up for a normal gym for the first time in my life (wasn't too many options now that we live further out of town).  Dont really know what to do, work on, work out plans, etc.  Only thing I use to do heavily was rock climbing, but that ended not long after college.
If I was to set a goal, it would be to get back in that kind of shape. Lean muscle.  Not really one to want to bulk up.

So, how should I go about this at a conventional gym?

Many thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
starting strength, by Mark Rippetoe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the gym have free weights or is it all machines like Planet Fitness?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
if you have free weights start doing StrongLifts 5x5
there is even a free app you can download to track everything
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Even if you don't follow that exact program, start with reading the book.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
And, it's free online.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does the gym have free weights or is it all machines like Planet Fitness?
View Quote
Its a small place, but they have a bit of both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Strength Training is the fountain of youth. We all need it as we age if we want to continue to be active and resistant to injury. Getting stronger will improve your shooting, guaranteed. Don't worry about bulking up, that won't happen unless you are eating enough to make it happen. If you aren't currently lifting, you will get significantly stronger at your current bodyweight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#8]
We have a self defense and fitness sub forum if you want a thread that won't be full of nonsense.

Like was said, Starting Strength or Stronglifts for a few months will teach you how to use a barbell, get you into good habits, and put you into a place where you are strong enough to make progress on a different split later.

The barbell (done properly) will keep you feeling like you are 20. Trust me, I started with one when I was 29, once I got a little bit of strength I felt 10 years younger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you have never done this start slow and progress into harder workouts.
I have seen so many just give up, just look into different workouts, some things might not work for you.
I have been doing weight work outs since I was a teen, over 60 now.

I still have a nice build, the older you get the harder it will be to reverse that gross looking body shape you will get with doing nothing.
I never have been and never will have the big bulked up frame, I have a small frame like you, somewhat smaller.
Good luck and work hard, also add some cardio, like running, bike, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Just do Starting Strength or Stronglifts
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Your first goal, which will be the hardest, should be to make it to the gym everyday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you follow Starting Strength to a T you WILL get fat, Mark even tells you that in the book.  The OP said he wants lean.

GOMAD = not lean.

ETA:  I am not questioning the merits of Starting Strength.  I'm questioning why y'all are recommending it to the OP when it doesn't suit his goals?

His goals are not your goals.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Look up superset.  I worked out for two hours a day, 5 days a week for about a year.  
Once I added supersets to my routine, my strength went up quite significantly.

Stick with weight that you can maintain perfect smooth form with at first, and use dumbbells as much as possible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your first goal, which will be the hardest, should be to make it to the gym everyday.
View Quote
So true
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to keep that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired. Finally decided to go a different route and started doing more cardio activities with 1 day of weights. I work out 3-4 days a week in the morning and my stamina throughout the day has become much better.

This is what I did this morning as an example

Rest 60 secs between sets. Light weight (I do this as a way of warming up)

-Romanian deadlift x3 8 reps
-Dumbbell pullover x3 8 reps

Perform the following exercises back to back for 20 mins.
Do not rest unless you need it.
Do as many circuits as possible.

-Squat 20 reps (either body or weights)
-Pushups 10 reps
-Inverted rows 10 reps
-Lunges 10 reps each leg (either body or weights)
-Underhand inverted rows 10 reps
-Mountain climbers 10 reps each leg

Run 1 mile
Rowing 5-10 mile

This whole thing took me 1 hour to complete and I was exhausted but felt amazing! I do this on Monday and Friday. Wednesday I do a full body weight training session. The rest of the days I do yoga, run 1-3 miles, and rest.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Cardio kills.  Really.

High intensity exercise like sprints, and weights.  You don't have to be a powerlifter but don't just try to "tone up."  That's what woman say.

Also, fuck crossfit.  It's priorities are all wrong.

Do the basic deadlift, squat, press movements and some other accessory work.  You will gain weight but it will be muscle and you won't have a dad bod and be skinny fat anymore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to put on that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired.
View Quote
You have to eat a lot to gain weight, why not do an actual 3 or 4 day lifting program and eat like a horse if you want to bulk up?

6 days a week is unsustainable for most people, it just beats you up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Stronglifts 5 x 5.  It uses compound lifts to get the most bang for your buck, and teaches you the basics.  Great for beginners.

Also, most importantly is diet.  Learn how may calories you need and figure your macros.  You can't out lift a shitty diet.  I would suggest doing a food journal for a week or two; it will really open your eyes when you sit down and look at what you are putting in your body.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You have to eat a lot to gain weight, why not do an actual 3 or 4 day lifting program and eat like a horse if you want to bulk up?

6 days a week is unsustainable for most people, it just beats you up.
View Quote
Because I was working each part of the body individually. I was also eating a lot like I said which would make me tired throughout the day. I have a very high metabolism so I had to eat even when I wasn't hungry. I did this for a whole year and put on 20 lbs of muscle but I had to keep it up in order to stay that size which like you said is unsustainable. That's why I now only workout in the gym 3-4 days and the rest I do outside activities.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Starting strength is a good base for building strength and will move fat to muscle if you follow the plan for the most part
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, but if you've never even stepped foot in the gym it might be worth paying for a month of personal training. Having someone teach you basic lifts and watch your form would be money well spent towards remaining injury and bad habit free.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Man 2.0, Engineering the Alpha by bornstein.

Whenever I need to go back to basics, this is my benchmark. Also p90x ab ripper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

-Pushups 10 reps
-Inverted rows 10 reps

Run 1 mile
Rowing 5-10 mile

This whole thing took me 1 hour to complete and I was exhausted but felt amazing! I do this on Monday and Friday. Wednesday I do a full body weight training session. The rest of the days I do yoga, run 1-3 miles, and rest.
View Quote
Great info.  A lot of these seem easy to understand (beginner here) Keep it coming guys,
Many  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Average Joe’s is what you seek.......
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
And, it's free online.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, it's free online.  
Only to asshole FSA. Don’t be FSA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]
StrongLifts 5x5 is a solid program, and their app is great. Makes it super easy to follow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do want to be able to dodge wrenches...

But really...
Wanting to be closer to getting back to this shape...

Vs trying to be this....

Seems reasonable
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Great info.  A lot of these seem easy to understand (beginner here) Keep it coming guys,
Many  Thanks!
View Quote
It's good to keep it easy. If you make it complicated then you will dread wanting to go to the gym.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, it's free online.  
Why do you hate free access to the world's knowledge?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great info.  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to put on that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired. Finally decided to go a different route and started doing more cardio activities with 1 day of weights. I work out 3-4 days a week in the morning and my stamina throughout the day has become much better.

-Pushups 10 reps
-Inverted rows 10 reps

Run 1 mile
Rowing 5-10 mile

Great info.  Thanks!
Don't listen to it if you want to get bigger.

You need to eat a lot of food, buying a food scale and tracking everything you put in your mouth for a few months helps a ton. You need to lift heavy (heavy is relative to your max, not anyone else's) 3-4 times a week, and you need to get lots of sleep.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This, but if you've never even stepped foot in the gym it might be worth paying for a month of personal training. Having someone teach you basic lifts and watch your form would be money well spent towards remaining injury and bad habit free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
99% of personal trainers in gyms are retards that don’t know how to perform the lifts correctly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You need to eat a lot of food, buying a food scale and tracking everything you put in your mouth for a few months helps a ton. You need to lift heavy (heavy is relative to your max, not anyone else's) 3-4 times a week, and you need to get lots of sleep.
View Quote
Not really looking to get bulk... see the op, and the post a couple about this one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Not really looking to get bulk...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really looking to get bulk...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Stick to basics-

Squat
Push Press
Bench Press
Deadlift (full disclosure - I don't deadlift  :)  )
Rows

They are boring but they work.  There is a lot of good youtube videos out there.  I would say check out a channel called Athlean-X.  The guy who runs it goes through proper form, why it is the proper form, and has a slight focus on injury prevention.  He is a trainer and physical therapist.  Lots of great technical info.  If I had to go back to the beginning (been lifting 20+ years) and start over again, I would have added in more mobility and core work.  I would dedicate a day in my split to it, which I am starting to do now.  Also, would focus more on adding this into every workout on the mobility side of the house.  How you train, is going to depend on your goal.

Also eat the basics
-protein (1g per kg)
and the rest of your calories find the right mix of carbs/fats.  minimum fat requirements vary, but usually between 45-60g per day depending...
there is a lot of info on the net and youtube for this.

You can't out train a bad diet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#36]
P90X.  It works.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hollywood27.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dodgeball-movie-dodge-a-wrench.gif

But really...
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/17/8c/e8178c7b51f69a781c54a252a9668446--bouldering-rock-climbing.jpg

Vs trying to be this....
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-24ae2e9adf8f374e6a961004185d4119-c

Seems reasonable
I'm sure you will have a difficult time not getting huge.  The struggle is real.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#38]
lol.

You'll never be Bradley Martyn. I friggin promise. Even if you tried really, really hard. Even if your mama told you you could be anything you wanted to be when you grow up, you will never be Bradley Martyn. So get that out of your head.

Eat more protien. Lift weights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with sitd whatever his name is.

That's shit advise. Lift.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, it's free online.  
Only to asshole FSA. Don't be FSA.
Seriously, wtf?  Mark puts the info out there for free. Startingstrength.com has the full program and reasoning therefore all for free. Just go to the website and read. FSA!?!?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Make sure you wear a hoodie or knit hat. Jam up the machine in between sets and update your Facebook. If nobody is waiting to use the machine just surf the web for awhile. In the event someone wants to do a set while you are letting everyone know on Facebook you are lifting just tell them to wait because you only have a few more sets.
It is important what you wear. Most of this other advice about how to actually work out is bullshit. If you can pull it off wear sunglasses. That is bad ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm like you 5'11" 155lbs. Tried bulking up by banging weights 6 days a week but it's hard for me to keep that bulk without eating constantly and I was always tired. Finally decided to go a different route and started doing more cardio activities with 1 day of weights. I work out 3-4 days a week in the morning and my stamina throughout the day has become much better.

-Pushups 10 reps
-Inverted rows 10 reps

Run 1 mile
Rowing 5-10 mile

View Quote
Lame.  Lame as hell.  So incredibly lame that this is exactly what sitdwnhngon was referring to when he advised the OP to take this to the SD&F forum and get intelligent answers.  So backwards that it might as well include the advise to eat 1200 calories a day and do the stair stepper behind your gym girlfriend.  So retarded that he forgot to include the need for muscle confusion and doing what makes you sore so you know it's working. So stupid that he might as well have mentioned that weight lifting won't help your heart health and you'll need to do some cardio or you'll get all swole and die walking up the stairs.  So unhelpful that he should advise the OP to stick with smith machines and cables to reduce risk of injury.  Did we mention that body building muscles aren't as strong as farming muscles?

OP, get the Starting Strength book.

Read it.  Do the program.  You will have to bust your ass for years to get 'huge', but if you get under a barbell and STICK TO THE PROGRAM you'll have better knees, back and energy than you've had in years.  You'll have enough strength that if you decide to go into any other type of fitness, sports, exercise or whatever, you'll have a good base to work from.  It will never set you back, and it will pay dividends to your health for decades.

Bodyweight workouts?  Pfft.  Maybe some dips after your overhead presses....
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

99% of personal trainers in gyms are retards that don’t know how to perform the lifts correctly.
View Quote
Your wrong. That numbers is way off. The percentage of personal trainers with autism is much higher than 99%.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm sure you will have a difficult time not getting huge.  The struggle is real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hollywood27.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Dodgeball-movie-dodge-a-wrench.gif

But really...
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e8/17/8c/e8178c7b51f69a781c54a252a9668446--bouldering-rock-climbing.jpg

Vs trying to be this....

Seems reasonable
One time I did an extra set of bench press, I woke up the next day and looked like Arnold. It was terrible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But really...

Vs trying to be this....

Seems reasonable
OP is a woman.

Trust me, you won't get that big without trying really hard.  Get your ass in the gym and get stronger.  Stop worrying about "getting bulky."

You will feel better and look better.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

lol.

You'll never be Bradley Martyn. I friggin promise. Even if you tried really, really hard. Even if your mama told you you could be anything you wanted to be when you grow up, you will never be Bradley Martyn. So get that out of your head.

Eat more protien. Lift weights.
View Quote
LOL obviously, but just stating what the goals are and quick visual guide for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too...

Lean muscle & in shape vs bulk.
Being hunched over a desk, drafting table, etc etc wears on the back, and im tired of feeling old.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

OP is a woman.

Trust me, you won't get that big without trying really hard.  Get your ass in the gym and get stronger.  Stop worrying about "getting bulky."

You will feel better and look better.
View Quote
I didn't realize OP was a woman, but the advise is the same.  My wife has had amazing results from a year of just strength training before she got into crossfit.  She is in better physical condition at 43 than she's ever been in her life.

Women really should lift, it does wonders for them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lame.  Lame as hell.  So incredibly lame that this is exactly what sitdwnhngon was referring to when he advised the OP to take this to the SD&F forum and get intelligent answers.  So backwards that it might as well include the advise to eat 1200 calories a day and do the stair stepper behind your gym girlfriend.  So retarded that he forgot to include the need for muscle confusion and doing what makes you sore so you know it's working. So stupid that he might as well have mentioned that weight lifting won't help your heart health and you'll need to do some cardio or you'll get all swole and die walking up the stairs.  So unhelpful that he should advise the OP to stick with smith machines and cables to reduce risk of injury.  Did we mention that body building muscles aren't as strong as farming muscles?

OP, get the Starting Strength book.

Read it.  Do the program.  You will have to bust your ass for years to get 'huge', but if you get under a barbell and STICK TO THE PROGRAM you'll have better knees, back and energy than you've had in years.  You'll have enough strength that if you decide to go into any other type of fitness, sports, exercise or whatever, you'll have a good base to work from.  It will never set you back, and it will pay dividends to your health for decades.

Bodyweight workouts?  Pfft.  Maybe some dips after your overhead presses....
View Quote
SCW is correct. Do it.

But it hurts my heart a little when you make fun of bodyweight workouts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LOL obviously, but just stating what the goals are and quick visual guide for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too...

Lean muscle & in shape vs bulk.
Being hunched over a desk, drafting table, etc etc wears on the back, and im tired of feeling old.
View Quote
Yep, that's exactly what got me into the gym.  I've been trying to get coworkers to do the same but they 'don't want to get huge'.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But really...

Vs trying to be this....

Seems reasonable
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top