Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I lay on an extremely hot heat pad for 1 hour while eating 4 ibuprofen and drinking 32 ounces of water.  Then i hang upside down on an inversion table for 5 or 6 minutes in 20 to 40 second segments.  Once that is over, i get off the inversion table without putting any weight on my back and i crawl to the couch where i lay on an ice bag for 30 minutes, then i crawl to bed.  2 days of this will heal my back by 90 to 100 percent.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My lumbar spine was tore up.

Dr. Shah Siddiqi at Texas Spine Center is an incredible surgeon.  He is absolutely worth the travel to Houston if you do not live there.  Minimally invasive discectomy and laminectomy, from L1 through S1 has me feeling like a whole new person.

I tried chiropractic therapies of all different types, epidural spinal injections, exercises and stretches with physical therapy, etc.  None of it worked and I got to the point where I was unable to move from hips down and had to be carried out of my house by paramedics.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple from a 20yr old injury. Even now my back goes out sometimes

I stretch daily, and found some good videos on YouTube.

I also bought a specific style brace to wear when it goes out, recommended by a family doctor friend. Cuts my recovery times by more than half. This is not your normal warehouse fat guy worker brace. This thing works wonders!

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I’ve been stuck on the floor for 2-3 hours, could not get up. It was bad. But now when I feel I might need support or even after the fact, I use the brace. It will probably give you some relief.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Lose weight, and keep active by low impact exercise, such as walking.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good chiro and a lot of time.
View Quote

This, plus the more active you are the better. At least for me.

Also, traction worked wonders for me. Don’t let them tell you that you only need 25# of pull, I’m at 150# and it feels great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear that OP. My wife has a herniated disk in her back as well for years now and for her the steroid shot only made her sick to her stomach for a week. It’s hell for her a lot of days.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Surgery
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I had 3 herniated discs when i was around 28. I got the shot.  I have been decent for the past 12 years.  Still can't run unless I want to lay on the floor for at least 1 day after.  Eliptical is fine.  I take advil before I know I am going to lift something heavy like yard work.  Helps a little but will still be sore for a couple days.  Just sore as in getting up slow when sitting for while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Foam roller, daily stretching, planks, side planks, and back extensions.  Chiropractor for a tune up every once in a while.  2 herniated and arthritic discs so I feel you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Surgery, twice. The first time I was 32, the second at 46. It was the only thing that helped.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Suck the jelly back in the donut.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
For lower lumbar herniation, anything that activated and strengthened my hamstrings, gluteus maximus, medius, and especially minimus. Lunges, sumo deadlifts, hip bridges, bird dog with resistance bands, side lying hip abduction with resistance bands, seated hip abduction, leg raise hold, split squat followed by planks and when tolerable, side planks (short duration as side planks triggered a lot of sharp pain). Most were bodyweight or with light resistance bands and increasing with weights when pain started lessening. For stretching, specifically frog stretch to stretch hip adductors.

Inversion table at 45* angle to take some pressure off and relieve pain without relying on NSAIDs but no longer than 20 seconds since that also exacerbated the pain.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]
These guys saved my back and from surgery

Absolute Best Exercise for Sciatica & Herniated Disc- McKenzie Approach.

I couldn’t walk or sit without pain. Did the stretches a set of 10 every hour and in a few weeks the pain was gone.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#14]
actually nothing will help, dont do surgery.  I made that mistake and have multiple broken screws and pins on top of 4 cadaver discs they tried to put in me that didnt take... ive learned to live with the pain. I do not take any pain killers but motrin on a daily basis.  depending on how bad your discs are I wouldnt recommend a chiro, they can make it 10 times worse.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
These guys saved my back and from surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfpWjqVP6U

I couldn't walk or sit without pain. Did the stretches a set of 10 every hour and in a few weeks the pain was gone.
View Quote

Jeez, they're PTs and still they reduce McKenzie to extension.  

The McKenzie protocol is about mechanical diagnosis and treatment - not one set of positions and exercises.

ETA:
OP, do review the various anecdotes about personal experiences with good outcomes.  Ignore the stream of pronouncements from people who haven't examined your or even read your imaging.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Honestly? Exercise. It's easy to overdo it, so you have to be smart, but when I stick to my schedule and workout 5 times a week my back give me very little trouble.

If I slack off just for a couple/three days I'm likely to have a flare up.

Most of the disks in my lower back are about 1/3 of the thickness they are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#17]
A laminectomy and discectomy is what fixed my herniated L5-S1 disc (happened Sept. '20).  When I was in the hospital the surgeon told me that there were basically 2 kinds of herniated discs; the first had a 90% chance of healing on its own and the second had a 50% of healing on its own.  My herniated disc was the second kind.  After 2 days of not much improvement in the hospital I opted for surgery.  I was really nervous about it as it was my first ever surgery.  It actually went pretty well though.  After surgery I did about 4 months of PT.  Since then I've just been very careful with my back and it's been ok.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You will need surgery. Make sure to do your homework on doctors before getting it though.
View Quote

Whatever you do don't listen to this guy. One you open up your back it's a slippery slope. Only do it as an absolute, and I mean absolute resort.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:35:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A good chiro and a lot of time.
View Quote

This is the only thing that helped.  Not even pain pills helped as much as a chiropractor.  The hard part is finding a damn good one.  Luckily I did and it still took almost 4 years.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:37:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Epidural steroid shots.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Might have already been said buut!

Do Not Get A Fusion of any sort!

I have had both discectomy's and fusions. DE's worked, fusions fucked me in the long run!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Ruptured my C7-T1 (cervicothoracic junction) in 2020 and have been in *some* pain ever since.  Heat made it worse but ice helped.  Massage therapy helped but didn’t last very long - less than a day.  Pain pills worked to take the edge off but I was always dizzy and sleepy.  Did steroid injections 2 times in 6 months and that got me through to surgery in November of 2020.  

Surgery did help but only about 50%.  ACDF surgery wasn’t bad but I had a violent reaction when I woke up and they just watched as I struggled to breathe.  Texas Back Institute ended up being a poor choice for me.

I’ll be having surgery number 2 after my ablation procedure for afib, but that’s another story altogether, so it may be a while.

Good luck, spine issues suck!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:49:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So my big surprise at 42 is I have two herniated discs  one pressing on my sciatic nerve.  The other one I can’t tell just showed up on a CT.

So far a chiropractor has helped.  However some days (I’m on week five of back and leg pain.)
Pain is so bad I can’t function,  other days I get around okay.

For the time period I’ve quit riding horses,  I own a rescue ranch so it’s driving me crazy and I need to get back to light riding at some point.

No running (also making me crazy)
No gym,  yep crazy.

Advice Ar15. Com am I screwed?
View Quote

Pilates!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you're carrying extra weight, lose it.
View Quote

Are you telling me my 300lbs of fat is not good for me?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
  Maybe I am confusing herniated with ruptured.
View Quote

Herniated is where the disk is pushed out from the vertebrae. Ruptured is when the disk has lost the fluid due to a hole.

It took 5 yrs of rehab to recover from L3- L4-L5 herniation (1998). I have good days and bad days. I no longer try sports like bowling due to the twisting nature while throwing 16 lbs. Stopped smoking, and continue to go to the gym.

Occasionally take a hydrocodone when I have a bad day and walk gingerly. Being a FF, I have to take care not to reaggravate the old injury.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:45:03 AM EDT
[#26]
My friend had a bulge on one of the discs in his lumbar region. It was sort of like a pimple or bump that occasionally pushed on his spinal cord causing pain. One day, this pimple wore through and it burst it's jelly like contents right into his spinal cord. = Massive pain. He had enough and traveled to Arizona and went through orthoscopic surgery to scoop out this herniated disc. They make a small cut in the skin near your spine, about 1", and go in with a tube like tool to remove the rupture + all of the pressure. He finally got some relief after the 20+ years of pain. He's a little shorter now but it was worth it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
My saving grace was losing weight and strengthening stomach muscles. Life changing. I haven't been laid up in bed in years (knock on wood).
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#28]
My back surgeon said 90% of back problems should be gone in 90 days.  If not surgery.
I wish I would have ran into him 4 years earlier.  
Hope you have a speedy recovery.  
I would get relief from epidurals and anti inflammatory’s but was only temporary
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Teeter HangUps / inversion table

A slow regimen of progressive decompression. Little by little getting to the point where I could flip upside down and hang for a few mins.

Docs gave me the typical physical therapy pain killer shit. I knew I could do mote so I bought the teeter. Best money I've ever spent.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Numerous surgeries.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top