Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/20/2022 5:47:02 PM EDT
So my big surprise at 42 is I have two herniated discs  one pressing on my sciatic nerve.  The other one I can’t tell just showed up on a CT.

So far a chiropractor has helped.  However some days (I’m on week five of back and leg pain.)
Pain is so bad I can’t function,  other days I get around okay.

For the time period I’ve quit riding horses,  I own a rescue ranch so it’s driving me crazy and I need to get back to light riding at some point.

No running (also making me crazy)
No gym,  yep crazy.

Advice Ar15. Com am I screwed?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
A good chiro and a lot of time.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I misread the title and winced.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Intraforamenal steroid injections (look it up), anti-inflammatories, and a lot of patience. Mostly.
   Back brace and heat/massage is some help and a TENS machine offers brief relief.
 Good luck, I'll pray for you. Shit sucks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats what I’m hoping for,  I’m in decent shape not overweight, lift etc.  plus farm life keeps me active.

I started going to a chiropractor and have seen some improvement.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
might try inversion table. consult a physician, in case of issues being upside down
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Spinal surgeon with a titanium plate
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Intraforamenal steroid injections (look it up), anti-inflammatories, and a lot of patience. Mostly.
   Back brace and heat/massage is some help and a TENS machine offers brief relief.
View Quote

Thank you I’m also a associate/ slash student pastor I appreciate the prayer.

I’m getting my patience is the key.  I have started to look at the injections.  Did they help you in the beginning of treatment?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Good Physical Therapist.

In before the lift heavy and hang upside down like a bat crowd.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:54:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thats what I’m hoping for,  I’m in decent shape not overweight, lift etc.  plus farm life keeps me active.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear you are seeing improvement. Take it easy for a while, give yourself a chance to heal. Whatever age you are, you're not as young as you used to be.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#10]
On the side that you have the sciatic nerve pain: Lay on your back and super slowly raise that leg off the ground (like a leg lift) the super slowly bend the knee and continue to bring the leg toward your chest. Super slowly return to the starting position.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Planking
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I have herniated cervical and lumbar disks.  I have good days and bad days.  Physical therapy and traction helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Ask your Doc if the MinuteMan procedure is for you. Two weeks into mine I'm sore but my backpain is gone.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#14]
find a good PT.  do what she says.

aleve.

whiskey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
For ruptured disks in my neck impinging on nerves I had OxyContin Valium and surgery. Twice.  

For an inflamed nerve in my neck below the fusion or a ruptured disk in my lower back that only acts up 1-2x per year I found deep tissue massage and PT 3x week for 3 weeks gets rid of the issues/pain/sciatica.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Drugs, sex, booze in any order or combination.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Drugs, sex, booze in any order or combination.
View Quote
Hunter S. Thompson  'I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.'
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Steroids have given temporary relief, as have surgery.............but hasnt completely eliminated the pain
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Surgery
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Pins and screws. L5-S1.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Chiro did not help, shots in that area of my back did a little for a short time.

Surgery and time helped me. 20+ years and I still avoid twisting movements ( no golf ). Sleep on a firm bed. I do visit the gym often to focus on a few core exercises and do the basics when lifting. I ride a bicycle with my wife if the weather permits.

Watch the quantity of your intake and what you take in because you need to keep the weight off your mid section
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Yoga and massage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Time controlled excercise anti-depressants and anti-inflamatory drugs.  I wasn't a good candidate for laminectomy or surgery .  It was so painful for about a year the mild anti-depressant was helpful as it helps overcome a feeling of helplessness that can accompany a disc problem.  With time I was back to near normal in two years
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m glad to hear y’all have had some recovery.

42 is to young, Lord willing, to not give up on an active life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Building muscle to support my spine.

Note: I was already pretty strong, but neglected my upper back/neck area.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Steroids have given temporary relief, as have surgery.............but hasnt completely eliminated the pain
View Quote

^^^
This, after 2 back surgeries and countless epidural shots for herniated lumbar discs - multiple, still have pain, and as a bonus parting gift - permanent nerve damage in both legs. Chiropractors and Physical Therapists did not work for me, actually inflamed my issues.

If you are in major pain for more than 6-8 weeks, you need to see a surgeon.

Good Luck.

ETA: 57YO, first issue was in my 20's, then again in my early 50's, all the while being a very active guy. Somewhere along the line I broke my back, and it was never diagnosed. I haven't been able to ride horses in over 2 years now. Sucks. Also, my days of bucking hay on the farm are long over.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chiro did not help, shots in that area of my back did a little for a short time.

Surgery and time helped me. 20+ years and I still avoid twisting movements ( no golf ). Sleep on a firm bed. I do visit the gym often to focus on a few core exercises and do the basics when lifting. I ride a bicycle with my wife if the weather permits.

Watch the quantity of your intake and what you take in because you need to keep the weight off your mid section
View Quote

Weight gain has been a concern.  I dropped 30 plus pounds years ago and have been able to keep my weight around 158 I’m five ten for reference.

I’ve been eating smaller portions and I still have to work the farm though the heavy lifting had been relegated to my boys.  Lots of walking and moving live stock l.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thank you I'm also a associate/ slash student pastor I appreciate the prayer.

I'm getting my patience is the key.  I have started to look at the injections.  Did they help you in the beginning of treatment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you I'm also a associate/ slash student pastor I appreciate the prayer.

I'm getting my patience is the key.  I have started to look at the injections.  Did they help you in the beginning of treatment?
  Sort of. Mine was a series of three a month apart (I think. Might have been two months). I got some relief from the first one, the second work so well that I skipped the third. It takes a few days for effects after each one.
 Find a first rate doc and let them guide you. I had a piece of disk tear completely loose and press on the sciatic nerve.  It was a matter of waiting on my body to re-absorb the piece of disk. YMMV of course. Seek professional opinions.

Family softball game got me. I was playing like I was 23 not 53.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're carrying extra weight, lose it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm glad to hear y'all have had some recovery.

View Quote
took me about a year to feel better again.

it was a long year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

it was a long year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm glad to hear y'all have had some recovery.

it was a long year.
  Was quoted 6-8 months, started feeling pretty much normal about 4-5 months in. Counted myself lucky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats what I'm hoping for,  I'm in decent shape not overweight, lift etc.  plus farm life keeps me active.

View Quote

(Chiropractor here.)

You are on the right track.  Everything mentioned in the thread so far has its place - depending on all the fine details of the overall case and the moment.  A good DC is entirely capable of managing your care and referring you out for RX inflammation / pain control or more invasive treatments if/when you need them.

You should be getting clear info from your DC about what to do, what not to do, how to gauge your situation, and what you need to be doing on your own to relieve and ultimately recover.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Injections 100% helped me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Shots in my spine and radio ablation
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

^^^
This, after 2 back surgeries and countless epidural shots for herniated lumbar discs - multiple, still have pain, and as a bonus parting gift - permanent nerve damage in both legs. Chiropractors and Physical Therapists did not work for me, actually inflamed my issues.

If you are in major pain for more than 6-8 weeks, you need to see a surgeon.

Good Luck.

ETA: 57YO, first issue was in my 20's, then again in my early 50's, all the while being a very active guy. Somewhere along the line I broke my back, and it was never diagnosed. I haven't been able to ride horses in over 2 years now. Sucks. Also, my days of bucking hay on the farm are long over.
View Quote

Man that is tough.  The only bonus so far has been my boys move hay.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Had a fusion with titanium cages in 97- pain gone and feel strong. I always stayed active and kept my weight down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a bulging disk (not yet ruptured) and my Chiropractor used a DRX 9000 to decompress my spine. It's basically like a computer controlled traction device. The first few times I was treated, I was in even more pain than when I started, but by the end of the series of treatments (10, I think), I was completely pain free. A later MRI showed that my previously bulging disk was back in its correct location.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Blew my disk out at 23 landing a massive jump snowboarding.

They wanted surgery. Fuck that.

I went to the chiropractor for about 3 months and did a massive amount of stretching and core work.

I’ll be 34 and have had zero issues since that day. I stay up on stretching and exercising.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#39]
You will need surgery. Make sure to do your homework on doctors before getting it though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Surgery but my disc wasn’t just hanging out a bit, it was exploded on both sides. Find the best neurosurgeon you can afford.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#41]
A chiro isn't gonna do shit for you.  

Get a good PT and develop a good maintenance program.  

Prevention.  Exercise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You will need surgery. Make sure to do your homework on doctors before getting it though.
View Quote
  This is a blanket statement and is no way conclusive.  Situations vary.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#43]
If you had a disk blowout you would have eventually required surgery.

No amount of stretching/workout will put the disk(s) back together.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#44]
ICE
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So my big surprise at 42 is I have two herniated discs  one pressing on my sciatic nerve.  The other one I can’t tell just showed up on a CT.

So far a chiropractor has helped.  However some days (I’m on week five of back and leg pain.)
Pain is so bad I can’t function,  other days I get around okay.

For the time period I’ve quit riding horses,  I own a rescue ranch so it’s driving me crazy and I need to get back to light riding at some point.

No running (also making me crazy)
No gym,  yep crazy.

Advice Ar15. Com am I screwed?
View Quote

Nothing…I continue to workout, stretch and concentrate on core/back exercises.

I have an appt in a month for Facet steroid injections in order to help with fluid on my spine/facets and to help the herniated discs.

I’ll let you know how it works.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I did chiro and muscle relaxants, but eventually I had to get surgery.

But, barring that - and after my surgery - it always helped to do this back-bending exercise: You lay flat on your stomach, and do wimp pushups. Lift entire upper body with arm strength, leaving your hips centered on the ground. Bends the back, squishing those popped-out discs back into place. Do a mess of them, put ice on that area, and it can't hurt. You might need to shave off some disc like I did (wasn't too bad a deal, I was up and walking two days after surgery), but those stretches and ice always seem to put everything back into place and ease the leg / back pain at least temporarily.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the disk blew out-  it will need surgery.

There is no band aid for a ruptured disk
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Stubbornness lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I am confusing herniated with ruptured.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nothing…I continue to workout, stretch and concentrate on core/back exercises.

I have an appt in a month for Facet steroid injections in order to help with fluid on my spine/facets and to help the herniated discs.

I’ll let you know how it works.
View Quote

Please do and thank you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top