Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
ARKO This stuff lasts a long time. Smells a bit like medicine, an old barbershop, but slick and lathers nice. Best of all is super cheap. I am just now finishing my first stick and it's probably been 9 months. I have all other kinds of fancy soaps, but I keep coming back to this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Colonel conk soap is awesome.

Taylor of old bond shaving creams are good.

Try a few different ones.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Try this, it's a softer shave soap, not that hard puck, Lather & Wood Shaving Soap - Barbershop - Simply The Best Luxury Shaving Cream - Tallow - Dense Lather with Fantastic Scent for The Worlds Best Wet Shaving.
Most of the shave saops can be pricey.
I also just use some canned Barbasol shave cream, really cheap and fast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Tabac. Very thick and rich. Great smell too. Little more expensive but blows Colonel Conk out of the water.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Tabac, period.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taylor of Old Bond Street.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Stirling soap.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wife got me a wet shaving kit for Christmas with the bowl brush and soap.  The soap Puck it comes with isn't that great, it works but not very slick.  I already have a razor and use feather or astra blades

What soap/cream does the hive recommend for wet shaving?

I know some guys here make their own and that's cool but I'm lazy and rather just buy it.
View Quote

For a Puck, I've really liked Acca Kappa Almond Shaving Soap

For a cream. This is hard to beat.  My current favorite.  Triumph and Disaster Old Fashioned Shave Cream  Its slick, and not only does it smell great, I cant keep the wife off me afterwards too

Taylor of Old Bond St was great too but something in it makes my allergies flair up.  Itchy eyes and runny nose after using it lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Geo trumper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This is what you seek: Omega Shaving Cream

Haven't used anything else in years.  It is the bomb.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I use whatever better quality hair conditioners my wife might have lying around. I get a smoother shave than with any dedicated shave product I've used.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is right answer or Cremo if you need something you can find easily at local store. Coconut Mango and mint are favorites.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ARKO This stuff lasts a long time. Smells a bit like medicine, an old barbershop, but slick and lathers nice. Best of all is super cheap. I am just now finishing my first stick and it's probably been 9 months. I have all other kinds of fancy soaps, but I keep coming back to this.
View Quote
To me it smells like citronella, some people compare the scent to a urinal puck lol. I don't mind it at all, I'm tempted to buy one of the twist up deodorant style tubes, but I always forget it when I'm ordering.

Twist up tube
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I shave in the shower with a Harry's, and use shampoo.
I never get a razor bump.

Be cheap.
Be free.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is pretty decent for the money.
I like the Prorasso tube cream. It is also sold under the name C.O. Bigelow, which I got at Bath and Bodyworks for a steal with a coupon that they are always sending out in the mail.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me it smells like citronella, some people compare the scent to a urinal puck lol. I don't mind it at all, I'm tempted to buy one of the twist up deodorant style tubes, but I always forget it when I'm ordering.

Twist up tube
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twist up tube
Yeah i have a couple of the tubes. They work great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#18]
If the primary criteria is slickness, then the tube products tend to be better.  Tend.   They are like shaving off a gel or thick lotion, as opposed to a more fluffy lather with soaps.  

I normally use a soap product.  There are tons of good ones.  

But, when it comes to shaving a 3 or 4 day growth, tube products like Cremo provide me with the slickest and closest shave.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Williams.  I've been using it for years.  The trick is to wash your face with a good soap first.  That hot water and soap is what softens the beard.  It's hard to find now so I order it online in 5 packs.  I shave in the shower.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Sandalwood is the manly scent you seek.
The Art of Shaving makes the best sandalwood shave cream.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Be cheap.
Be free.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't understand it. A can of barbasol lasts forever and a pack of 12 disposables probably lasts damn near a year for me and costs $3. Shaving is a task I just do when I need to, I don't understand fetishizing it at all. Brushing my teeth gets more of my attention than shaving.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Proraso in the tube!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Red (sandalwood) Proraso in the bowl.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I would wet shave in the shower as the last thing before I got out.  

Using some pre-shave oil was an immense help avoiding razor burn and getting a truly close shave, but it was really expensive.  So I wrote to a company and told them about allergies I had so I needed to know what ingredients were in their pre-shave oil.

The primary ingredients were grape seed oil, jojoba, aloe, eucalyptus oil, and a few fragrances.  So I started making my own by using 60% grape seed oil, 15% each of jojoba and aloe, 5% eucalyptus, and 5% fragrances like sandalwood, myrrh, and other scents...

Wash face, apply pre-shave oil, use the hottest water that will come out of the tap and mix up as thick of a lather as possible, apply generous beard of lather, and shave.  If you use too much water, the lather will be runny and not very thick.

The above sequence gave me a really close shave with very little irritation, razor burn, nicks, or hot spots.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cremo - in the tube.  Slick as snot.  

View Quote

This right here is what I use.  I also rub some grapeseed oil on my adam's apple first, because it's very easy to tear my skin up there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tabac is my go to.
View Quote

This is the correct response.  Tabac is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Cremo if you use a Mach 5 or one of those other abominations.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't understand it. A can of barbasol lasts forever and a pack of 12 disposables probably lasts damn near a year for me and costs $3. Shaving is a task I just do when I need to, I don't understand fetishizing it at all. Brushing my teeth gets more of my attention than shaving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be cheap.
Be free.

A Toyota Corolla gets you from point A to point B.  Why would you drive anything else?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damm you! Now I have to try another shaving soap! I just ordered it. I've never used a tallow based soap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A really great shaving soap that can be lathered right in the jar is Sir Hair.  You can buy it right on Amazon.  It travels well because it never leaves the jar.   I have a ton of soaps that I like, but I highly recommend this.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00X20462S

Damm you! Now I have to try another shaving soap! I just ordered it. I've never used a tallow based soap.

I wasn't really impressed with the Sir Hair soap. It smelled nice, but that lather left a lot to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wasn't really impressed with the Sir Hair soap. It smelled nice, but that lather left a lot to be desired.
View Quote

Interesting.  I found the lather to be excellent.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Proraso in the tube!!!
View Quote

I’ve done the puck but I always come back to the tube.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’ve done the puck but I always come back to the tube.
View Quote

There's a joke in there somewhere....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#33]
My .02.  Stirling soap is easy to lather even in hard water, beef tallow based and has a lot of scents to choose.   Create an account and earn discounts with your purchases.  I also used Mitchell's Wool Fat until I discovered Stirling makes a direct competitor they call 'Sheep' - I'm hard pressed to tell them apart.    IMO - keep Stirling a little on the wet side and it's plenty slick.   I also recommend Mystic Water Shave Soap for Men - another great vendor, also beef tallow based, and nice scents.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like Colonel Conk glycerin
View Quote

Thats what I use. Got a variety pack of 4 different scents and have been using them for over a year.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Luxury.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
shave in the shower
just rub some shampoo on my face when washing my hair and shave,am I missing out on something??
View Quote

This, in the shower almost anything will work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I use a combo of:
Bull Dog shave gel
and
C. O. Bigelo shave cream

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Williams.  I've been using it for years.  The trick is to wash your face with a good soap first.  That hot water and soap is what softens the beard.  It's hard to find now so I order it online in 5 packs.  I shave in the shower.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/127998/download_jpg-1791360.JPG
View Quote

Contrary to popular opinion Williams can be lathered successfully. Puck needs to be bloomed in hot water (as in submerged) then pour off the water and load tips of a brush that's been soaking and well-squeezed of excess water. You want to start kind of dry then work the water in a bit at a time if needed.

Then whip that sucker into a lather face or bowl. Just keep working at it.

Williams does leave the face feeling soft but in truth there are a gajillion other shave soaps I'd use first.

I found some last week at an independent pharmacy $1.29 each.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Soap?

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Just rotated some today! That’s about 1/4 of them, you can never have too many options.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I haven't wet shaved in 25 years or more.

Minolta electric/battery shaver all the way for decades.
View Quote

What area you shaving? Your vagina?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use Cremo on my head with a regular multi blade razor as I always seem to cut the crap out of myself using the DE blades.

I only shave my neck as I have a beard, Creamo works great on the head and neck I just wanted to use the brush and bowl for that old time feel.
View Quote

I use Cremo, a bowl, and a brush. Fill the bowl with hot water and soak the brush. wet your face, then dump out the bowl leaving just a bit of water in it. put an almond size amount of Cremo on the brush and work it into a lather in the bowl. If you need more lather, just add a feww drops of water to the bowl and rework the brush.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]
My order from Stirling Soap came in today.  I also got a Viking Blades Chieftain JR razor from Amazon, It said it has a mild aggression and was forgiving I thought it would work great for my head.  

I waited since friday to shave so I had a good amount of scruff on my neck and head. I ordered Margaritas in the Arctic and Ramblin man shave soaps in sample pucks.  really like the smell of both so I gave the  Margaritas a try and WOW the soap is soo much better than the puck I was using which might just be plain soap.  Did both my neck and head new Razor worked perfectly, the previous razors I used Van der Hagen and the GBS that came in the kit my wife got me cut the shit out of my head, the Viking was awesome, took my time no nicks and a super smooth shave using Astra blades. The soap lathers great and did not dry out while on my face and felt really good.

Wife really likes the Margaritas in the Arctic scent so that's definitely a keeper
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top