Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2021 7:15:27 PM EDT
Wife got me a wet shaving kit for Christmas with the bowl brush and soap.  The soap Puck it comes with isn't that great, it works but not very slick.  I already have a razor and use feather or astra blades

What soap/cream does the hive recommend for wet shaving?

I know some guys here make their own and that's cool but I'm lazy and rather just buy it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Colonel Conk glycerin
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Taylor of Old Bond Street.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Cremo - in the tube.  Slick as snot.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
this right here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

this or razorock. I go between the two.

just to confirm you are working up a nice thick foam right?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't wet shaved in 25 years or more.

Minolta electric/battery shaver all the way for decades.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless you want to make a ritual out of shaving, just buy cremo.  A tube costs 6 bucks, lasts for months, doesn't take up a lot of room in medicine cabinet.  Wet face, put a dab on fingers, rub on face.  Works better than anything out of a ridiculous can.  No silly brush or bowl needed.  Lather isn't needed, it's just air and fluff.   Cremo is smooth and works great.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Best shit ever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like Cremo, but use Taylor of Old Bond Street most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Honestly, I'd skip over Taylor of Old Bond Street and just go to Stirling.  I'm enjoying the Glacial Lemon Chill.    The smell is enjoyable and it is far slicker than any Taylor of Old Bond Street soap I have tried.  And I've tried a handful of them.  The Stirling also whips up into a better lather for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Proraso is good stuff.  Tube is good but I usually end up with the red or green bowl.  Lasts forever.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This all day long.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever is on the sink either a bar or pump dispenser hand soap.  I ain’t picky. Its all soap to me and seems to work the same.  I never could see the purpose of spending extra money on special foam soap just for my face. It’s all surfactant based debonder.
Save the money on special expensive shaving soap and buy more ammo
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Grow beard.  Have the barber handle it.  Money well spent.  Plus you look fresh AF
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Williams shave soap or,  if you like cream , Bigelow. Available at Kinneys drugs and Bath and Beauty respectively. Or do what I did for years and use Ivory, face lathered with a brush.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm currently using Arko shaving soap in bowl and it's working nicely.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve also found a premium silvertip brush makes a heck of a difference over the cheaper badger or synthetic stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out westcoastshaving, they have a good selection.

Their house brand (WCS)  is really good and not terribly priced.

I've been shaving with a DE for about 5 years and I've tried lots of different brands.  There is some variation even within manufacturers, helps to buy a few and experiment.

Other brands I've had good luck with - Declaration Grooming,  Barrister & Mann, and Oaken Labs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use this on my head
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Tabac is my go to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Unless you want to make a ritual out of shaving, just buy cremo.  A tube costs 6 bucks, lasts for months, doesn't take up a lot of room in medicine cabinet.  Wet face, put a dab on fingers, rub on face.  Works better than anything out of a ridiculous can.  No silly brush or bowl needed.  Lather isn't needed, it's just air and fluff.   Cremo is smooth and works great.

View Quote

Yup

Cremo is just fine in every way.

I wanted to try a cup and brush though. There’s a local soap shop in town and I decided to try their shaving bar.

It’s been like 4 months and it’s not halfway gone yet. Lathers really nice and smells incredible.

Cost me 8 bucks.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Taylor of Old Bond Street are kinda pricks, Proraso Green all day long
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Proraso in the green bowl.

Make sure to soak your badger-hair brush in steaming hot water first.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I haven't wet shaved in 25 years or more.

Minolta electric/battery shaver all the way for decades.
View Quote

If you take note, the thread didnt ask what lazy boomers do to shave.  He asked what to use for a shave cream when embracing the man's art of DE shaving.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't beat the scent. I use their bar soap too. Wimmenz seem to like it...or that's what they tell me anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Badger brushes are ghey in this day & age, a $15 synthetic can hang with them all day long
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Mama Bear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I use Cremo on my head with a regular multi blade razor as I always seem to cut the crap out of myself using the DE blades.

I only shave my neck as I have a beard, Creamo works great on the head and neck I just wanted to use the brush and bowl for that old time feel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Generic body wash
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Kell.
Thank me later.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 for Proraso
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#32]
A really great shaving soap that can be lathered right in the jar is Sir Hair.  You can buy it right on Amazon.  It travels well because it never leaves the jar.   I have a ton of soaps that I like, but I highly recommend this.

Amazon Product
  • Tallow based shaving soap creates a protective lather and lubricates any razor for a smooth and irritation free shave. Leaves you with the closest shave ever.
  • You get a full 4 ounces of shaving soap in an 8 ounce container. That's enough soap to last for more than 100 shaves. We put it in an 8 ounce container so that you can use it without a shaving bowl, and it saves you from making a mess.
  • Each Shaving Soap is handcrafted and hand poured into the containers, leaving an uneven surface. This is perfectly normal and results in a high quality product made especially for you. Hand Made and hand poured in the U.S. in small batches for the best quality. Great for all skin types including sensitive skin. Reduced friction helps reduces chance for razor bumps or rashes while shaving

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is a good starting point

ETA:

Use the Cremo in the bowl with the brush. Lather it as you would cake soap.  Cremo lathered that way is still super slick, but rinses out of the blade gap easily.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Dont go over board hipster, just get Proraso.

That said, your old lady likely bought you a shit Chinese DE razor if it came in a kit.  Not going to be like a late 50s Gillette
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I use hair conditioner
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
+1 on Williams Shave Soap. It's inexpensive and works great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Taconic lime, llathers nice, smells fresh.

If you want easy, burts bees cream stuff. But the Taconic is really the stuff, superb results with a good brush.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#38]
There’s a lot of good stuff out there.

-Mama Bear’s stuff is decent
-Tabac is great
-Mitchell’s Wool Fat
-Noble Otter
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I just use cold water, and mach 3.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I shaved with a bowl and badger hair brush for a few years. I switched back to using canned shaving cream (Harry's) because it's easier than lathering up a brush then washing out the brush after I'm done. I haven't noticed any differences in the quality of the shave.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve using Arko sticks the last year.  Pretty good stuff.  I cut them into small disks and spread them around in my mug.  
Link
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Barrister and mann.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, I shave in the shower.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Proraso is good stuff.  Tube is good but I usually end up with the red or green bowl.  Lasts forever.
View Quote

I agree I use it and Van Der Hagen Deluxe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Note to self - try shaving with snot and save some money
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#46]
shave in the shower
just rub some shampoo on my face when washing my hair and shave,am I missing out on something??
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Ariana & Evans (Vanille de Tabac. All of their scents are exceptional, and I’d put their Kaizen base up against any other soap on the market. Vanille de Tabac is probably my favorite scent of all time, in anything that involves smelling. Seriously, it’s that good. Buy the splash too.)

Wholly Kaw (King of Oud, specifically. Their base is, in my opinion, the best in the business. Some of their scents are hit or miss, though. King of Oud is spectacular. King of Bourbon is a close second.)

Barrister and Mann (Seville, also know as “God’s Barbershop,” but it’s hard to find a bad scent with them. Their excelsior base is phenomenal, though not quite sublime like Wholly Kaw’s bufala base, let alone the new siero base. B&M Reserve Spice is also fantastic, and noteworthy.)

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (Atomic Age Bay Rum, get the CK6 version. It’s a little bit better of a base, but you get more. Really, any scent they make is probably good with performance to match.)

The Holy Black (their standard Gunpowder Spice. It’s vaguely reminiscent of Shulton’s Old Spice, and is very good overall.)

Stirling Soaps (Executive man, though they have a ton of scents. Avoid Bonaparte, it sucks. This will be your cheapest option while still maintaining reasonable quality.)

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A really great shaving soap that can be lathered right in the jar is Sir Hair.  You can buy it right on Amazon.  It travels well because it never leaves the jar.   I have a ton of soaps that I like, but I highly recommend this.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00X20462S
View Quote

Damm you! Now I have to try another shaving soap! I just ordered it. I've never used a tallow based soap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I actually think Harry’s is slicker.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winner
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top