Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2020 10:54:01 AM EDT
I have a couple of acoustic guitars without electronics/pic-ups and I don’t want to change or physically modify theses guitars in any way so I was thinking old school mics?  

Skool me up.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Shure sm57 is cheap and sounds great. Very popular mic.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The SM57 is a good choice, but it is a dynamic mic, and works better for instruments with more volume, like a saxophone.

I think a good condenser mic handles the high transient and wide dynamic range of an acoustic better.  I'm not saying the SM57 is a bad choice.  But depending on the acoustic guitarist's playing style, it might not be the best choice.

You can get into some pretty serious money when you get into those, however, so if budget is a concern, your suggestion is a good one.

Pretty much standard condenser is the AKG C451B.  IT costs around $450 (vs. around $100 for an SM57.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a couple of acoustic guitars without electronics/pic-ups and I don’t want to change or physically modify theses guitars in any way so I was thinking old school mics?  

Skool me up.
View Quote

OK if these are collectible pre-war Martins or the like I get it.  Don't modify them.  Mic is the answer.  

If not collectible I'd put in an under bridge pickup.  They require only a slightly enlarged endpin?  And unless you have a collectible guitar doesn't degrade the value.  No change to the looks of the guitar or as far as I know it's sound when played acoustically.

Just another thought.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK if these are collectible pre-war Martins or the like I get it.  Don't modify them.  Mic is the answer.  

If not collectible I'd put in an under bridge pickup.  They require only a slightly enlarged endpin?  And unless you have a collectible guitar doesn't degrade the value.  No change to the looks of the guitar or as far as I know it's sound when played acoustically.

Just another thought.
View Quote

No not pre war Martins....I’m just a poor peckerwood living in the sticks with too many guitars.

One is a D-28 though that 100 years from now someone might think is special.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The SM57 is a good choice, but it is a dynamic mic, and works better for instruments with more volume, like a saxophone.

I think a good condenser mic handles the high transient and wide dynamic range of an acoustic better.  I'm not saying the SM57 is a bad choice.  But depending on the acoustic guitarist's playing style, it might not be the best choice.

You can get into some pretty serious money when you get into those, however, so if budget is a concern, your suggestion is a good one.

Pretty much standard condenser is the AKG C451B.  IT costs around $450 (vs. around $100 for an SM57.)
View Quote

The SM57 sounds like it will fit the bill.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No not pre war Martins....I’m just a poor peckerwood living in the sticks with too many guitars.

One is a D-28 though that 100 years from now someone might think is special.
View Quote

Heck lots of people consider any D28 special right now.

Another option is the sound hole pickups.  I don't think they permanently change the guitar but I don't really know.  All my acoustics have pickups in them.  Most came with them but I modified one.  I bought a used old Yamaha dread and had a LR Baggs installed.  Works great.  

Whatever.  You do what you want.  Perhaps I misunderstood and you want to use multiple guitars and one mic to bind them all is the answer.  

BTW what amp are you using?

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I do OK with a pair of AT2050’s
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#9]
What’s your budget? Is this for an amp or for recording?

Royer 122 is fantastic. (Ribbon mic)  
Neumann KM184 are also widely used.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm totally wanting to try this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Mic placement is everything. You can get great guitar recordings with just about anything if you know what you're doing.

With acoustic guitar, it comes down to finding the right spot, and then staying still while you play. If you move around it will sound all phasey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top