Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2021 4:00:27 AM EDT
Mine are the Monster Hunter International series.

What are yours?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of the Ashes series, although I admit I lost interest about book 15.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The Matt Helm series. I've read the cannon half a dozen times. Written by Donald Hamilton, who knew what he was talking about gun-wise (and published numerous articles in gun mags). Some of the language and plots are a little dated since he started the series in 1960 but if you put yourself in the time and the place....Anyway, they are well worth a read, starting with Death of a Citizen.

Oh, and don't bother with the Dean Martin movies, nothing at all to do with the books, other than the titles and are best ignored.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Nerd alert: unabridged dictionaries.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The Matt Helm books are indeed good.

I like most of Barry Sadler's Casca, The Eternal Mercenary series.

Have also enjoyed the Deathlands series.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Matt Helm books are indeed good.

I like most of Barry Sadler's Casca, The Eternal Mercenary series.

Have also enjoyed the Deathlands series.
View Quote

Yes! Forgot about Sadler, good stuff. Had his album when I was a kid, loved the Ballad of the Green Beret. I've got some of the Casca series book somewhere, will have to mount a search.

Speaking of Matt Helm, have you read The War Years? Authorized by Hamilton's son, and written in the same style (using some of Hamilton's own work), it's worth getting if you've got the rest of the series. It fills in some gaps on Helm's WWII service and I found it entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Speaking of Matt Helm, have you read The War Years?    
View Quote

Not yet.  I plan to however.

Donald Hamilton reminds me of my next door neighbor growing up.

He was a Battle of the Bulge veteran.  Loved his Weatherby rifles.

But, when it came to pistols, small calibers were good enough.

In the late 1980s, thieves stole his tools, (he worked as a mechanic).

I don't think he slept for a week, waiting for them to come back.

An old school gun guy if there ever was one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not picky and have spent way more money on various zombie/apocalypse/sci-fi series than I want to think about...

Favorite of all time is the ongoing Lee Harden series (DJ Molles) but will read just about anything that is decently written!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not yet.  I plan to however.

Donald Hamilton reminds me of my next door neighbor growing up.

He was a Battle of the Bulge veteran.  Loved his Weatherby rifles.

But, when it came to pistols, small calibers were good enough.

In the late 1980s, thieves stole his tools, (he worked as a mechanic).

I don't think he slept for a week, waiting for them to come back.

An old school gun guy if there ever was one.
View Quote

That's awesome, my FIL was in Africa and Italy, got shot a couple times, carried a "SubThompson" w/stock removed ("sticks only, none of those fuckin' drums!") as he was an ammo bearer for the MGs. Apparently the German who was shooting him soon stopped for a few 230gr. reasons, though he'd never elaborate. In his 80's he could outshoot me with his old '03A3.

But I digress, Hamilton was great, I've got his Travels with Kathleen about his boat trip on the inland water way. You can tell when he got right into sailing as the Helm series progresses. I've also got a few of his westerns written in the 50's, excellent reads (he must have made bank with the movie rights to The Big Country). He also wrote some action thrillers around the same time that are very good, you can see the idea and development of the Matt Helm character in them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Big fan of the MHI series. I plan to re-read what I have and then add on everything new since I last read them.

But before that, I plan to read the “Galaxy’s Edge” series. I have everything but the last few most recent releases, as the authors pump new books out at an alarming rate, ha.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Big fan of the MHI series. I plan to re-read what I have and then add on everything new since I last read them.

But before that, I plan to read the “Galaxy’s Edge” series. I have everything but the last few most recent releases, as the authors pump new books out at an alarming rate, ha.
View Quote

@AZYoungGun

I read them all shortly before MH Siege came out.  I finished the audiobooks of them a few weeks ago.  MH Guardian is good but they switched narrators on the audiobook and it was awful.  That's a read only for me.

If you haven't read the Monster Hunter Memoirs yet do it.   They're set in the 80s.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to have to check into some of these you all have posted.  Thank you.

My other guilty pleasure series is The Grey Man series by Mark Greaney
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was in high school and got thrown out of study hall, I had to go to the library, where I sat and read the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several I just can't resist for some reason................

The Fixer series........  
Read "Escalante" first.  You can get it free.

https://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Vaillencourt/e/B01M0HU4OG/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

The God Hammer series...........

https://www.amazon.com/John-Conroe/e/B003JBVEJS?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1613349251&sr=1-1

And I still continue to read in Eric Flint's 1632 universe.  It's easily the largest sci-fi universe of all time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
My overall favorite is The Guardians series by Richard Austin (aka Victor Milan)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Any fiction is a guilty pleasure. It reading for enjoyment.

As far as non fiction guilty pleasure, it’s going to be war memoirs. ive probably read 250 at this point.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Any fiction from Steven Pressfield or from the Master and Commander series.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mine are the Monster Hunter International series.

What are yours?
View Quote

@Breechlock1  also MHI here, got my library to order the whole series.  I also really enjoyed the 1632 series if you need something do for a winter.  Also, Galaxy's Edge is very good. My only issue with Galaxy's Edge was figuring out what order to read the stuff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#18]
The survivalist series by Jerry Ahern
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I like Jim Rickards' books (Currency Wars, Trade Wars, etc.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When I was in high school and got thrown out of study hall, I had to go to the library, where I sat and read the Encyclopedia Britannica.
View Quote

That could have been the best education you received in high school.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My only issue with Galaxy's Edge was figuring out what order to read the stuff.
View Quote

@bdover if you happen to have a list showing the best order, I’m all ears. Otherwise, I was just planning to read them in the order they were released.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@bdover if you happen to have a list showing the best order, I’m all ears. Otherwise, I was just planning to read them in the order they were released.
View Quote

@AZYoungGun  ask & ye shall receive

https://galaxysedge.us/chronological/
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My overall favorite is The Guardians series by Richard Austin (aka Victor Milan)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3053/43D17B7D-8469-41AB-B38D-391C2670DCEA_jpe-1825704.JPG
View Quote

Mine as well. Have all of them but the final book (14 jumped the shark and 15 was a ghost writer I suspect) Reread them a couple of months ago. Very 80s, lots of hip firing, but overall awesome.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@AZYoungGun  ask & ye shall receive

View Quote

Haha, thanks. I’ve actually seen that, but the disclaimer at the top says it’s “not the order in which they were written, nor is it the recommended reading order.” I thought maybe you’d found the best reading order, LOL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
From the Galaxy’s Edge thread in SciFi/Fantasy

Originally Posted By Kai aki:
Quoted:
Is there a recommended reading order for this series(s)?
View Quote

or

https://galaxysedge.us/max-suspense/

Personally I like reading individual arcs together in chronological order.  It's just easier for me to keep things organized in my head that way (see above ).  There are some I wouldn't read at all (not many but a few).
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have all of them but the final book (14 jumped the shark and 15 was a ghost writer I suspect) Reread them a couple of months ago. Very 80s, lots of hip firing, but overall awesome.
View Quote

Death from Above? The one where they hijacked a shuttle and assaulted a space station in orbit? But that one was my favorite!

And yeah, 15 and 16 were different authors than Victor Milan and they truly sucked.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Haha, thanks. I’ve actually seen that, but the disclaimer at the top says it’s “not the order in which they were written, nor is it the recommended reading order.” I thought maybe you’d found the best reading order, LOL.
View Quote

@azyounggun   It’s the order it happens in the GE universe so it’s what I did.  It made more sense to me than having storylines jumping around.   With book series I always want to read it in order of it happening abs give me maps so I can get idea if what’s where.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Great Depression Era reading.  Right now I'm on When the Banks Closed, Our Hearts Opened.  Collection of first hand accounts of the Great Depression.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
The Flashman Papers

I actually lost my copies a few moves ago, maybe I'll buy another set today. So stupid, so funny.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Does Harry Potter fall in this category? I thoroughly enjoyed those books.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#32]

...and the sequels

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Vietnam: Ground Zero by Eric Helm

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought the entire "Vietnam Ground Zero" series as they came out.
I think there was a last book that I never saw named "Spike".

These were rather repetitive stories, but some were excellent.
Amazon has an 11 book collection but I recall several not listed.
I know there were at least 26 books in the series.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Sartorius

I wouldn't count them as guilty pleasure.  They're by far my favorite fiction series.   Some count any fiction as guilty pleasure but I disagree.  The HP septology is legitimate literature.   87 years from now it will still be read like Dickens, Tolstoy, Tolkien etc.    I define guilty pleasure as stuff that 87 years from now wont be.    A few steps above pulp fiction.  Maybe even 20 years from they wont be read as the series is finished
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Death from Above? The one where they hijacked a shuttle and assaulted a space station in orbit? But that one was my favorite!

And yeah, 15 and 16 were different authors than Victor Milan and they truly sucked.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3053/E84394F3-0581-43AF-B441-59B65B264113_jpe-1832242.JPG
View Quote

That's the one.

Got about halfway through 15 and put it away. The new author had Wilson cussing and Rogers raising his voice. Apparently the cheat sheet Milan left behind didnt cover their personalities lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
If you think 15 was bad, be very glad you didn’t read 16.
It focused on Rogers, but the author didn’t understand his character at all.

Oh, and he accidentally got turned invisible.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#38]
John Whitlatch
Died in 1972 or so. Last book was published by his Estate.
The Judas Goat. Morgan's Rebellion. The Iron Shirt.

The covers were the best!

I once had almost all of the Matt Helm books. Gave them away. Damn me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I like most books by Michael-Scott Earle.  
He was banned by Amazon a few years ago for some BS reason.
I think he was the highest paid author in Kindle Unlimited and
Amazon thought he must be cheating the system.

Since he was banned, he started selling his books and audiobooks directly
and uses kickstarter to prefund new novels before he writes them. His last
novel, Tamer 7,raised over $120,000 in one month and the ebook was just
released.

He basically writes romance novels for guys. Most of his books involve one
guy and many women. They are mostly SciFi and Fantasy.  The first book
in each series is available free on his web site.  https://michaelscottearle.com/
I like his books, but I have been buying everything he produces as a way to say
FU to Amazon.  Amazon has gotten too big and way too powerful. I don't want to
see them crushing authors they dislike for any reason.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Vampire academy
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine are also the MHI books. Doesn't hurt the the big battle in the middle of the fist book happens about 10 miles from my house. The natchy bottom fight
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#42]
MHI isn’t guilty pleasure, it’s a series of training manuals.

I just re-read the first book in a series I loved as a kid - mostly to see if it was ok for my eleven year old to start. The Myth Adventures series from Robert Asprin.  They are still a really fun read.

Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Franklin Horton has several dystopian future series that then kind of tie together, I think a good reads.  

N.C.Read has some as well that are read worthy.  

Both are oversimplified for issues and of course the main characters walk on water for abilities.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#45]
LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia, or anything by Jerry Pournelle
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
MHI FTW!!!!!!

I did love "the Survivalist". "the Guardians" and "the Executioner" back in the day!!!!  Loved 'em!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Louis L’amour .

Fun westerns.  Sometimes he’d branch out like in “The Walking Drum”, which was a medieval/crusade theme.  Fun stuff.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Just about anything from Clive Cussler...
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Potter is garbage    Dobi must die
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top