User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lima beans on bread.
View Quote

My dad once made us a bachelor dinner of boxed Spanish rice on buttered toast.

…It was not half bad for being all carbs…
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I ate enough Corn Meal Mush for breakfast to have some pretty strong feelings about it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mashed potatoes with white gravy and a hamburger patty.  I still love this meal.
View Quote

That...actually sounds pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Liver and onions, SOS, potato latkes, matzo ball soup…
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
My mom used to get bread from the co-op and condiments from the dumpster at the dollar store.
several years there I was looking forward to those BBQ sauce stale bread sandwiches as a meal.

I had a crack barrel pellet gun, and i made every single shot count. Out of a can of pellets, there would maybe be 3 wasted due to misses. If it came in range, it was getting eaten. You do what you have to do when you're hungry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I still eat that and ask my mom to make it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bell peppers stuffed with ground beef and rice, then baked, was a childhood staple.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/326493/stuffed-bell-peppers-2_jpg-2133162.JPG

I still eat that and ask my mom to make it.

[Costco]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ate enough Corn Meal Mush for breakfast to have some pretty strong feelings about it.
View Quote

Damn I forgot all about that stuff. I had it fairly often as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Peanut butter and corn syrup sandwiches.
Sometimes my mom would toast the bread, sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Michelinas dollar meals got me through college.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mashed potatoes with white gravy and a hamburger patty.  I still love this meal.
View Quote

Same here. Sometimes Mom would church it up with Bacon Bits or brown gravy, never both at the same time though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Tomato sandwiches
Corn on the cob as a meal
Spam & Cheese spread on a toasted bun
curried onions on rice with leftover chopped turkey
fried potatoes/scrambled eggs/bacon
BBQ baloney sandwiches
Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper and add mixed vegetables, a chopped onion, and stewed tomatoes served as a soup. It was great.
Baked beans w/ hamburger/chopped onion over toast with a slice of cheese.
Pancakes with a strip of bacon
Toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup

There were 7 of us so it had to s t r e t c h.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my neck of the woods we call that "grits" and grits are considered pretty fine breakfast fare, especially with redeye gravy
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a friend that left home in his early teens and went to live in the woodlands. He had a BB gun and subsisted primarily on Blue Jays. (His girl friend however would visit occasionally, bringing him maybe bread, peanut butter, perhaps cheese.) My friend does not partake of chicken wings for some strange reason...  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a friend that left home in his early teens and went to live in the woodlands. He had a BB gun and subsisted primarily on Blue Jays. (His girl friend however would visit occasionally, bringing him maybe bread, peanut butter, perhaps cheese.) My friend does not partake of chicken wings for some strange reason...  
View Quote
blue jays are damn good. Cardinals too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Cornbread crumbled up in a glass of milk.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When generic macaroni and cheese came in a plastic bag with a twist tie, it cost $.17. If me and my brothers and sisters could find two pop bottles, we got to eat that night. If we could find four pop bottles we got to eat enough to not be hungry anymore. Of course we had to make it with just water because we didn't have any butter or milk. But I suppose it was better than starving. The local bakery in town threw away their unsold donuts every afternoon, so we fished those out of the garbage to eat as well. Free lunch was the best part of school, so snow days sucked for us. That meant we didn't get to eat.
View Quote
Damn, I didn't eat a proper steak until I was an adult but as a kid I never went hungry unless I did not eat that day and that was by choice.  I also picked up aluminum cans to help out.  I knew of a ditch the local drunk tossed his empties but that had chiggers in it during the wrong time of the year.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:25:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Potato soup. Pinto beans. Real dinners at my house when I was a boy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#20]
My mother learned to cook from her parents who grew up during the great depression.

food was usually cooked in mass! And served over a couple of days.

I have a potato soup recipe that has been in my family over 100 years. I hope to pass it on to my children.

Usual weeknights were

spaghetti
hamburger helper
sloppy joes
TV dinners
grilled cheese and soup
chicken noodle soup
Homemade chili
straganoff
poor mans striganoff (gr beef)
tacos
burgers

with fast food about twice a month

Every Sunday was family meal day where mom would cook a family meal.

Fried chicken mashed taters n corn
Chicken fried steak taters n corn
Pot roast taters n corn
Chicken n dumplings
Potato soup
Sausage n kraut

corn would be substituted for canned greenbeans when we got tired of corn
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I fed my family a whole lot of rabbits when my wife and I were young and poor.  A box of .22 ammo was cheap then and I did pretty good with taking my beagle out and making head shots on the rabbits she flushed out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
“I don’t know why they call it hamburger helper, I thinks it tastes fine all by itself”
View Quote

That’s right Eddie.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]
La Choy
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#24]
The food was good when I was a kid but my dad used to say he had to eat lard on bread a lot when he was a  kid.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Soup, lots of soup. Campbell's hungry man soups mostly, or ramen noodles with mixed vegetables in it. Banquet chicken patties, fried squirrel, fried rabbit, duck, goose, the rare turkey.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Kraft macaroni and cheese with hamburger meat and canned tomatoes mixed in. We survived it.
View Quote

My wife makes this this with Ro-Tel. We love it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Y’all are lying. Everyone knows there is no such thing as a poor white person.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:38:53 AM EDT
[#28]
All you rich kids bragging about your salmon patties, we had mackerel patties because canned mackerel was half the price of canned salmon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

My grandpa did that and bread in a glass of milk. He and my grandma were just into their 20's when The Depression hit, so things like that stuck with them. I had tried it a few times and it was just too bland. Maybe if it had some sugar or cinnamon sprinkled in, then it would be tasty but would start to get out of the poor-food category.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Y'all were rich enough to have a freezer?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
White trash casserole

2 cans of tuna
2 boxes cheapest mac and cheese
Some crackers

Now do whatever the fuck you feel like with that shit.
View Quote

Fuck ya, tunamac! That was my dads specialty.
We also had sauce and rice basically rice with whatever caned goods we had poured over it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#32]

A can of Sol-Mex sardines and a stack of corn tortillas is one of the meals I remember sharing with my mom and sister while my dad would spend the day looking for a job when things got hard back in Mexico.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]

I would eat that with no second thought.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#34]
We also made personal pizza with wonder bread slices.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember an occasional Saturday night treat of pizza made fom a Chef Boyardee kit. Mom would mix the dough, let it rise then add the can of sauce and top with the can of powdered cheese. We liked it.

We would have a snack in the evening while watching tv... usually a banana or orange. When us younger kids were shooed off to bed, my older brother would arrive to take over the tv. He would have a small bag of chips, a 16 oz pepsi and assorted slim jims and little planters peanut packs. He had a paper delivery route and was considered to be wealthy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We also had sauce and rice basically rice with whatever caned goods we had poured over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
White trash casserole

2 cans of tuna
2 boxes cheapest mac and cheese
Some crackers

Now do whatever the fuck you feel like with that shit.

Your dad cooked? Man, my mom had better have that supper ready when he got home.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:59:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

My dad would look for london broil on the rare occasion we had steak.
View Quote

Today I just hacked up a London broil to make chili out of. It was the cheapest piece of beef per pound I could find on sale.

The chili is damned good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My grandpa did that and bread in a glass of milk. He and my grandma were just into their 20's when The Depression hit, so things like that stuck with them. I had tried it a few times and it was just too bland. Maybe if it had some sugar or cinnamon sprinkled in, then it would be tasty but would start to get out of the poor-food category.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dad's hillbilly second wife would add chopped onions to it, but that evil bitch added chopped onions to everything. She could fry the fuck out of some chicken, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would eat that with no second thought.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:07:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lived poor as as kid, Kraft single cheese sandwiches were the best.

What was your poor peep food?

https://www.southernplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/grilledcheese-058-400x300.jpg
View Quote

Kraft? AHAHAHAHHA you rich kid!

Hey everyone! Look at Richy Rich with his Kraft Singles. HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA! Rich kid!
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#41]
White rice with water and maybe a slice or two of kimchi
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Breakfast was cornflakes or raisin bran, I don't know the prices but I'm assuming it was cheap.  A couple of spoons of sugar made it good.

Lunch was peanut butter and jelly - almost always grape as it was cheapest - apple was good though, and strawberry super rare.

Tuna sandwiches was what I made myself when I fixed my own food.

Supper was rice and beans, perhaps a little meat to flavor it.  Mashed potatoes was popular also.  

Most of this stuff we still eat.

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Sunday family dinner formed the basis of the majority of the upcoming days' meals.

Sunday meal would have been beef roast, or pork of some cut, to include potatoes, onions, carrots, gravy. Sunday meal of this, then for the next several days (until consumed) would be hot sandwiches with gravy, then hot BBQ sandwiches -think add bottled chili sauce-, and lastly cold sliced sandwiches.

Food did not go to waste.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Your dad cooked? Man, my mom had better have that supper ready when he got home.
View Quote

Mom went to school at night she would be gone by the time my dad got home most days so he did the most dinners when I was young.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:18:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sloppy Joe

Steak-ums

Beans and franks
View Quote

This plus Cinnamon toast
If we wanted meat we had to hunt if for the most part. Family would help slaughter neighbors hogs and we would get the heads.  Not bad eating all things considered. Canned vegetables from summer gardens. All the stuff that is better for you looking back. Canned sour Kraut from our garden with regular hot dog weenies as our “sausages” ,  chow chow
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Beans and cornbread.  The beans were pinto, or white.  Comfort food for the kids to this day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Boiled cow tongue with vegetables, followed the next day with cow tongue sandwiches. That, and an endless opportunity to gag down corn fritters slathered in Aunt Jemima sugar-water "syrup".
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Potatoes tomatoes and cheese.

For two servings, a couple of russets, peeled and boiled until done.
I can stewed tomoatoes
American cheese slices

Heat the stewed tomatoes while the potatoes are cooking.  Cut the drained cooked potatoess into large cubes, put into a bowl.  Using a fork break the potato, into a rough textures, place slides of American cheese onto the potatoes.  Then place the stewed tomatoes on top of the cheese, and more American cheese on top.
Let the cheese on top melt in,  then dig in.  Seasonings, salt and pepper are left to your discretion.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm starting to suspect cornbread with applesauce night wasn't just for fun. I also loved and still love tuna cassarole, it's really easy to make and doesn't cost too much.

I never went hungry as a kid and thankfully there was pretty much always nutritious food available. There is a difference between being dirt poor and being thrifty. I was fortunate to never have to experience the former.

I will never touch another lima bean or piece of asparagus if I can help it though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#50]
White rice with almost every meal.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top