Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Disable post count next
View Quote

Having seen the great post count reset unfold live, I'll just say:

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Haha, now you’re a pleb just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It will save the site a fortune in bandwidth though
View Quote

Bandwidth? This site forum code wastes a ton of bandwidth when it puts post title in the URL. Amazon uses this same "feature".

The URL's below are the exact same thread. So by adding in the thread title into the URL (which can be any chars btw) you waste bandwidth server/hosting side, and, the useless text in the URL also chews up your data plan at home (almost all cell phones have bit plan, some home ISP's still offer unlimited). You get the point.

Same thread for all three URL's, but one URL much smaller than the others.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/So-uh-what-s-a-good-cartridge-for-hunting-say-and-Elk-/5-2414729/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/./5-2414729/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/GoatBoy-luvs-ARFCOM-and-will-never-ever-give-it-up-even-when-the-commis-come-knocking/5-2414729/

Side note - ever wonder why your cell phone data plan gets used up so fast? Well, what if 50% of every page you look at is javascript code on the page, of which you never see, it's just there to do whatever. Or what if 80% of the page you are looking at (bit count wise) is just random useless text inside a HTML remark tag. Hence, those sites in cahoots with ISP's can inflate your data usage w/o you even thinking about it, or in other words, make your wallet lighter and theirs fatter.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
@Goatboy

Remove State location too
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@Goatboy

View Quote

Don't remove State, just randomize it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Goatboy

Every post  a Country flag  :  ???? China ????

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@Goatboy

View Quote

Naw man. Some of us are proud to be where where we are from. We even shot fuckers in the face over it a couple of times.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Every pone put Country :  ???? China ????

View Quote

Why even have country label? The backend has it via registration process, but no need to advertise it in the gui.

Or, make ever user country AUS, this will make AUS govt panic, seeing all these Aussi users who show their evil AR's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bandwidth? This site forum code wastes a ton of bandwidth when it puts post title in the URL. Amazon uses this same "feature".

The URL's below are the exact same thread. So by adding in the thread title into the URL (which can be any chars btw) you waste bandwidth server/hosting side, and, the useless text in the URL also chews up your data plan at home (almost all cell phones have bit plan, some home ISP's still offer unlimited). You get the point.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/So-uh-what-s-a-good-cartridge-for-hunting-say-and-Elk-/5-2414729/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/GoatBoy-luvs-ARFCOM-and-will-never-ever-give-it-up-even-when-the-commis-come-knocking/5-2414729/

Side note - ever wonder why your cell phone data plan gets used up so fast? Well, what if 50% of every page you look at is javascript code on the page, of which you never see, it's just there to do whatever. Or what if 80% of the page you are looking at (bit count wise) is just random useless text inside a HTML remark tag. Hence, those sites in cahoots with ISP's can inflate your data usage w/o you even thinking about it, or in other words, make your wallet lighter and theirs fatter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel like you took my joke a little to serious
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And for the record, they really don't use any extra bandwidth. The site uses a single sprite sheet for many icons, and uses your client-side horsepower to display the appropriate icon in the appropriate location by selecting one of the icons from that sheet.

You need that sprite sheet even if there weren't any badges for other UI iconography...and you download the sheet once and cache it client side.

Now fight me!  

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And for the record, they really don't use any extra bandwidth. The site uses a single sprite sheet for many icons, and uses your client-side horsepower to display the appropriate icon in the appropriate location by selecting one of the icons from that sheet.

https://www.ar15.com/images/2016/sprites-flat.png

You need that sprite sheet even if there weren't any badges for other UI iconography...and you download the sheet once and cache it client side.

Now fight me!  

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll miss my hidden badge:  Oh wait,,,,,,,,

Jay
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did. My bad. I was just noting my observation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I always thought VCDL was a bit of a marker.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Disable post count next
View Quote
The Penguin will lose his mind!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Delete the archives
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Muh Bling!

Is it fair to assume AWS has copies of the board in their archives? I'd expect they are applying AI technology to cross reference to other online presence
View Quote

No, they wouldn't.  They provide IaaS and PaaS but it's on you to provide your own backup if you're looking for more than their HA redundancy.  That said, most of the board, including the archives, has been wide open to the internet for quite some time and I'm sure it's been scraped by other parties. You can't unring that bell.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I apologize for starting a thread in team.

Maybe if I got out of active topics every now and then, I'd have seen this yesterday.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:31:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#23]
What are group icons
@me
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Muh Bling!

Is it fair to assume AWS has copies of the board in their archives? I'd expect they are applying AI technology to cross reference to other online presence
View Quote

Were the archives ever public? If so then places like wayback and others (gool, etc) have already crawled it and have them stored.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This. When they first announced the decision, Godaddy stated there was illegal activity. Tonight Ben Shapiro announced that they stated the site violated their TOS, and naturally gave no recourse, no appeals route.

If there's so much illegal activity going on here, they should report it to the proper authorities. While they're at it, they should do the same for every site they register. If they're gonna go hall monitor, go all the way.
View Quote

The Eff Bee Eye is all over the violators, so don't worry. They'll find or make-up something to nab people.

It's also in USC that the FBI cannot act solely on 1A only. That's the law. So it baffles me as to how the bee eye can start tracking and following people because they said something somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/images/2016/sprites-flat.png

Now fight me!  

View Quote

mindblown.gif

(I guess they deleted that one from the meme library)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I was proud to get my first icon. I had to email and show proof and all. I am fine removing them. There is a part of me that wants to start a new account and pay another 24 bucks and start all over.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks GoatBoy. I appreciate your efforts behind the scenes.

I’d echo the call to turn off state locators as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#31]
How did you even get them?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a lottery.  DK bought most of the tickets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Once vetted, all that is nuked.
View Quote

Yes.

I tried explaining (but did a poor job of it) that even with those emails being deleted, there was still a distinct audit trail (group icons you are now obscuring).

I did not have the energy then, to point out to your staff member, outraged at my accusation on what exactly I meant.

I qualify for 4 or 5 of those icons. Never saw any need to BROADCAST my location and affiliations along with my stated positions and mindset to ANYONE who could type in ar15.com + my user name" in a browser.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I was working towards that north korean 4 star general status
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Good thinking, thank you
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Aspida

You can do that on your own in profile settings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went ahead and disabled all the group icons to further protect folks. At this time it seems a silly risk to have anything that can further identify you.

Feel free to discuss, complain, etc. Nothing has been wiped, they simply are not displaying.

@goatboy  good thought, would disabling location be of any value? Just show USA? or Liberia or somewhere?

@Aspida

You can do that on your own in profile settings.

How? Nothing I tried worked. You can’t uncheck the state
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How? Nothing I tried worked. You can’t uncheck the state
View Quote

Select the first item in the state drop down, which is an empty option.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#39]
you should erase our usernames, delete our avatars, post count and state.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why even have country label? The backend has it via registration process, but no need to advertise it in the gui.

Or, make ever user country AUS, this will make AUS govt panic, seeing all these Aussi users who show their evil AR's.
View Quote

NO!

Those knob-jockeys will just block ARFCOM at the ISP again, like they did after Christchurch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I have no fear, but do whatever you think is best.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Our ham radio operators are especially vulnerable.

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We are looking to modify archives when they return to no longer display user information with them. This way the content is saved without attributing individual posts to people. I think this should fit your concern!
View Quote
This. This right here. I like this. Please move forward with this. This is great. Hurry up with this. Thank you in advance for this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#44]
So hold on, we are censoring our achievements and pride to hide ourselves from the left?

Fuck that, I want my Marine Corps icon back. The planet can kiss my ass and let it be known all the way to the gates of Heaven I am a SGT. of Marines.

Of all places to stand I thought this was the place.

Bring everyone’s icons back is my vote.

What is this, Twitter lite?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Goatboy

View Quote

@Goatboy: Or we could just allow members to not list a state if that is their preference... there is no "none" option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#46]
@goatboy

Why not make a poll and let the community decide if we want our icons nullified?

And the years icon change it to some type of ship, not a ribbon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So hold on, we are censoring our achievements and pride to hide ourselves from the left?

Fuck that, I want my Marine Corps icon back. The planet can kiss my ass and let it be known all the way to the gates of Heaven I am a SGT. of Marines.

Of all places to stand I thought this was the place.

Bring everyone’s icons back is my vote.

What is this, Twitter lite?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why don't you just replace the group icons with a yellow star of david "Gun Owner" icon for each of us
View Quote
I'm sure a lot of people here don't actually own guns
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#50]
So sad that we have to go to these lengths. The party of tolerance....
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top