Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2021 4:22:12 PM EDT
The crazy yankee is at it again. I know the trinity goes in gumbo. Anybody ever add chopped up collard greens? Seems like it would taste good in a chicken and sausage gumbo. Lots of simmering, so they’d get nice and tender.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No, just no. Chopped up green onion ok, but not greens.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is okra a green?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
He is talking about leafy greens.  Okra is green but it goes in anything that's good...
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Okra is great in all soups and stews in lieu of celery......that "slime" melts and gives a great texture.  Not fibrous (or mush) like celery either.  I'll sometimes still use a stalk of celery for flavor, but pull it out once it's done its duty--then add the okra in the last 30 minutes or so of simmering.

Pretty easy to grow okra too.  Then just spray the with a little oil, salt, grill, and bite them off the stem.  YUM!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had collards in gumbo and it was very good. Crazy cajun I've hunted with could cook and it was all good. Never ask him what was in it though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a thing called gumbo z’herbes but why do that when you can have shrimp crab and sausage or chicken sausage
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
My avatar would roll over in his grave if you did that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of these replies

Yes, its called green gumbo or gumbo z'herbs, as mentioned above, and its delicious. Thats actually pretty clever of you to come up w/it on your own. I'd only heard about if fairly recently, personally, so have only made it twice, but I pretty much just did what you say in the OP, added fresh collards to it to stew. There are lots of recipes out there for it.

OK I remembered where I first saw it, this guy's channel---

Gumbo Style Collard Greens | Thanksgiving Side Dishes

He's been pretty much spot on with the cajun food vids of his I've watched.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife makes a Gumbo Z''herbes, that is a gumbo made with greens.  She said it started Lenten thing with no meat, but it sometimes has sausage.  https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/leah-chase-gumbo-z-herbes
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:58:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Cajun food being what it is, I don't believe there are any holds barred.  It is a blend of availability to serve.

That said, definite pass on the collards for me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Not greens, but nopales are a good sub for okra.

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not greens, but nopales are a good sub for okra.

View Quote

Sounds interesting, but I have to really look to even find frozen okra up here. If I asked about nopales, much laughter would ensue.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds interesting, but I have to really look to even find frozen okra up here. If I asked about nopales, much laughter would ensue.
View Quote
You can find them in various sized jars if you have a Mexican grocery store, or an ethnic section in your normal store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, just no. Chopped up green onion ok, but not greens.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The recipe I use to make turtle soup has Spinach in it.  It is a damn good recipe and I figure that the collards would do the same.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct this yankee <<<<

I’m told gumbo should not have tomato in it. Why? It’s delicious.

Isn’t the whole origin of gumbo based around it being a whatever you can get in the pot, poor mans stew?

ETA: I’m going to put collard greens in there next time. We’ll find out the hard way. Okra is not an option in my kitchen. It is a requirement.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I've made gumbo zherbes twice.  My kids loved it.  I was shocked!

Anyhow all I did was make my usual chicken and andouille  gumbo and add a bag of mixed greens to it.  It's considered bad luck to have an even number of different mixed greens, so use 3 or 5 different kinds.

Luckily the bag I used had collard, mustard, and turnip greens in it so I was covered.  It was really good,  but it definitely changes the whole character of the gumbo.  It's a different dish entirely with the greens in it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Correct this yankee <<<<

I’m told gumbo should not have tomato in it. Why? It’s delicious.

Isn’t the whole origin of gumbo based around it being a whatever you can get in the pot, poor mans stew?

ETA: I’m going to put collard greens in there next time. We’ll find out the hard way. Okra is not an option in my kitchen. It is a requirement.
View Quote

A little tomato is OK, my mom makes it that way sometimes, usually when she's adding okra.

The poor mans stew is mostly right, you just want to keep things sane in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I've added okra after frying it till it's dry.  It's OK but I can take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try an ethnic market.  Indian markets around here have okra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top