Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/30/2021 10:04:40 AM EDT
Cat is let out at night.  It comes in this morning and begins foaming at the mouth.  It's outside now and I'm not letting it in.  Vet isn't available until Wed. 1430 hours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Check and see if cat has a bone stuck in his mouth.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Hope it's something harmless.  Maybe tried to eat a toad?  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Why aren’t you letting it in?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post this, pup got hold of a toad last wk she was frothing pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not let the cat in?  At first I thought rabies.  I checked the adoption papers (July 2020) and it was says it was vaccinated against rabies and I checked online and it said that the shots are good for three years.  It could be:  (a) ingested something toxic (poisonous), (b) anxiety, (c) rabies, (d) nausea, (e) dental condition or (f) nervousness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Dbl tap
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  This has always been at the root of my animals foaming at the mouth.  Every time.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.  This has always been at the root of my animals foaming at the mouth.  Every time.

View Quote
What's the fix for that?  Just time?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#9]
He tried a frog
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not let the cat in?  At first I thought rabies.  I checked the adoption papers (July 2020) and it was says it was vaccinated against rabies and I checked online and it said that the shots are good for three years.  It could be:  (a) ingested something toxic (poisonous), (b) anxiety, (c) rabies, (d) nausea, (e) dental condition or (f) nervousness.
View Quote

Foaming isn’t a good indicator. You’d see circling and clumsiness. Like distemper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Depends on whether they chewed on it or just licked it/carried it in the mouth IME.

Goes away pretty quickly, usually within 10 minutes or so.  If they can get to their water, it goes away pretty much immediately.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, I'll let Firecracker in when she shows up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope Firecracker quickly rebounds.  Let us know how he fares.  Got any pictures of this kitty?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread would be more entertaining in GD.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m glad he’s not named bottle rocket
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I’m glad he’s not named bottle rocket
View Quote

When I got her from the shelter, they told me "he" was a male and his name was "George."  Well, after seven months "George" decided to become a housecat and sat outside the door until it was let in.  After hiding for a week (food & water were put out), it decided to socialize and rolled on its back.  The bald spots told me it was more of a Georgia than a George.  Time for re-naming.  It received Firecracker because of its personality.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#17]
That’s funny ??.  The kitties earn their names.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
No foaming when the cat came in at 11 pm and was fine all day.  No foaming today either.  Behavior is normal.  Is Firecracker OK?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
She's probably okay.  Have you a photo of Firecracker?  I bet she's cute.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Per your request.  Here is an image of Sarah the black lab mutt on HER bed and Firecracker who squeezed in to sleep next to Sarah.  I guess she likes Sarah's warmth.  Darn cat won't sleep on my stomach or legs if I'm snoozing on the sofa but she'll sleep with Sarah.

The towel is there for me to help pick up Sarah.  The mover's blanket keeps the bed cleaner.  The laundryman must hate me when I take it in to clean it.  
You can see some grey on Sarah's muzzle, the front of her hind legs and white around her paw.  She's OLD (Old Lady Dog). Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine too!   It was freaky
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like Firecracker is taking advantage of the situation.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years ago I had a dog that seemed to like licking toads and carrying frogs around in her mouth.  Did it for years no matter how much I scolded her.  I think she was getting stoned and liked it.

Constantly foaming at the mouth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Came home from shopping and found foam around the kitchen.  Firecracker is foaming again.  I wonder if it ate something bad or should I take it to the vet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Noticed that the cat sometimes gets cobwebs and licks it off before I can wipe it off.  Could that be it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Came home from shopping and found foam around the kitchen.  Firecracker is foaming again.  I wonder if it ate something bad or should I take it to the vet?
View Quote
Maybe walking through something and cleaning paws?  Or got something on fur a few days ago and now it's on the cat. Maybe try brushing or combing and see if you notice anything.

Outdoor cats get into all sorts of shit, and some of it is bad for them.

I don't think eating something bad would cause intermittent foaming like that.  It could be hairball/puking though. Eating and pooping OK?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Per your request.  Here is an image of Sarah the black lab mutt on HER bed and Firecracker who squeezed in to sleep next to Sarah.  I guess she likes Sarah's warmth.  Darn cat won't sleep on my stomach or legs if I'm snoozing on the sofa but she'll sleep with Sarah.

The towel is there for me to help pick up Sarah.  The mover's blanket keeps the bed cleaner.  The laundryman must hate me when I take it in to clean it.  
You can see some grey on Sarah's muzzle, the front of her hind legs and white around her paw.  She's OLD (Old Lady Dog). https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53/Sarah_Firecracker_jpeg-2074653.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can see some grey on Sarah's muzzle, the front of her hind legs and white around her paw.  She's OLD (Old Lady Dog). https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53/Sarah_Firecracker_jpeg-2074653.JPG

That’s precious.

Maybe Firecracker should stay an indoor kitty?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a cat that foams at the mouth when in the carrier to go to the vet (it’s about a 1h45m trip each way.) Maybe something is stressing Firecracker out?
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top