Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 8:08:31 PM EDT
I had a great day at the flea market today....

Starrett Last Word indicator $18 in excellent condition.

Brown & Sharpe protractor $7 missing a part but totally useable. Took a ton of cleaning up. I'm hoping to track down the other parts. I found put that you can calibrate the square and now it's as accurate as my Brown & Sharpe precision 123 blocks. Lol!

Starrett ruler/ square/center finder $20. I got the lower ruler with the tools but I had a spare Starrett ruler that I can keep in the center finder. The entire working surface of the square was brown rust. It cleaned up nicely. I stoned it and checked it against my Mitutoyo machinist square and it is spot on.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
 Noice. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Harbor freight has them for $7.

Just kidding, I love finding old quality built tools.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool stuff op
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Harbor freight has them for $7.

Just kidding, I love finding old quality built tools.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice score!
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The flea market has been crazy good for me this year.

I spent $80 today on this stuff.

The Countersinks are German.

This little sine bar is edm machined and the guy ground the top flat and notch. I'm sure it's home made.

The 6" x 1/16" slitting saw is worth more than I paid for the whole lot. The Countersink set is worth $150 or more. The Letter drill bit set is Cle-line and worth around $100. Crazy good day. Keeps happening over and over. Last week I got 7 lbs of odd brass pieces for $10.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
OP is killing it!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Cincinnati USA made heat treated quality....$10 total

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That Last Word indicator makes me lament the time when Starret stopped color case hardening their stuff.  Somehow, that little touch just added that bit of class which said: "This is a high quality tool."  Now they just have to rely on the name, more than the presentation.

Yes, I know---cyanide and other toxic stuff is the reason, but still . . . .
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The flea market did not disappoint today. The tool holder was $15. The inserts were $6 each. Not a stupid deal but definitely worth what I paid. I bought 10 threading inserts and 5 - 1/16" grooving inserts. I'll buy more next time the guy is there.

The Mesa Tool threading inserts I bought with their holder have been a disappointing. They chip extremely easily.

I've wanted to buy a better tool and insert set. This was my chance.

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
The flea market is still continuing to deliver for my home shop. I bought this Brown & Sharpe Surface gauge today for $15. It needed about 30 minutes of clean up.

I lapped the bottom a bit to check it and it wasn't perfectly flat so I spent some time lapping with 320, 500, and 600 grit sandpaper.

Now it has a shiny finish that glides on the granite surface plate like its on air bearings. I checked each corner with a tenths indicator for rocking and there is no discernable needle movement. Now I can trust it. It even wrings to the granite plate slightly.

I mounted a Brown Sharpe Tenths indicator on the surface gauge and used a 1/2" gauge pin to set my gap. Now I can set zero with a trusted square surface and check the workpiece.

Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of the country are you in that those are screaming hot deals?
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow OP. Awesome deals/finds. All that stuff reminds me of my dad and his tools. They sure do not make them like they used to. Tagged thread
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What part of the country are you in that those are screaming hot deals?
View Quote

Andover Ohio at the old drive in theater.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought this nice Akro Mills organizer at the flea market for $5. I cleaned it throughly and it looks pretty nice. The drawers are significantly larger than the standard tiny drawers on the small organizers. I'd guess 1.5" deep by a bit wider and 6" deep or so. I should measure the drawers.

Now I have near instant access to my 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 nuts, lock nuts, lock washers, washers, fender washers, and fine thread nuts. I had three drawers left over for 7/16 nuts, washers, and fine nuts.

All these were sorted in larger bins with all the 1/4" stuff in a bin so you had to dig to find anything in particular. It was time lost everytime I had to dig around for something.

I would love to find the exact same organizer to make a more compact place to keep my metric nuts and washers. Unfortunately there is nothing on Ebay.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out bidspotter.com there a few industrial auctioneers that have a lot of Cleveland based tool auctions. Being in Ohio you can get a lot more cooler stuff for your money if you look around.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Check out bidspotter.com there a few industrial auctioneers that have a lot of Cleveland based tool auctions. Being in Ohio you can get a lot more cooler stuff for your money if you look around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Okay!  Have a nice day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top