Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 6:22:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As someone who's Castle Greyskull is stuck permanently in 1992 tech wise and 1965 culture wise, this all sounds interesting.

HOWEVER,

I want far less management from the purple aprons and more autonomy for my Lodge.  Basically, Castle Greyskull is holding my Lodge back and needs to get the F*&# out of our way.  They are not part of the problem, they ARE the problem.  My Lodge has no trust and little respect for Castle Greyskull.  I want them to leave us alone.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Not in our state.  If you are not on the stage, you do not have a voice. NO ONE on the floor has any voice at all.  If you disagree with them publicly the purple aprons will throw you out.  They tried that with me.  I take them to task regularly and they threatened to throw me out.  When I didn't back down and said I wanted a trial for their imaginary charges they backed off.  Then the went after my Lodge and threatened to throw us all out.  Again I pushed them back and prevailed.  

Any wonder why I don't trust anyone with a purple apron?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a vote, but to bring up legislation from the floor is just about impossible.  You wouldn't be able to get in front of a microphone, and the purple aprons do not entertain motions not made from them.    Basically, unless you kiss their a$$ enough to get them to promote a motion, it ain't happening.  The vote we have is basically to elect the next person in line.  Not so much to vote on something from the floor.  

Basically, "we've always done it this way"
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Lodges don’t submit resolutions, in writing, prior to the Annual Communication? In Wisconsin proposed legislation is submitted and checked by Jurisprudential to ensure it’s in the proper manner and form, and it doesn’t conflict with other Masonic Law. Then they’re distributed to all the Lodges so they have a voice in how their Delegates vote. Delegates are the three principal officers. They can vote however they want. But I’m not aware of anyone voting against the will of the lodge. Past Grand Masters also have a vote.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lodges don’t submit resolutions, in writing, prior to the Annual Communication? In Wisconsin proposed legislation is submitted and checked by Jurisprudential to ensure it’s in the proper manner and form, and it doesn’t conflict with other Masonic Law. Then they’re distributed to all the Lodges so they have a voice in how their Delegates vote. Delegates are the three principal officers. They can vote however they want. But I’m not aware of anyone voting against the will of the lodge. Past Grand Masters also have a vote.
View Quote

No.  Our only outlet is literally to bring something up on the floor.  Which as I said, is generally not recognized.  The Lodges can attempt to bring up legislation, but you have a popsicle's chance in Hell of getting action.

As I said, unless you have a purple apron you are persona non grata in the Grand Lodge.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#10]
No, because it's not digital.  What are you crazy?  There's no way we could have a document saved digitally!  There would be no way that the GL could sell copies for $20 if it were digital.  Besides, it get's amended ever other year (with the name of the new Grape Ape) so you NEED to buy one.

It says that we can bring motions from the floor.  But in practice we are not recognized.  Just like in Washington; theoretically we have a voice but the politicians only listen to each other and the lobbyists.  Same in Castle Greyskull.  Best thing you can do is just avoid them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We used to sell ours.  I got tired of people making excuses for why they couldn't access it so I uploaded it to our membership portal.   It's available in PDF format to any Master Mason.
View Quote

Blasphemi!  Innovations!  BAN HIM!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You would never get into the line in SC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lodges understanding that G.L. serves them, not the other way around.
View Quote

You know that’s crazy talk, right?

Unfortunately, many organizations have forgotten that our members are volunteers. That’s part of why we have membership problems. Constantly focusing on compliance the the lodges are there to support the Grand Lodge. Forgetting that the Grand Lodge is the Delegates not the Grand Lodge Officers. We’ve also forgotten that the length of a Brother’s cable-tow is measured by him, not us.

Several years ago, our Grand Master was a retired Army Colonel and the line officers bought-in to them working for the constituent lodges. Fortunately, having been GHP and MIGM twice, I hope Grand Chapter and Grand Council have turned that around. I’m afraid Grand Commandery never will. The egos of Grand Encampment are too infectious.

Wanna have fun? Speak to the adult leadership of Job’s Daughters, with the girls present. I spoke at the Grand Bethel Guardian Council Installation one year. After watching two hours of grown women patting themselves on the back I asked them to all stand. I told the girls the Council worked for them and to hold them responsible for their support. You’d have thought I was running around shooting puppies. It was great! When I was president of the Masonic Unity Conference I changed the precedence of leadership in the directory to have the Grand Bethel Honored Queen before the Grand Bethel Guardian. Another puppy shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
It is interesting to see how various jurisdictions and GLs operate.

MO GL seems pretty decent in how they handle things.  My only concern is we are locked down from doing any degree work and have been for some time and it may be Spring '21 before we resume.  We can only open on the 1st degree for stated.  While we have formed a petitioners club and have regular meetings to keep several potential new members interested it is hard to watch them leave after we have supper before a meeting.

The side conversation on youth groups was pretty interesting.  I am an advisor for the local Rainbow Assembly and chapter advisor for the DeMolay Chapter.  DeMolay is very much member led, I sit in the chapter to prompt and give keep the conversation from getting too far off topic during business meetings.  The advisors provide support and guidance if asked and we let them fail.  Not in a cruel way, but if they don't plan an event well and things are not great they learn from it.  Rainbow state leadership had a significant change a few years ago.  It went from very heavy handed control by the supreme deputy and her cohorts to much more member led.  It is significantly closer in operation to DeMolay now that it ever was before.

I found the shooting puppies post entertaining.  It has taken awhile, but slowly old guard adults that were chasing titles have drifted from our youth advisory boards.  I work with some great people that want the best for the youth and are happy to support them.  For me the greatest honor is seeing the young men and women achieve their goals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top