Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2022 11:54:45 PM EDT
Whiskey and bourbon are aged in oak barrels, then some barrels are given a second life at wineries or rum distilleries. The aging process is dependent on temperature swings and the alcohol exchanging thru the wood.

My question is what would happen if a charred piece of oak (same species as barrel oak) were put in a bottle of grain alcohol and allowed to set/soak for an extended period of time, and allowed to go thru temperature swings? Would it become whiskey in a sense, or just brown/gray grain alcohol?
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Grain alcohol is too hot and in my opinion not a good mash bill for aging and trying to create a decent sipping whiskey.

Start with a "white dog" (Evan Williams etc.) or distill your own mash then you can do the "charred oak stave in a glass jar" trick if you want to hurry the aging along.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grain alcohol is too hot and in my opinion not a good mash bill for aging and trying to create a decent sipping whiskey.

Start with a "white dog" (Evan Williams etc.) or distill your own mash then you can do the "charred oak stave in a glass jar" trick if you want to hurry the aging along.
View Quote
This^^^
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Oak & Eden finishes in the bottle in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#4]
You also want the ABV during either barrel or charred stave of oak to be  60-65% with 62.5(125 proof) thought to be optimum. After aging, it's gets cut to 80 proof.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/lifestyle/7728/
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Whiskey starts its life as grain alcohol, so there’s that technicality.  The specific requirements for certain whiskies are mainly what sets it apart from neutral grain spirits.

But if you’re contemplating taking some higher proof vodka and adding some oak (spiral, chips, etc), it will taste like shit.  I’ve tried several variations of this, up to Buffalo Trace white dog aged in a real barrel, and it’s still awful.  Way too much quality whisky/ey on the shelf to make this experiment worthwhile.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top