Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2021 12:03:06 PM EDT
Was connected via PIA VPN's Denver server.  Tried to look up an address using google maps.  Wouldn't load.  Turned off the VPN, loaded.  Turned back on, nope.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the feds hate you using VPNs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Using a VPN since the election. I hope it helps privacy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Duckduckgo
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Gogglle will do anything to make money off of you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Having an issue with email using microsoft email with windows 10. A few days ago some of my accounts quit loading. Turned off the vpn and they loaded finally.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Express VPN works, but every time you do the first google search it forces you to solve the "Captcha". So it's saying they don't trust the VPN domain address.  I just use duckduck for most things, its search results are good enough.  But once in a while I'll jump through the google hoop.

ETA: This is not new behavior, been like that for at least a year I'd guess.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Express VPN works, but every time you do the first google search it forces you to solve the "Captcha". So it's saying they don't trust the VPN domain address.  I just use duckduck for most things, its search results are good enough.  But once in a while I'll jump through the google hoop.

View Quote

This is my experience also using NordVPN.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was connected via PIA VPN's Denver server.  Tried to look up an address using google maps.  Wouldn't load.  Turned off the VPN, loaded.  Turned back on, nope.

View Quote
I'm on PIA Denver right now. Google maps pulls up just fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is my experience also using NordVPN.
View Quote
Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't post much, so take anything I write with a grain of salt.

You're more likely to get more reliable connections, though somewhat lower overall throughput, if you lower the MTU and/or clamp the TCP MSS values to match the interface MTU on the VPN interface. Odds are better that your operating system and/or VPN provider isn't fragmenting packets correctly than Google is actively blocking a particular VPN provider.  Also, if you're using a 4G/LTE/5G router/modem, those typically have a fairly low MTU, and usually it's difficult to discern what it is unless you've got advanced access to the configuration management. There are ways to test, but it's easier to just test and tune.

Explaining how to achieve either (both) of those two recommendations is OS/VPN protocol dependent.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I have issues with Nord VPN on my Iphone and google maps not working. Very annoying and to my knowledge no reason that VPN would have anything to do with loading maps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of online services hate VPN users. Take your business elsewhere. Or connect to a node in Uzbekistan.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck anything google.

For maps, use https://wego.here.com
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I do as well. Ddg works for most things but sometimes not.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had a few website refuse connection from a European relay.  Disconnecting my ProtonVPN allowed the connection.

I've never seen a Captcha here, or when using Google.  Maybe uBlock Origin fixes that?
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only ran into that problem with google when starting to setup a new laptop.  Computer I was moving away from, no problem, new computer, many captchas, VPN on both.  Took a bit to figure it out.  New computer I hadn't signed into google so they apparently didn't know how to easily track my activity (think it has to do with shared ip addresses assigned by the VPN.  https://www.vpnuniversity.com/learn/shared-vs-dedicated-vpn-ip-address)  Signed in, no more captchas.  I didn't like the force submission to being tracked so signed out, weighed the pros and cons of other search engines and started using DuckDuckGo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top