Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2021 6:02:09 PM EDT
Are there instances where Goodwill employees arrange for in-demand donated items to be bought from the store, and sold externally for profit?  I think that would be bad for Goodwill's mission, and decrease likelihood of donations.

Asking because I donated a bunch of DVDs and video games, went to retrieve a couple accidentally donated, and none of the material I donated was anywhere to be seen in the store.

Pretty sure this is exactly what happens with primers at scheels, too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There are people who make a living going to Goodwill and buying up stuff to resell for profit. So anything good that you donated on accident won’t last long in the store.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some employees weren’t in on it on some level.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing about that store model isn't for profit.

They trick people into donating.  You would have the same result as donating products to Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure the people at Goodwill love it when people show up to try and get their stuff back
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Inflation has hit Goodwill stores. The bargains aren't much of a bargain anymore.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Goodwill sorts incoming donations and the “good stuff” goes on their own auction site
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Not only do they capitalize on the fact that people think they're donating to charity, they have the nerve to ask "do you want to donate to our cause?" That's some shady shit right there. Capitalism is great, fraud is not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Local store is pretty pro-rainbow, too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are people who make a living going to Goodwill and buying up stuff to resell for profit. So anything good that you donated on accident won’t last long in the store.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some employees weren’t in on it on some level.
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I imagine anything "good" gets scooped by employees and resold for their own sake before it reaches the sales floor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
They used to sell on ebay, maybe still do
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Inflation has hit Goodwill stores. The bargains aren't much of a bargain anymore.
View Quote
It varies by store, I check a couple for books and a few years ago hardcovers suddenly jumped from 75 cents to $2.50 at one, but are still $1.50 at another.  Others can be worse:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I honestly don't care what they do with the unwanted, but perfectly fine stuff I have dropped off there. Fuck them. I stopped giving them my unwanted items a long time ago. I have a backlog of things to donate (mostly clothes, household items, toys for young kids) and I really don't want to give it to goodwill, and certainly no need to trash. I would like to give it to another organization that actually gives it to people in need, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Goodwill sorts incoming donations and the “good stuff” goes on their own auction site
View Quote

This.
They had a 1959 Fender Bassman amp on their auction site earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
They have online listings too. I'm guessing they're in another room getting listed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Goodwill sorts everything before going to the rack.

I know for a fact that they sort name brand stuff and in WI, anything with Packers, UW or Harley Davidson  gets put off to the side with the stretched out and faded crap put out in the store as "teaser items" to keep people coming in.
The good shit is put up on online auction sites.

I used to service one and I was told by the manager how it all works. Large signs by bins in the back too with people sorting. Pretty obvious. Signs above bins for Nike, UA, Columbia, GB Packers, Harley, etc.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I honestly don't care what they do with the unwanted, but perfectly fine stuff I have dropped off there. Fuck them. I stopped giving them my unwanted items a long time ago. I have a backlog of things to donate (mostly clothes, household items, toys for young kids) and I really don't want to give it to goodwill, and certainly no need to trash. I would like to give it to another organization that actually gives it to people in need, any suggestions?
View Quote
The local St. Vincent de Paul is legit, and I've heard positive things about them nationally.  They run a food bank and assistance desk right in the store and have a table full of free vegetables from local gardens.  Doesn't look like anybody's getting rich off it.  (Somebody tell me if I'm wrong)
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everything is minimum $10 now. I used to walk through and pick up the odd tool for a couple dollars, no more .

10 bucks . Or more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#18]
The GW stores around here ship goods between stores.  Stuff donated in better neighborhoods often goes to stores in less desirable neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

shopgoodwill.com

They cull the premium stuff and sell it on their own online auction site.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Beats going to the dump and paying $$$
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Goodwill sorts incoming donations and the "good stuff" goes on their own auction site
View Quote
Basically this. The dumpster diving days are mostly over. From time to time you can find something good in store, but the employees generally have enough braincells to set aside and auction off anything potentially worth money, and in my experience the goodwill auctions tend to close at or above market value for most desirable things.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Higher end items are sold by goodwill but usually on eBay.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:44:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They also sell on eBay.

Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#24]
our local store used to be kick ass for stuff we are just average folks with decent stuff were done with, it was great for stuff a guy can have a second chance with... then the fuckers started loading it all in trailers 8 months ago when someone figured how much good stuff was coming in and they are mining the area...the store is full of junk shit now... assholes!
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d rather take my unwanted stuff to the dump for five bucks than give it to goodwill so they or a customer of theirs can make money off it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
then the fuckers started loading it all in trailers 8 months ago when someone figured how much good stuff was coming in and they are mining the area...the store is full of junk shit now... assholes!
View Quote
Yeah that's the crux of the issue. Goodwill's essentially a wholeseller for Ebay resellers now. It's hard to thrift when you're fighting against people that have turned it into a career.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Donate to DAV.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah that's the crux of the issue. Goodwill's essentially a wholeseller for Ebay resellers now. It's hard to thrift when you're fighting against people that have turned it into a career.
View Quote

you gotta be a combination of quick,  consistent, and lucky.

I know folks that make near six figures trolling thrifts, fleas, and pawn stores and reselling shit
I myself have pulled many K's of profit out of the same and that helps fund my other hobbies.  it's fun finding cool shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Our store is staffed by ex cons and druggies.

My wife donates our stuff to the crisis center.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
They do this.

Things that are valuable, but not shippable, get culled and sent to the "nice" goodwill so they can jack the price and get top dollar.

Stuff like in demand DVDs, CD box sets, collectors editions of books get pulled and sold on ebay/Amazon/other third party retail sites.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you gotta be a combination of quick,  consistent, and lucky.

I know folks that make near six figures trolling thrifts, fleas, and pawn stores and reselling shit
I myself have pulled many K's of profit out of the same and that helps fund my other hobbies.  it's fun finding cool shit.
View Quote

It is definitely fun finding cool stuff at the Goodwill to resell and spend on other hobbies.  You can tell which Goodwills have people that are more in the know about ebay pricing for certain items.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
our local store used to be kick ass for stuff we are just average folks with decent stuff were done with, it was great for stuff a guy can have a second chance with... then the fuckers started loading it all in trailers 8 months ago when someone figured how much good stuff was coming in and they are mining the area...the store is full of junk shit now... assholes!
View Quote

Not 8 months ago. They have been doing this for a long, long time. Years. Its part of the business model.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

They do.

I buy books from the Goodwills, $3.99 delivered.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The local St. Vincent de Paul is legit, and I've heard positive things about them nationally.  They run a food bank and assistance desk right in the store and have a table full of free vegetables from local gardens.  Doesn't look like anybody's getting rich off it.  (Somebody tell me if I'm wrong)
View Quote

I donate to the St. Vincent’s by me.  Nice store.  Used to be one for the blind too but that closed.  Shame as that’s also a great cause.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I’d rather take my unwanted stuff to the dump for five bucks than give it to goodwill so they or a customer of theirs can make money off it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  I love GW.  I take my junk there and get a tax deduction.  If GW makes some money, what is the harm?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I see stuff for sale on ebay that benefits the Goodwill, I can see them doing it with dvds too. Non profits get real steep discounts on shipping too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#37]
9/10 goodwill employees are hoarders. They pilfer through everything as soon as it gets there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]
We have a Salvation Army store that gets tons of shit. Sometimes they close the drop off lane and you have to wait a day or two before they open again. The guys taking the stuff from the cars make the Samsonite commercial gorilla look like a pansy. They're why I now just throw my stuff in the trash. Nice area, lots of money has come in the last twenty or so years.
Place smells like a rancid laundromat if walk in though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
The stores that get mostly donated to, ship much of their received donations to other stores, that generally get more “buying” than donations
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I donate to the St. Vincent’s by me.  Nice store.  Used to be one for the blind too but that closed.  Shame as that’s also a great cause.
View Quote

They probably had trouble finding it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Goodwill, the store people think is a charity.
The CEO and management are making millions, the store workers are getting minimum wage and the charities are only getting 12% of the profits. Tax payers are also subsidizing Goodwills training programs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
We take good stuff to the DAV thrift store. Worthless junk to goodwill because it's closer. Infant clothing furniture and toys to Women's Center (Crisis Pregnancy type organization).
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#43]
A lot of the better stuff donated at the local Salvation Army gets separated out and sold at their bigger stores in larger cities.
You might have the same thing going on at your place
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have Salvation Army here. Also numerous church groups.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Salvation Army
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Goodwill, the store people think is a charity.
The CEO and management are making millions, the store workers are getting minimum wage and the charities are only getting 12% of the profits. Tax payers are also subsidizing Goodwills training programs.
View Quote
You mean that capitalist fat cats are getting rich off the hamster cage I donated to Goodwill, and the suit I got married in 20 years ago?

I thought I had eliminated poverty
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#47]
My daughter works for the local GW as a sorter in the back not a cashier.

She has to sort through boxes of donations and pull out the good stuff.
Then has to hang price tags the clothes and hang them on racks.
There is a list of clothing items and prices that they want to sell them for.

They don't put good stuff up on ebay or ship them to other stores in the area.

Chances are if its cool and the employee wants it they will put it aside and pay for it after their shift full price.

70% of the shit you donate gets thrown out. Because its garbage. People drop crap off because GW is closer then the town dump.

She has to sort bags of used underwear,  ripped and torn clothes. Nasty unwashed clothes stained with puke and shit. If she opens a bag and its full of your nasty shit she just chucks it in the dumpster.

She is not retarded she gets 40hr a week and benefits.

Its not the greatest place to work but its not the worst.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Stop giving shit to goodwill.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine goes to the local Boys & Girls Club thrift store. At least I know it's actually helping a good cause. And it stays LOCAL.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top