Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 3/2/2023 8:32:03 AM EDT
Looking for a good but not too expensive shock collar for our dog. labrador retriever that just won't stay in our yard, even with wireless fence. Currently chaining him up when i'm not out there with him but want him to be able to move about a little more so hoping with a shock collar i can train him to stay in our yard.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Garmin and it works well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 Sport Dog brand Sport Hunter models. They work really well and one is about 7 years old. After the initial training the dogs just need the audible beep to get their attention. I rarely need the shock function anymore.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you want it to do.

If you want to set boundaries and walk away, you'll need a GPS enabled collar.  They're neat, but I didn't need that capability. Plus they're a little spendy (more than the complete radio fence set up).

I bought a PetSpy training collar on amazon.  Cost about $60.  I was dubious at first, but after a year and a half, its still going strong.  You can adjust correction level from transmitter.  You have: tone, vibrate, small shock, big shock.

My dog learned what the tone meant from the radio fence.  I needed something to keep her within sight when we get out in the woods (strong prey drive).  Its survived rain and mud.  I never had to shock her, but that feature delivers plenty of correction if needed.  FWIW, a buddy of mine bought one for his coon dog (in addition to GPS collar) and he loves it.

The marketing claims 1100yd reach.  I've only tested it out to 350-400, but it worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigfish9202] [#4]
Garmin has been great
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By rat1624:
Looking for a good but not too expensive shock collar for our dog. labrador retriever that just won't stay in our yard, even with wireless fence. Currently chaining him up when i'm not out there with him but want him to be able to move about a little more so hoping with a shock collar i can train him to stay in our yard.

View Quote
@rat1624

If he won't stay with a wireless fence why not fence the yard.  Or build a kennel.

Your lab is bored.  He needs engagement, not to be a terrified lawn ornament.  This isn't what a e-collar is for - and it's why the movement to ban them succeed in Europe and is gaining momentum in the US.

In most cases (I'd bet "all cases") the highest "fuck you dog" setting on an e-collar is about the same as the high "fuck you dog" setting on the wireless fence collar.  So no difference unless you just mash the button until he convulses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
@rat1624

If he won't stay with a wireless fence why not fence the yard.  Or build a kennel.

Your lab is bored.  He needs engagement, not to be a terrified lawn ornament.  This isn't what a e-collar is for - and it's why the movement to ban them succeed in Europe and is gaining momentum in the US.

In most cases (I'd bet "all cases") the highest "fuck you dog" setting on an e-collar is about the same as the high "fuck you dog" setting on the wireless fence collar.  So no difference unless you just mash the button until he convulses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rat1624:

@rat1624

I didn't consider what kind of training the OP did for the radio fence.

If you put a collar on them and just set them loose, they'll keep blowing through the fence.

The training is easy and repetitive.  I live in the middle of 500acres of rowcrop.  My mutt has a fierce prey drive, but she won't go beyond the "fence" boundaries...even when chasing an armadillo,possum,groundhog, or deer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
@rob78

The problem (to me) with radio fences is not the contained dog (though I do consider that some high prey drive dogs - like the Breed of Peace - will blow through them to nom nom on children, old people like me and other dogs).

The problem is other dogs or coyotes.  My fence serves more to keep the "so sweet and harmless" shit bull pack that the ghetto breeder down the block lets get out (and coyotes) out than to keep my GSD in.

My GSD is usually in the house or with me.  I don't put him outside and leave him.  I understand others mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
@rob78

The problem (to me) with radio fences is not the contained dog (though I do consider that some high prey drive dogs - like the Breed of Peace - will blow through them to nom nom on children, old people like me and other dogs).

The problem is other dogs or coyotes.  My fence serves more to keep the "so sweet and harmless" shit bull pack that the ghetto breeder down the block lets get out (and coyotes) out than to keep my GSD in.

My GSD is usually in the house or with me.  I don't put him outside and leave him.  I understand others mileage may vary.
View Quote

You're absolutely right.  Coyotes are a problem, less so because I'm chock full of turkeys and swamp rabbits, but still out there.

I'm always outside with my dog.  She's 25lbs soaking wet, but doesn't know it.  

From Mid-February to the first part of April, I carry a rifle with me when she's out.  I had to turn a yote inside-out last year.  

In your case, you have to have a physical fence.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
You need a physical fence.  Throwing an e-collar in your dog is the worst thing you can do to try to get him to stay in your yard.  If you can’t afford a fence make a run for him on a wire.  If you get an e collar for real training go with Garmin, Dogtra, or E-collar technologies.  Do NOT buy some $30 collar off of Amazon. They can short out and constantly stimulate your dog.  If that happens your dog will
Have issues forever. Dogtra would be as cheap as I’d go.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top