Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 5:45:46 PM EDT
I help with a men's Bible study and am looking for some good discussion questions/topics for this week, any tips or input appreciated
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Pick a passage to read.

You can always go with the three question method
1- what does the passage say
2- what do you learn about God from the passage
3- how can you apply this to your life

This can be applied to any passage, short or long, and gets to the meat.

ETA And, if you’re having trouble deciding on a passage or topic, do two things. Pray about it and think about those areas where you have been challenged or that have been really meaningful to you. For example, God has taught me a lot about parenting and also about leaning on Him in tough times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
God's sense of humor.

Ex.  Noah building an Arc nowhere near water when it had never rained before.   picture his neighbors .....  Hey Noah how you going to get that boat to the water?   Noah .... why are you loading animals on your boat.......  

Ex. Luke 3:1 & 2 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,

2Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

Here you have a long list of important people.  Where did the word of God come...... the wilderness......to  who....... John...... UM  who's that?    John the son of Zacharia
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What is rumbling around for me is:

------------------------------------------------

What does it mean to be made in the image of God?  
What does it mean that both men and women are made in the image of God?

(No real definitive answer, but a nice question to think about and ponder with like minded believers)

When God says in Genesis 3

16 To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be contrary to your husband, but he shall rule over you.”

Is the second line, something Men and Women will do because of the entry of sin into the world, or because God has now declared that it be this way? (i.e. God stating what will happen versus God making a law to obey).  How does the difference matter?

In the Lord's prayer in Luke 11, notice that Jesus then seems to teach about all of the topics in the prayer in the remainder of the chapter (Fatherhood, kingdom, bread, forgiveness, temptation).

If this is genuinely what he did, then how does his follow on teaching inform the prayer, and how does his prayer inform the follow on teaching?

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't you be discussing what you are studying?

Don't turn it into a women's bible study

Women''s "Bible Studies" These Days
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bCgr7w68z0
View Quote

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. It should be more scripture/theology based rather than philosophically based.

It never hurts to reevaluate topics related to apologetics.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bCgr7w68z0
View Quote

Holy Cow!

I am only sharing my personal experiences, but this video resonates with my experiences listening to SOME sermons when I was a Protestant:

In the video, the women had to read 1 (one) verse for the week and "study" it. The verse was 1 Samuel 17:50
50 So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

Their "work" was to think about the Goliaths they face in their daily lives; with work, relationships, kids, etc.

When I was a Protestant, I actually listened, in Church, to hour long sermons on two or three verses, not much longer than the example in the video.
SAME LEVEL of Scriptural use and the SAME approach to "preaching".

Lutheran Church: No. They had pretty solid services all the way around.

Southern Baptist: Some yes, some no, but pretty good overall.

Church of Christ: Same

Non-denominational/"Christian": HOLY COW!
This is very much what I witnessed. I went to a few services with some relatives where a young guy in stone-washed jeans, button down black shirt, Italian leather shoes, wet looking hair, and a FANCY watch stood on stage with a Bible in his hand and NEVER opened it or quoted from it. Over an hour long "sermon".

Church two: Old fuddy-duddy in a tired suit read a verse aloud and then railed on about the ills of society which sounded more like a political rally than a sermon.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
David and Goliath....
In our Sunday School class 2 weeks ago, we mentioned this and discussed how that is the most used topic for making it all about you.  Instead of looking at what happened and seeing the Lord work in it and seeing the whole Biblical and Systematic theology and how it points to Christ, people say” what Goliath am I facing?”

Last week I was away and attended a non denominational service because it was all that was available.  Yep.  David and Goliath...what are your Goliaths.  

Because Covid jacked up everything, my 14 yo attends the adult class with me,  he had been in the class ,he turned to me and just laughed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
David and Goliath....
In our Sunday School class 2 weeks ago, we mentioned this and discussed how that is the most used topic for making it all about you.  Instead of looking at what happened and seeing the Lord work in it and seeing the whole Biblical and Systematic theology and how it points to Christ, people say” what Goliath am I facing?”

Last week I was away and attended a non denominational service because it was all that was available.  Yep.  David and Goliath...what are your Goliaths.  

Because Covid jacked up everything, my 14 yo attends the adult class with me,  he had been in the class ,he turned to me and just laughed.
View Quote

Are you serious?!!!

What are the chances of that, LOL!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Holy Cow!

I am only sharing my personal experiences, but this video resonates with my experiences listening to SOME sermons when I was a Protestant:

In the video, the women had to read 1 (one) verse for the week and "study" it. The verse was 1 Samuel 17:50
50 So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him.

Their "work" was to think about the Goliaths they face in their daily lives; with work, relationships, kids, etc.

When I was a Protestant, I actually listened, in Church, to hour long sermons on two or three verses, not much longer than the example in the video.
SAME LEVEL of Scriptural use and the SAME approach to "preaching".

Lutheran Church: No. They had pretty solid services all the way around.

Southern Baptist: Some yes, some no, but pretty good overall.

Church of Christ: Same

Non-denominational/"Christian": HOLY COW!
This is very much what I witnessed. I went to a few services with some relatives where a young guy in stone-washed jeans, button down black shirt, Italian leather shoes, wet looking hair, and a FANCY watch stood on stage with a Bible in his hand and NEVER opened it or quoted from it. Over an hour long "sermon".

Church two: Old fuddy-duddy in a tired suit read a verse aloud and then railed on about the ills of society which sounded more like a political rally than a sermon.

View Quote

Ah that makes sense. I got the vibe you were formally Protestant. Most people raised (that I’ve come across) Catholic aren’t as zealous as you are. What sect? If you’re looking for some decent in depth Bible studies. This guy’s verse by verse studies are pretty solid though I’m sure you’ll disagree on some things since he’s a Baptist. His Hebrews study is pretty decent.
https://youtube.com/user/Robertbreaker3
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah that makes sense. I got the vibe you were formally Protestant. Most people raised (that I’ve come across) Catholic aren’t as zealous as you are. What sect?
View Quote

I'm a cradle Catholic.

The only difference is that I spent years determined to prove Catholicism was wrong, so I decided to research Protestantism in an extremely in depth effort, which led me to join some Protestant Churches.

Lutheran
Southern Baptist
Non-denominational

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top