Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2020 1:24:11 AM EDT
I recently decided not to rebind my current beloved Bible*

I am looking to purchase a good quality Bible that could be used and still passed down (they don't make them like they used to)

What are some really good quality Bible makers out there?

Looking for Genuine Leather cover, smyth-sewn bindings (or something as strong), think paper, etc.
 (I will be getting a KJV if it matters selection wise)

Thanks guys.

*[the pages, sigatures, etc. aren't bound well and it would not be worth the binding I want]
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Way back when I was looking, I remember a really good quality KJV published by a smaller company. I can't remember who they were, but they did the KJV only.

Found it: http://localchurchbiblepublishers.com/

If you want margin notes, or specialty items, it will determine what bible you buy.

I bought an ESV wide margin leather bound reference bible from crossway.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My preference is the Companion Bible. Kind of hard to find and a little pricey.  But The appendixes alone are more than worth the price.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:56:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Holman makes a good study bible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.

My favorite Bible (one I'm having to stop using all the time) is the Thomas Nelson Open Bible.  I love the notes, the way the references are laid out, the concordance, etc.  It's a great Bible. ... at the end of the day, I may buy a premium version of that Bible (Open Bible - Premium Style); but part of me wants to get a more "standard" Bible with references, etc. and light on any notes.

I'll check your recommendations out, much appreciated and thanks for taking the time!
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out evangelicalbible.com

I have the Schuyler personal Quentel in a goatskin cover.  Great quality.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]
My one recommendation would be to insist on "Genuine Leather" covers. Not Bonded Leather. I found a Bible that has a full grain leather cover -- thick like a motorcycle jacket. Any other cover material never stands up to the test of time in my experience.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
@largegiant04

I am looking at a Schuyler Canterbury KJV whenever they come out with the Red Letter edition.

Do the self-pronouncing texts get on your nerves?
Some words are fine with me, but when I saw "Mo-ses, Da-vid, and He-brew" in the pronunciation examples (and tons of other) it seemed excessive to the point of disruption.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine doesn't have the self pronouncing text. That would be rather distracting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Apostolic Bible Polyglot
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]
So what do you go with OP?  I've got a Cambridge Pitt Minion I like.  Sturdy and compact enough you can bring it anywhere.  Also got the Quintel which is a nice middle ground.

I have a huge Allen but it's just unwieldy.  Get something easy to use...I wouldn't go to big.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
If I was wanting something that I am planning on from the the beginning to pass down, “genuine” leather would not be my choice if I could afford top or full grain leather.  “Genuine” leather doesn’t equal quality https://bestleather.org/types-of-leather/genuine/
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I am very attached to my bible. It isn't anything special. King James Verson with large print. I know where things are in it and when I hear a reference I can quickly find it. I heard a podcast a while back about it is good to get a new bible now and then to simply aid in discovery. That being comfortable hinders new discovery. I haven't rushed to replace mine yet but it does make sense.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
If they have your favored translation, then this is pretty much the answer. Otherwise find something with good paper quality and send it to Post Tenebras Lux.

Personally, I found out that I prefer center column verse references.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what do you go with OP?  I've got a Cambridge Pitt Minion I like.  Sturdy and compact enough you can bring it anywhere.  Also got the Quintel which is a nice middle ground.

I have a huge Allen but it's just unwieldy.  Get something easy to use...I wouldn't go to big.
View Quote

@UmbertoFoster
@Skinny79

I haven't gotten my new one yet.  Well I have, but I haven't haha.  I bought a "Like New" KJV Open Bible from the 1980's (Nelson made them better then) online that I hope to get by next week.  It's leather, sewn, etc.  That's to replace my current Open Bible.

I am still going to buy one of the "higher end" Bibles and am leaning toward the Schulyer Canterbury at this stage (when they release the full size with red letter text(.  I think the personal size's font may be too small to comfortably read, so even if unwieldy, the large size may be the best.  The only other contender against it is something called the KJV "Lion" Bible from a different company.  If they look as good as what they are advertising, it may be a good option.  I'm a little concerned that it's printed in China instead of the Netherlands.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@UmbertoFoster
@Skinny79

I haven't gotten my new one yet.  Well I have, but I haven't haha.  I bought a "Like New" KJV Open Bible from the 1980's (Nelson made them better then) online that I hope to get by next week.  It's leather, sewn, etc.  That's to replace my current Open Bible.

I am still going to buy one of the "higher end" Bibles and am leaning toward the Schulyer Canterbury at this stage (when they release the full size with red letter text(.  I think the personal size's font may be too small to comfortably read, so even if unwieldy, the large size may be the best.  The only other contender against it is something called the KJV "Lion" Bible from a different company.  If they look as good as what they are advertising, it may be a good option.  I'm a little concerned that it's printed in China instead of the Netherlands.
View Quote

I've got a Nelson bound in sealskin.  It's a nice book but the paper is kinda wavy and it may be water damaged.  Or that might just be the way india paper is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Holman Large Print Ultrathin in goatskin. It didn't break the bank, I'm happy with the quality.

Was thinking about a Schuyler, but I'm dead set on center coumn references.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've got a Nelson bound in sealskin.  It's a nice book but the paper is kinda wavy and it may be water damaged.  Or that might just be the way india paper is.
View Quote

@UmbertoFoster

Wow, I've not even seen one offered in Sealskin.  Where did you find that one?  Or was it a heritage Bible from a family member?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:28:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Schuyler Bibles from evangelicalbible.com
Best bible I've ever held with, most importantly, the most pleasant typefont + size and page layout IMO.
We've got 3 of theirs here: 1 Quentel goatskin NASB (not personal size, fullsize is superb unless you simply must have a small frame), 1 Quentel goatskin ESV, and 1 Canterbury cow-over-board KJV (which I like for the design and layout aesthetically, but not for normal use).
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Schuyler Bibles from evangelicalbible.com
Best bible I've ever held with, most importantly, the most pleasant typefont + size and page layout IMO.
We've got 3 of theirs here: 1 Quentel goatskin NASB (not personal size, fullsize is superb unless you simply must have a small frame), 1 Quentel goatskin ESV, and 1 Canterbury cow-over-board KJV (which I like for the design and layout aesthetically, but not for normal use).
View Quote

@Revelation68

Thank you for the suggestion.

I meant to update the post, but I actually pre-ordered a Schuyler about two weeks ago.  I bought a Schuyler Canterbury KJV Red Letter in Marbled Mahogany.  It looked to have everything I wanted in a Bible.  The clincher for me was the great customer service replies to my e-mails; I figured if their CS is that good, then it's probably reflected in their craftsmanship as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Revelation68

Thank you for the suggestion.

I meant to update the post, but I actually pre-ordered a Schuyler about two weeks ago.  I bought a Schuyler Canterbury KJV Red Letter in Marbled Mahogany.  It looked to have everything I wanted in a Bible.  The clincher for me was the great customer service replies to my e-mails; I figured if their CS is that good, then it's probably reflected in their craftsmanship as well.
View Quote

Awesome! Oh yeah, they are great folks up there. You made a great choice!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Those Schuylers look great.  $200 is a lot of scratch but I’m very tempted.  An NASB or NKJV is calling me...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FennRx:
Those Schuylers look great.  $200 is a lot of scratch but I’m very tempted.  An NASB or NKJV is calling me...
View Quote

@FennRx

I definitely feel you on that. I think what made me finally go for getting a premium Bible were these:

(1)  The quality is great.  If you take care of it, it will be an heirloom for your kids

(2)  I've spent more on a part for an AR-15.  That part doesn't have the words of my God or a help for my soul.

A lot of their Bibles (I believe the NASB/NKJV being among them) are on sale now, some are new releases/preorders.

If it's still outside of what you want to spend, Thomas Nelson has put out some really great premium Bibles as well.  They are sold on Amazon, Christianbook.com, and evangelicalbible.com.  Range around $60-80 if you get them on sale and are real leather, high GSM paper, etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheGrayGhost:

@FennRx

I definitely feel you on that. I think what made me finally go for getting a premium Bible were these:

(1)  The quality is great.  If you take care of it, it will be an heirloom for your kids

(2)  I've spent more on a part for an AR-15.  That part doesn't have the words of my God or a help for my soul.

A lot of their Bibles (I believe the NASB/NKJV being among them) are on sale now, some are new releases/preorders.

If it's still outside of what you want to spend, Thomas Nelson has put out some really great premium Bibles as well.  They are sold on Amazon, Christianbook.com, and evangelicalbible.com.  Range around $60-80 if you get them on sale and are real leather, high GSM paper, etc.
View Quote

Those are very good points.  It’s just a mental block about spending that much on a book, even if it is THE Book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top