Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2022 1:41:14 PM EDT
Santa brought my kid a Hiboy electric scooter a few years back.  It's been really impressive compared to what I had as a kid, even including a moped!  Can go 20-25 miles on a charge.  Can go 20mph.  Plus it's super portable and durable.  My kid's nickname is "Captain Destructo" and I'll be damned if any of hi abuse has shown in the body/performance of this scooter.  

What I'd like to get for my wife and I are scooters that are a little faster and/or have better range on them.  Preferably faster though so we can use them to run errands when RVing.  Originally I wanted to just take my klx230 along with us but there seems to be ZERO options for that to work with the RV we're looking at and/or our tow vehicle.  Much easier to buy $500 scooters than $50,000 tow vehicle/RV.  

What are some scooters to look at that are a good mix of:

1.  Speed
2. Range
3. Price
4. Durability/longevity

...in that order?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what model Hi-Boy that your son has, but wife & I have matched pair of Hi-boy Pro's that we use only while RV'ing.
The pro series has a few more features, adjustable rear suspension, very light, more power, etc. Good range but they wont win any speed records though..23-24mph down hill is about max. They are great for hauling stuff (laundry, firewood, mail, snacks from the C-store..lol)

I also have a stripped down over-volted Gt-Sport, I got simply to hot rod. Factory will go 30'ish mph flat out. With the over volt hack and power diverting/chops, I've hit 45'sh with scary accel on the flat...50 on the downhill. DRY weather pavement scoot only! They are built for heavier riders but are actually pretty light. Speed however comes at a cost, which is the actual range they will run. I get about 10 miles, but its a fun 10 miles!
I have scared a few people who do not know that you're coming up on them at 60 feet a second.

Higher speeds will put you into a whole other price range.. about $3k or more for anything with serious power, real suspension, light kits, real cruise control, etc. Segway makes one with bigger tires (11" I think they are) and it will pull 30mph..could be a good match for what you state you want.
It really all depends on how much $$ you want to toss at it.

If I had to do it over again, for wife & I's RV scoots, I'd go with knobby pneumatic tires no matter what. Lots of RV parks are gravel roads, grass/dirt and what not...the hard rubber wheels are great for dry pavement but have zero traction otherwise. Lack of front suspension can really grind ya down on long rides too and actually makes them less safe than F/S ones. JMHO.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Escooter prices have risen a bit in the last year.

$500 won't get you anything faster than your kid's Hiboy. The Hiboy S2 Pro at a little over $500 looks like a decent deal if it meets your needs.

It has a 500w motor and is rated at 19 mph and up to 25 miles of range. At 36.3 lbs. it's still light enough to carry if you need to tote it somewhere.

If you want more speed and range, price and weight will go up significantly.

Try riding your kid's scooter on several 5-10 mile trips to see which features are important to you.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a scooter that does about 35mph. It has full suspension and is fun to drive.  I don't really know the range.  The electronics were pieced together by an idiot - parasitic drain will kill it in a week.  The only way to fix that is to charge it once the low voltage cutoff kicks in - then take the damn thing apart and reset it so it will run again.

I thought I was reading about a good one about to come out - but then saw the customer reviews of it's predecessor.  It was a steaming pile of shit that rarely lasted more than 1 month, and often a bit less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top