Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2021 6:34:56 PM EDT
Hello, my fiance and I decided to get another golden doodle. We found one with "papers" for a really good price and bought it. It is adorable. We are constrained to poodle based breeds because of my horrible dog allergies. I finally took a look at the papers, and noticed that all of this dogs grandparents are poodles, except for one golden doodle. So her mom was 50% golden doodle, 50% poodle, and her dad was 100% poodle. She looks like a goldendoodle, as did the rest of the puppies and her mom.

My question is, 1) what is the percentage of golden retreiver/poodle at which the hybrid characteristics disappear, 2) if we were to breed her in the future, would a 90% poodle be better bred with a golden retriever than a golden doodle? I ask because my fiance has a coworker with a male goldendoodle we could eventually make an arrangement with and 3) are there any good resources that can teach someone who has never owned a puppy in his life how to train a goldendoodle as a hunting dog?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/10/2021 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have horrible dog allergies,  don't get a dog.
View Quote
I've been living allergy free for 6 months with the older Golden doodle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking dog.
We have an F1b.  Mother was a golden doodle and father was full poodle.
She is a great dog.  
Ask around and google search for a trainer in your area.  

Good luck with the new dog.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just get an AKC registered Standard Poodle?
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Our f1b is an awesome dog. A mini.

He has the nice curly hair; we didn’t want one with the straighter hair like you can get with first gen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend has one , says would not get another ,

Get a Carin Terrier or Westie
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
it seems everyone is breeding these cross bred dogs. Yes they are adorable but what does the future hold for dogs that are bred with very little regard towards the genetic pool.

I see some serious problems down the line for these dogs and not just those sold from the puppy mill crowd.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend has one , says would not get another ,

Get a Carin Terrier or Westie
View Quote

Let me add the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier as well as the Bouviers de Flanders, they both have hair and are perfect for folks that suffer from dog allergies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
All of this is terrible breeding from beginning to end.

At that point, just get a purebred poodle and call it good. Doodle mutts aren’t “papered” anyway, at least not through any reputable registry. So if someone’s selling you “papered” doodle mutts, they’re scamming you, plain and simple.

On top of that, breeding is more than just putting two dogs together to make puppies, at least if you’re interested in doing things ethically and responsibly. You start with finding a prospective bitch and establishing if she is breeding quality. Does she look like she’s supposed to look, act how she’s supposed to act, and do what she’s supposed to do, and have you verified this with independent experts? Then, you have her health clearances done. This varies breed to breed, but often includes hip X-rays, elbow X-rays, various genetic tests, cardiac evaluations, and ophthalmic evaluations performed by board certified veterinarians. Then, you establish a goal for breeding. Perhaps improving some aspect of conformation or working ability in the next generation. Then, you find the right stud to help you achieve that goal, and you make sure he has had all the appropriate health testing and independent evaluation Ike you did with your bitch.

Then, once the bitch is pregnant, you provide careful, attentive prenatal care, including imaging to establish how many puppies to expect and establishing an emergency vet to be on call in case the labor stalls or a puppy gets stuck. Learn everything you can about whelping puppies, including how to revive them, suction them, and tube feed them. Learn about fading puppy syndrome, hypoglycemia, and other puppy ailments, and how to recognize and treat them. Be prepared to take a couple weeks off to stay with your bitch after she whelps to help her with puppies, make sure she doesn’t reject them, make sure she’s recovering well, and watch for signs of mastitis.

Once the puppies are born, start Early Neurological Stimulation protocols to ensure you produce the most well-adjusted, mentally sound puppies you can. Then follow that up with early training and socialization to give the pups a great head start. Hopefully, you’ve established a list of prospective owners by this time. Around 7 weeks of age, you should have a Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test done on the litter to help determine which puppies are best suited to which of your potential puppy buyers. For instance, the quiet, shy puppy wouldn’t be the best fit for a family with 6 boisterous, rowdy young children, and the dominant, sharp puppy wouldn’t be the best for a timid first time owner.

Finally, you place the puppies with the understanding and contractual obligation that you will take back any puppy you produce at any stage in its life no matter what.

This helps prevent dogs from getting dumped into shelters and rescues. Every step of the process ensures you produce healthy, mentally and physically sound, well-adjusted and resilient puppies that are matched with appropriate homes, and that last item is the safety net in case a home falls through in spite of all that.

ETA:
Quoted:
I've been living allergy free for 6 months with the older Golden doodle.
View Quote

Because doodle mutts are mutts, there isn’t a lot of consistency from dog to dog. Some will aggravate allergies and others won’t, and there isn’t a good way to predict which will be which. Dog 1 may not, but dog 2 very well could, and puppies would each be a chance. If you want any sort of predictability on the allergy front, you have to stick to purebred dogs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I adopted a golden doodle from a relative that was moving into an apartment.  Great dog, I can see why they are popular.  I wish I had one when I was single.  They are chic magnets.  Having said all that, mine is fixed.  I thought about breeding, knowing the money that could be made.  But I didn't have the knowledge or experience to manage it properly, so off to the vet she went.  I can see how people would be tempted to cut corners to make a buck.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an F1B

Doodle Mom
Poodle Dad

He is great. I have to wonder how my GR is left in OP’s pup. One thing that doodle owners look for is the GR temperament. Poodles are a little more aggressive than people want which why they got GR mixed.

Attachment Attached File

Finley says hi, and he loves his daddy.

I know our resident expert disagrees with me but pure bred dogs aren’t all that.

Both Goldens I had died of cancer, it’s common in the breed.

Pure bred dogs came about through breeding genetic relatives.   This can lead to issues in dogs just like humans.

Mutts are unknown in many respects but they aren’t brother and sister if one a full standard poodle and the other is a doodle from a different breeder.

OP enjoy your pup. It will stop biting and playing rough eventually.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know our resident expert disagrees with me but pure bred dogs aren’t all that.

Both Goldens I had died of cancer, it’s common in the breed.

Pure bred dogs came about through breeding genetic relatives.   This can lead to issues in dogs just like humans.

Mutts are unknown in many respects but they aren’t brother and sister if one a full standard poodle and the other is a doodle from a different breeder.
View Quote

Thing is, I’m not actually against ethical, responsible mixing of breeds. If the breeders set a definable goal, bred away from the original cross to cement a breed type and then worked on achieving outstanding specimens of that type, screened all breeding stock for hereditary diseases and defects, carefully researched pedigrees, sought out excellent foundation stock, and tested for temperament and working ability, that’s a wonderful way to establish a new breed.

But without that, they’re just willy nilly creating more mutts. Mutts with inherent unpredictability and all the potential health problems found in both the parent breeds. For instance, Dog A is a doodle mutt from breeder A. Dog B is a doodle mutt from breeder B. Breeder A used a poodle stud that is factored for SA and has mild hip dysplasia. Dog A inherits the factor for SA and mild HD. Breeder A also used a  Golden bitch that later on develops hemangiosarcoma. Dog A also inherits that gene. Breeder A screens for none of these things. Breeder B uses a poodle bitch factored for SA and autoimmune thyroiditis. Dog B inherits both these factors. Breeder B also uses a Golden stud with severe hip dysplasia. Dog B inherits this too.

Breeder C pairs Dog A and Dog B, producing puppies with hip dysplasia and SA who also potentially carry the genetics for cancer and autoimmune thyroiditis. In spite of Dog A and Dog B being unrelated, they both had genetic issues that were inherited, in common, and perpetuated in their offspring. If a breeder isn’t checking for those things, no matter how much the dogs “aren’t purebred”, problems can still be inherited and passed down, and they become common within the new “breed”.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an F1B

Doodle Mom
Poodle Dad

He is great. I have to wonder how my GR is left in OP's pup. One thing that doodle owners look for is the GR temperament. Poodles are a little more aggressive than people want which why they got GR mixed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/255381/A8D40617-700F-4870-AF5F-56BFC41EA62A_jpe-2100742.JPG

Finley says hi, and he loves his daddy.

I know our resident expert disagrees with me but pure bred dogs aren't all that.

Both Goldens I had died of cancer, it's common in the breed.

Mutts are unknown in many respects but they aren't brother and sister if one a full standard poodle and the other is a doodle from a different breeder.

OP enjoy your pup. It will stop biting and playing rough eventually.
View Quote
So far the new puppy is a little more clingy and stubborn than the older 50/50 golden doodle. Training is going slower than for the other one, but is nonetheless steadily progressing. Overall I'm quite happy!

She is now about 12 weeks old and half the weight of the other golden doodle, so I think she's going to be a BIG dog.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top