Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2021 9:39:38 PM EDT
I’m looking to put around 10k into something that could fit into my pocket in a SHTF, blindsided by divorce, ect type situation. I’ve bought and sold plenty of silver over the years so my first thought was precious metals. Obviously silver doesn’t have the value by weight to work for what I want. I was looking at gold bullion coins and platinum caught my eye. I never really paid attention to it but I recalled it previously trading for more than gold (10+ years ago).  Had to double check the charts to verify. Wondering what the hive’s opinion is, I think either would suit my purpose so it’d really come down to which would do better over time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Why go all in one way or the other? Diversify
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why go all in one way or the other? Diversify
View Quote

Lol I thought about posting in GD but I knew they’d say buy both.  
Honestly that might be the right move though, the gold : platinum ratio (and its historical movement) makes me lean toward platinum. Gold however would probably be easier to sell and in a SHTF situation platinum’s value might not hold up due to its industrial demand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You just lived through one of the closest instances of SHTF you’ll ever experience in your lifetime, and think a piece of metal is what’s best.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
In a SHTF situation you need a commodity that is highly liquid, and can be traded for things you need.  If we exclude bulky barter items like food, ammo and fuel, that leaves cash.  It has no intrinsic value, but is more likely to be accepted by others than precious metals.  If you insist on using PM, then gold is more recognizable than platinum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys are falling into the trap that “SHTF” automatically means a Mad Max type societal collapse. I can think of multiple scenarios where assets could be frozen or seized and it would be nice to be able to walk into a coin or pawn shop and walk out with cash.  I’ve personally known a couple guys who have been temporarily financially crippled by the government / courts and I cringe at the thought of finding myself in that situation.  In this place it’s easy to think any storm can be weathered with ammo forts and cases of mountain house but that isn’t always the case. Keep in mind that SHTF is a generic concept, it can be global, personal or anything in between.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Silver...

SHTF... "I need a tank of gasoline and some groceries for a week."

"OK... what do you got?"

"Some 1 oz gold coins."

"OK 20 gallons, 7 cans of spam, 2 gallons of water and 5 pounds of rice!"
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys are falling into the trap that “SHTF” automatically means a Mad Max type societal collapse. I can think of multiple scenarios where assets could be frozen or seized and it would be nice to be able to walk into a coin or pawn shop and walk out with cash.  I’ve personally known a couple guys who have been temporarily financially crippled by the government / courts and I cringe at the thought of finding myself in that situation.  In this place it’s easy to think any storm can be weathered with ammo forts and cases of mountain house but that isn’t always the case. Keep in mind that SHTF is a generic concept, it can be global, personal or anything in between.
View Quote

I don’t think it’s a trap, just highly unlikely. Don’t know of a single person that had their assets seized, even due to nefarious activities.

In the worst of times, all I need is food and toilet paper. The rest is plentiful and free.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don’t think it’s a trap, just highly unlikely. Don’t know of a single person that had their assets seized, even due to nefarious activities.

In the worst of times, all I need is food and toilet paper. The rest is plentiful and free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not that common but on occasion nations do go through financial crisis. The most recent being Greece that raided their citizens accounts and restricted bank access, taxed assets, and limited cash withdrawals. In this case holding gold would have preserved wealth.
https://tax-free.today/blog/4-lessons-greek-crisis-protect-savings/

There are literally countless stories of families fleeing nazi and communist oppression in the 20th century, making it to a free nation with nothing more that the clothes on their back and a few coins and jewelry.

Gold is an insurance policy against the unknown. It should never make up the majority of your savings/retirement funds, stocks have outperformed gold historically.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been thinking about this also. I have the option to leave the US if things ever go full on communist. I doubt I would but I have that option. I was thinking how would I carry enough money to start a new life without it getting confiscated. I think gold and crypto in cold storage might be good options. Silver isn't an option. More important would be moving the money before it's too late. Gold coins that have a dollar face value seem like a good option since you only need to declare over 10k in cash. 20 or 30 $20 AGEs would be a lot of money but under the amount you need to declare. Unless there's a rule on those I'm not aware of. I know I can trade gold for cash there since I've traded gold coins there before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have the means why not plan for financial disaster.

Being well off and willing to dump some cash into what ifs I certainly have.

A few gold coins here and there.  I like looking at them, I like owning them,  I can easily pass them on and will provide the means to aquire the basics practacly 99.99 % of the time in whatever scenarios you can think of.

I would never dump all my money into precious metals that would be foolish .  The same goes for guns ammo crypto currencies shtf transport or land.  Yes I own all these things in some varying amount but it is always wise not to go to far down the rabbit hole and invest everything in one thing or another.

The other thing to think about in shtf scenarios is adaptability.  People that survived the bad times did so not because they hoarded the perfect thing for that scenario but because they were willing to dump everything in their lives except for those 1 or 2 items that would help them Survive in that time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are literally countless stories of families fleeing nazi and communist oppression in the 20th century, making it to a free nation with nothing more that the clothes on their back and a few coins and jewelry.

Gold is an insurance policy against the unknown. It should never make up the majority of your savings/retirement funds, stocks have outperformed gold historically.

View Quote

This is pretty much what I had in mind at one extreme of the spectrum.  This is not an investment, it is an insurance policy. Not the insurance  policy, but one of many.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Crypto.

IIRC, that was the recommendation of one of the folks who's actually lived through a national collapse. He said it was easiest form to use to flee a country with, if S really HTF (as opposed to potentially being robbed of your stuff).

Alternatively, diamonds. If it's not safe, you may have to essen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
$50 face value of pre 64 silver coinage is worth about a grand. That's only five rolls of quarters. Not the lightest or the smallest package but it's smaller denominations might be helpful. That and a few gold coins could take you a long ways. A thumb drive with a bitcoin wallet is really easy to carry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I see a couple SHTF scenarios in the comments.

If SHTF is a divorce, and you want to literally drop $10k into a pocket and walk off, I'd say gold.

If SHTF is some catastrophic collapse of society but metals have value, I'd rather have silver dimes in my pocket than an ounce of gold.  How much is that bread?  I wouldn't expect everyone could or would make change for a piece of gold.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I've decided to put a little money into physical gold.  What and where is the best way to aquire it?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've decided to put a little money into physical gold.  What and where is the best way to aquire it?
View Quote

i like provident metals but there are plenty of places to go.  APMEX is a good site both are easy to order from and the stuff comes well packaged

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
   A thumb drive with a bitcoin wallet is really easy to carry.  
View Quote

True, but not as easy to carry as a piece of paper printed with QR code of a bitcoin private key.

Or, to be more durable, a piece of thin metal stamped with the private code.

Or, a brainwallet, an easily remembered phrase which through electronic magic can be reconstituted into a bitcoin private key.

No need to rely upon an electronic device which can easily fail.  Though that is indeed a convenient way to carry.

One could even take a hint from the dancers in modern gentlemen's clubs, and have the QR code tattooed on their body, (for this purpose, discreetly).
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i like provident metals but there are plenty of places to go.  APMEX is a good site both are easy to order from and the stuff comes well packaged

View Quote

Thanks, I’ll check those out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If SHTF is a divorce, and you want to literally drop $10k into a pocket and walk off, I'd say gold.
View Quote

Ive known a few guys who got cleaned out by a divorce. Lawyers took most of it and what was left was divided 50/50 with their wife. They all ended up moving back in with family while their spouse continued to live in the home they were paying for. A pocket full of gold can help cover basic bills while your bank accounts are on lock down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ive known a few guys who got cleaned out by a divorce. Lawyers took most of it and what was left was divided 50/50 with their wife. They all ended up moving back in with family while their spouse continued to live in the home they were paying for. A pocket full of gold can help cover basic bills while your bank accounts are on lock down.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly and one of the main purposes of this post
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Gold is the only untraceable currency in the world. It’s been valuable for 1000s of years and it is very rare.
Yes own it!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Local coin shop. Typically cheaper than online especially right now and untraceable. Best to buy gold Eagles or Buffaloes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
5 or 6 1 ounce gold coins take up almost zero space. Also look in palladium.

Keep in mind a real SHTF may drive down the price of metals. A radically contracted economy = less demand, more supply.

As others said, silver can be very useful for face-to-face transactions. Crypto seems especially useful if you are going to be crossing a border.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are now some advisors which recommend to men: don't get married until you have $20,000 in gold coins cached. If you never need them you can always give them to your grandkids.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are now some advisors which recommend to men: don't get married until you have $20,000 in gold coins cached. If you never need them you can always give them to your grandkids.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Proof that anyone can have an opinion. Doesn't mean it's wise advice.

If you want to buy gold or platinum,  i think its fine as a hobby.  Id like to buy some silver. I don't consider it an investment or inflation hedge.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 11:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit this is the third time I’ve answered this question
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cant say ive ever heard a financial advisor say that but seems like solid advice, maybe adjust the amount based on your age. A young man just out of college getting married wont be in a position to set aside $20k in gold, maybe someone at 30 could and by 40 you might want a larger amount.

My other pieces of advice for men looking to get married is take control of your finances. Make sure you have login info for ALL bank accounts and offer to prepare the taxes, i know its boring but you need to know where your hard earned money is going. And just assuming your wife has it under control is a recipe for for financial disaster, especially stay at home wifes who dont understand the value of a dollar and use shopping as an excuse to get out of the house. She can spend a whole days earning at Target in 30 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I dig silver. I'm to poor for gold yet, but I'd like to get a few coins one day. That said, I was at the local gun store, and they had a Korth with a $7k price tag. Sounds like you need a back up gun worth it's weight in gold... haha.

In all honesty, I'd love to hear more about platinum and palladium. But it seems these are a little few and far between. I'm not sure who buy's them at the prices asked, but I suspect they are less liquid than gold.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#29]
When traveling through " developing" countries  I often carried small gold rings or necklaces. Very easy to trade for commodities in small shops as there normally mom and pop type shops and making Mama happy is literally worth it's weight in gold.They also don't attract the attention of officials like a coin or bullion would and, at least at the time, could be purchased at a pawn shop by weight. No spot price.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My vote is for silver and gold. Platinum and Rhodium are not heavily manipulated by the futures market like gold and silver. I believe this gives gold and silver greater upside potential. Look at the buying spree going on with silver right now. Physical demand is off the charts. It might finally catch up to the shorts and banks. Maybe not.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Stick with gold and silver.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Stick with gold and silver.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that is truly what you want then buy a Rolex, like the stainless steel Submariner. Walk in to any jewelry shop and you can more than likely get the cash from your wrist in minutes. Just keep the box and papers in a safe/dry place. You can enjoy it on your wrist in the meantime. And in most all circumstances they have increased in value over time as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Different weight/denominations of popular (Eagle, Krugerrand, Maple, etc.) gold coins and a few Rolex watches. Assuming you need something portable and recognizable. Property and a bank account in a country that is unlikely to be involved in a war with the US.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top