Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold
View Quote

How will crypto function after an EMP?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thought I’d add this since I haven’t seen it mentioned yet:

Corn is up over a $1.50 in the past few months (that’s a big move).

So are wheat, soybeans, and sunflowers.  These markets have been stagnant for almost 6 years.  

So people are definitely putting money into physical assets.  Just not gold apparently.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Could you explain on a 5th grader level?
View Quote

@Regency

Some things like savings accounts, money market accounts, Certificate of Deposits, etc are time deposits. There are usually restrictions on withdrawals.

Your checking account however is a on-demand deposit. The bank has to have that cash available for you.

M1 and M2 are different measures of currency and credit in circulation. M1 is a component of M2. So M1 + others = M2.

If checking accounts are part if M1 and CDs are part of other, money is moving from other to M1.

It's like 4 + 4 = 8 going to 7 + 1 = 8. 8 being M2. It's shuffling the numbers around.

You would move money from time deposits to on-demand deposits if you are worried you won't get your money back. In 2008 we were hours away from money markets freezing. If that happened, who knows if or when you would get your money.

Is the Spike in M1 a Harbinger?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What if we were going to have hyper inflation, but the COVID lockdowns were too successful and created deflation by happenstance. Temporary deflation before hyperinflation?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
While the money supply has grown, the velocity of money has dropped, significantly offsetting the inflationary potential.

To put it in perspective, $100 changing hands 10 times in ten days is much the same as $10 changing hands 100 times in the same timeframe.

This idea is also why inflation can go exponential so easily once it is out of control. When people start changing their spending habits for inflation, they stop holding onto cash. This increases the velocity of money, which makes the effective circulating supply larger because the same money changes hands so quickly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a grand of AMC yesterday. It was at like 4 and change so I knew worst case scenario it wasn't going to move much.

It's up 70% since I purchase it

Buy meme stocks
View Quote

I bought it at close today and I'm up 65% lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wouldn't buy it.  What good is it?  It's a hunk of metal with literally no use.
View Quote

Oh come on now, you would rather have $20,000 in paper money than my little tin box?

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh come on now, you would rather have $20,000 in paper money than my little tin box?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335547/DB8490FC-D9E1-4B7A-B8CA-6E5282C381D5-1798354.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't buy it.  What good is it?  It's a hunk of metal with literally no use.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335547/DB8490FC-D9E1-4B7A-B8CA-6E5282C381D5-1798354.jpg

No. But I believe there's better places to park the $20k.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would much rather have $20k in a well diversified portfolio than shiny yellow metal coins that no one will take in exchange for anything I actually want.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Get junk silver dimes - in a pinch you can load them into 12 guage shotshells and use them on Werewolves and Vampires.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because people realize shiny trinkets won't do shit for you if the dollar really collapses.
View Quote

Exactly this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would much rather have $20k in a well diversified portfolio than shiny yellow metal coins that no one will take in exchange for anything I actually want.
View Quote

Why can't you do both? Isn't this ARFCOM?

Gold isn't an investment. Its a protection of your wealth for when/if things go tits up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Central banks manipulating the exchange rate.
The financial sector not realizing paper = Monopoly money.
Idiot speculators in crypto who don’t realize it isn’t money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

At least gold can be a physical asset. Worst comes to worse I can beat someone over the head with a brick of it.

Can't say the same about some zeros and ones
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

At least gold can be a physical asset. Worst comes to worse I can beat someone over the head with a brick of it.

Can't say the same about some zeros and ones

The same could be said for your 401k, stocks etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What if we were going to have hyper inflation, but the COVID lockdowns were too successful and created deflation by happenstance. Temporary deflation before hyperinflation?
View Quote

From what I understand there always is "deflation before hyperinflation" but like you said it's temporary and short lived. I think it has something to do with the human mind, it's the process we go though as we lose faith in the currency. Part of what you see with Price Of Gold is gold is normally sold off to cover debits or margin calls and it's the price of fake paper gold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The very same people that are saying gold and silver are worthless are the very same people that can't buy squat when the computers crash and their debit cards don't work. Because they also say carrying cash is stupid also.

Trust me I've seen this happen first hand. Here in Florida after hurricanes and phone lines and power are out. Cell phones don't work too sometimes in certain areas.

No cash your screwed. To say the samething about a currency that's been used throughout known history.

Well OK then.

People flip out when everything stops working. I saw a few become violent because they could not buy food, water or gas because plastic does not work.

Gold, silver and even cash does work. In the real world. Especially during emergencies. I'd take gold and silver in a heart beat as a currency as do some other places will. Privately own of coarse. Wal-Mart won't even take cash when power goes out to be fair. LOL by ma and pop stores will.

I do not buy gold or silver as an investment. I invest other ways. I do buy gold and silver though. As a physical asset
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally, I feel gold is artificially propped up! Gold is found somewhere between 5x to 8x more than silver and silver has become the go to electrical conductor.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Crypto has been going down too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Crypto has been going down too.

It's all in gamestop calls.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
People are ditching gold for more tangible items like B,B,&B.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a grand of AMC yesterday. It was at like 4 and change so I knew worst case scenario it wasn't going to move much.

It's up 70% since I purchase it

Buy meme stocks

I bought AMC at $2.17.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, gold is the boomers folly. What can you buy with bar of gold exactly?

My friend bought a house and car with bitcoin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Therin lies the problem.  Sure, it has "value"... but how would one exactly use it in a transaction nowadays?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Therin lies the problem.  Sure, it has "value"... but how would one exactly use it in a transaction nowadays?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

It sucks. And converting to spot also sucks. My .02.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd rather have the $20000 in cash.  I'd have to sell the gold to get the cash to use for shit I actually need/want. If the dollar reaches the point that people won't accept it, they sure as fuck aren't going to want gold either.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#26]
People are realizing brass and lead are better commodities for the coming future.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would rather have lambos on the moon and you dont get there with gold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Aren’t we almost there, for 9mm and 5.56/.223?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In SHTF, if someone came to me asking to trade his gold for my ammo, gasoline, whatever, I say sure.  I will give you a box of 9mm or 5 gals. of gas for your Krugerrand..

Aren’t we almost there, for 9mm and 5.56/.223?

Lol. In a true scenario like that you will still have all your stuff PLUS his gold.

For SHTF Gold and metals are as worthless as dirt.

Ammo, guns, food, shelter.

Lib neighbors not “gun people”.....now you have their supplies.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Once upon a time, horse and buggy were our main mode of transportation. Then came a little thing called the "automobile". Eventually, there's a better way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Lol. You are comparing something with absolutely zero intrinsic value to something that has been valued as long as humans can remember.

Once upon a time, horse and buggy were our main mode of transportation. Then came a little thing called the "automobile". Eventually, there's a better way.

When electronics and jewelry go the way of the horse and buggy you can say “I told you so” until then gold has a lot of utility outside of being used as a currency.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Gold isn't an investment. Its a protection of your wealth for when/if things go tits up.
View Quote

Like I said, that Krug you paid $1200 for I will take for a box of my 9mm or you can go pound sand.  If you don't buy it, I will sell the 9mm to some slouch who will use it to take your Krug and everything else you own.  How is that protection for wealth?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#31]

This is funny because it's true.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#32]
OP is a fuckin dummie!

Gold has been aprox the same price for some time! WTF are you breaking down about?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because I can use that paper for any purchase I'd need to make walking out the door tomorrow.

Not to mention if the dollar crashes, there's no guarantee that your 20k of shiny bits could buy a loaf of bread either.  It ain't like the local grocery store clerk has a usd/au ratio print out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People are realizing brass and lead are better commodities for the coming future.
View Quote

Don't forget copper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When electronics and jewelry go the way of the horse and buggy you can say “I told you so” until then gold has a lot of utility outside of being used as a currency.
View Quote

What was is it used for in a pre industrial world?

Price of a well made suit! Gold has always been sought after because its shiny and doesnt oxidize.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'd rather have the $20000 in cash.  I'd have to sell the gold to get the cash to use for shit I actually need/want. If the dollar reaches the point that people won't accept it, they sure as fuck aren't going to want gold either.
View Quote

Dude I don't know about that..... I think the SAS still issues sovereigns to troops going into high risk locations. EVERYONE takes gold when things are shitty.... Brits have been doing it for over a hundred years. And I have a personal story about seeing gold used as currency in a dicey situation, working in spite of language barrier, and not much trust, but gold made the deal work. So it works in 3rd world crap holes in times of war.... and your saying you don't think it will work hear??? I think people hear might actually know less, but I think they will learn QUICK if there's trouble with the US dollar.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 3 inch by 3 inch box has $20,000 in it. It’s not that much of a liability, it’s a 3 inch tin box.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335547/D706B98C-51D3-4E22-87D4-851BFCF859A7-1798279.jpg

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aww the semi precious metals. A joke I have heard a few times, if you have Au or Ag, you really should also be stocking some OS. OS???? Ordinance and Steel. I always laugh when I hear someone say OS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the problem, wealth only means something if you can actually use it.

If you can’t convince your local warlord to part with a rusted can of spaghetti-os because he has no use for a gold coin, what good is it?

It doesn't protect wealth if it isn't easily bartered.  And even if you could convince someone to trade, that 1k in gold could get you a skunked six pack of natty lite and a stale twinkie.  

Gold is worthwhile in a stable economy with the means to utilize it.  In a collapsed state?  It's likely it  won't protect shit imho.   Maybe after a societal rebuild, I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The price of gold isn’t real gold, it’s paper gold. So easily manipulated.
View Quote

What are you talking about, i can go down town and buy ounces of silver and or gold any day.
I live in a small remote town, it gets easier in a city.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crypto is the new gold

Lol. You are comparing something with absolutely zero intrinsic value to something that has been valued as long as humans can remember.

I didn't say gold didn't have utility uses to retain some value. My simile with the horse is gold just isn't a very good or practical store of wealth today so expecting some astronomical gold price simply given the world's state of affairs of money printing is likely folly by OP.  People still use horses for a multitude of purposes, but the automobile is still a better means of transportation and most people don't find horses all that useful today or even own them at all. Same will happen with gold in that it will continue having industrial use and value, but as a store of wealth it isn't that great and something will eventually take its place with better liquidity, function, and acceptance as we move further into the digital age.

Gold will go up long-term, just don't expect it to wow you like other opportunities. It isn't a matter of "told you so". It's a matter of "where are we headed? and "what makes sense when we get there?"

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Gold is a fear trade. The economy is doing well so people are moving back into stocks. Now is the time to buy gold
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Gone up 800 an ounce since I bought a little.  Nothing I have ever bought has gone up as much except HK P7. Banks are sure a hole to put money in. I was making 8 times the interest in 2011 that I am making in 2021.
The stock market is being manipulated beyond any logical theories in any books
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How will crypto function after an EMP?
View Quote

You mean when your iPhone battery is dead.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Gold is artificially suppressed to make dollars look like they have value.

Per the debt clock gold is $34,461 an oz and silver is $186.40 an oz.  https://usdebtclock.org/

Be grateful that metals are manipulated down as it is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ha! That’s why I have fool proof digital crypto currency!
View Quote

Right up until a CME or EMP.......lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You mean when your iPhone battery is dead.
View Quote

I love how gold will be the means of barter, but before we make this transaction let me break out my acid scale and graduated cylinder to make sure its not fake. Which reminds me I should buy some to the Chinese tungsten filled coins for my preps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#48]
It's almost like gold has no intrinsic value and its price is as arbitrary as anything else that only has value because people believe it does.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! That’s why I have fool proof digital crypto currency!

So the argument against crypto is always because an EMP may occur wiping out the grid?

Going to worry about a lot more shit first than how much gold I have stacked at that point. Fucking world will go 180 and upside down from what we know anyhow then.

Humans will do everything in their power and in short order to get that grid working again. BTC will still be there and if an EMP wipes me here I just leave here for somewhere unaffected to regain access. Or is it a global EMP ushering in the next Dark Ages?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's almost like gold has no intrinsic value and its price is as arbitrary as anything else that only has value because people believe it does.
View Quote

Like, say...a dollar?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top