Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/9/2024 8:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR]
Cliff's notes: Glock specialty store accepted job to install a third party front sight on a non-Glock pistol, ended up breaking the sight during the attempt, and then said to take it up with the manufacturer.

Long version:

Approximately 18 months ago, I had Ted's Shooting Range in Queen Creek install a set of Night Fision night sights on my HK VP9 handgun. Recently I noticed that the front sight had drifted left and that's when I discovered I could push it out by hand with a little bit of force. I concluded that Ted's had likely removed too much material on the base of the sight and the only long-term fix was to replace it with a new front sight. I contacted Night Fision and they extended me a 15% discount towards a replacement front sight. I ordered the same sight with a different colored ring and planned to take it elsewhere to have it installed.

After receiving my new Night Fision sight, I called the Glockmeister Mesa store today at 2:45 pm AZ time and spoke with Jacob. I explained my dilemma and confirmed he could handle installing the new sight and would be able to get the job done this afternoon while I wait. I arrived at the store around 3:30 pm AZ time. During the install, I heard roughly 15 smacks of a hammer. Jacob walked out a short time later and sheepishly explained that the sight snapped during the installation process. He said that's never happened before and claimed that he had barely applied any force. He pointed out that he has a degree in gunsmithing and he blamed it on a manufacturer defect and suggested I take it up with Night Fision. Jacob cleaned up my slide and reinstalled the original front sight by hand and I left.

Upon further inspection of the broken sight at home, I see that the entire front sight is pretty beat up. So even if it had not broken into two pieces and had Jacob been successful with the installation, the sight was severely marred in multiple places. I called the Glockmeister Phoenix store and explained what happened--hoping to speak to the owner. I was essentially told to take it up with Night Fision and that because it was not a Glock and the fact that they had not sold me the sights, they were absolved of any responsibility. That's like a TOYOTA dealership taking a customer's Honda in for service, breaking something, and then shrugging their shoulders and saying it's the customer's fault because they chose to get a non-TOYOTA vehicle serviced at a TOYOTA dealership. That wouldn't fly and this shouldn't either.

At the end of the day, I'm out $45.80 for a front sight and my problem with a loose existing sight isn't solved. I've since sent the above summary to both Glockmeister and Night Fision via email--along with the below pics.

What are your thoughts? Who's responsible here? I feel like Glockmeister owns this.

Update 7/10/2024 9:02 am AZ time

A rep from Night Fision sent me the following email just now. This was completely unexpected but totally representative of a standup company. Please factor this in when forming an opinion about Night Fision.

Update 7/11/2024 11:32 am AZ time

Glockmeister's first response to my initial email. Also worth noting, I had called the Phoenix store yesterday afternoon asking to speak to the owner; was told he was out and the person took my information down and the nature of my concern.

Update 7/17/2024 1:42 pm AZ time

Replacement front sight arrived from Night Fision. I called Ted's Shooting Range and without mentioning anything about the Glockmeister saga, I simply explained that Ted's had installed my Night Fision front sight about 12 mos ago and I recently discovered it had too much material taken off the sight during the install. RJ offered to have me come in and he took care of it free of charge and gave me two free 1-hour passes for the shooting range for my trouble. Worth noting that the installation was clean and both my slide and the front sight were free of any signs of wear or damage. This is how it's done folks.

The winners in all this: Night Fision and Ted's Shooting Range
The losers in all this: Jacob and Glockmeister

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Kick their asses?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like cast pot metal
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#3]
Isn’t it more like buying your own parts, taking them and your Honda to a Toyota dealership and receiving an unsatisfactory repair?

Sounds like what I would expect to happen. Glocks are legos, he had no intention of actually fitting a front sight.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
They should invest in a pusher tool vs beating the hell out of it with a punch.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry] [#5]
A Chineseium sight pusher off amazon is only $40-50.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Glockmeister is still a thing?

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
is he the one with testosterone supplements and from the 80's? Lenny?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By feetpiece:

View Quote

There's one on Cave Creek in Phoenix. I bet you could buy drugs nearby quite easily after sunset.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
i never heard of anyone that couldn't put in their own front sight, so I guess its your fault.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Move on- source a new sight and find a gunsmith.
But badmouth them whenever you get the chance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Cliff's notes: Glock specialty store accepted job to install a third party front sight on a non-Glock pistol, ended up breaking the sight during the attempt, and then said to take it up with the manufacturer.

Long version:

Approximately 18 months ago, I had Ted's Shooting Range in Queen Creek install a set of Night Fision night sights on my HK VP9 handgun. Recently I noticed that the front sight had drifted left and that's when I discovered I could push it out by hand with a little bit of force. I concluded that Ted's had likely removed too much material on the base of the sight and the only long-term fix was to replace it with a new front sight. I contacted Night Fision and they extended me a 15% discount towards a replacement front sight. I ordered the same sight with a different colored ring and planned to take it elsewhere to have it installed.

After receiving my new Night Fision sight, I called the Glockmeister Mesa store today at 2:45 pm AZ time and spoke with Jacob. I explained my dilemma and confirmed he could handle installing the new sight and would be able to get the job done this afternoon while I wait. I arrived at the store around 3:30 pm AZ time. During the install, I heard roughly 15 smacks of a hammer. Jacob walked out a short time later and sheepishly explained that the sight snapped during the installation process. He said that's never happened before and claimed that he had barely applied any force. He pointed out that he has a degree in gunsmithing and he blamed it on a manufacturer defect and suggested I take it up with Night Fision. Jacob cleaned up my slide and reinstalled the original front sight by hand and I left.

Upon further inspection of the broken sight at home, I see that the entire front sight is pretty beat up. So even if it had not broken into two pieces and had Jacob been successful with the installation, the sight was severely marred in multiple places. I called the Glockmeister Phoenix store and explained what happened--hoping to speak to the owner. I was essentially told to take it up with Night Fision and that because it was not a Glock and the fact that they had not sold me the sights, they were absolved of any responsibility. That's like a TOYOTA dealership taking a customer's Honda in for service, breaking something, and then shrugging their shoulders and saying it's the customer's fault because they chose to get a non-TOYOTA vehicle serviced at a TOYOTA dealership. That wouldn't fly and this shouldn't either.

At the end of the day, I'm out $45.80 for a front sight and my problem with a loose existing sight isn't solved. I've since sent the above summary to both Glockmeister and Night Fision via email--along with the below pics.

What are your thoughts? Who's responsible here? I feel like Glockmeister owns this.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53845858452_a860f13019_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53845858417_76cc19506d_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53845858427_e0d8f363a2_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53846745871_e0ccd5842b_c.jpg
View Quote
If Glockmeister isn’t okay with working on HKs, they probably shouldn’t sell any of them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

There's one on Cave Creek in Phoenix. I bet you could buy drugs nearby quite easily after sunset.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I must have had a brain fart because I thought they evolved into Zev. I remember ordering stuff from them in the early 00's.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a set of Night Fission sights for my Springfield Xd. The directions clearly stated to use a pusher, not a punch. Lucky for me, local shop I’ve done mucho business with had one, and installed them for free.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
A Chineseium sight pusher off amazon is only $40-50.
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 346ci:
They OP should invest in a pusher tool vs beating the hell out of it with a punch paying someone to do what he could easily do at home.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
You bought an HK. Now buy a sight pusher and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell those idiots they owe you a new front sight.  They should have used a pusher tool, not a hammer and punch.  Basically the punch slipped, and he smacked the upright portion, which is not designed for that to begin with, and is kind of weak due to having a hole drilled thru it for the tritium vial.

Loose front sight can be remedied by some red loctite or peening down the dovetail to tighten it up (only if you really have to).

Buy yourself a generic sight pusher tool that can do front and rear dovetail type sight adjusting, you need one anyhow to zero the sights…
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cedjunior:
Looks like cast pot metal
View Quote

This.   Sight pusher is so cheap and easy to use, no reason to hear any hammering.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Why didn't you go back to Teds and have them tighten up the existing sight that came loose?

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]
This is why I hate people. I will buy a tool, and do it myself. Even if I don't have the experience, I will have, when it's done. I bought a good pusher tool for my P220, and did it myself. This is a gun that I bought new in 1995, so I don't need someone else dicking it up for me.

Yes, I believe they are responsible.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

The OG Glockmeister installed night sights on my G23, 27 years ago...at his house in Chandler.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HDLS:

FIFY
View All Quotes
They OP should invest in a pusher tool vs beating the hell out of it with a punch paying someone to do what he could easily do at home.

FIFY

This is where I am now. I've become more capable over the years, and more confident in trying new things. In the same time, it seems "professionals" have become less competent.

Cars, guns, mowers, ATVs, and so on - I just try it myself. Any more, I can buy a specialty tool, two parts (cuz I fucked one up doing it wrong), and still end up spending less than if I'd paid someone else.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#24]
Originally Posted By maxima2:
Why didn't you go back to Teds and have them tighten up the existing sight that came loose?

View Quote

@maxima2, at best I would've gotten a waived installation fee; at worst, I would've gotten another sight install with too much material removed. I thought going elsewhere would be better. In hindsight, at least Ted's used a sight pusher tool instead of beating on it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#25]
Yesh, you have to hit the dovetail portion, not the blade, they fucked up royally, that is amateur shit.

This is why sight pushers aren’t a terrible idea, even if they take more time, but definitely on a trit or fiber fs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#27]
A friggin hammer?  Don't they have a sight pusher?  Even I have one of those.

ETA: Glocksheister owns that.  Did they ding up your slide too?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Every sight I broke during installation, I replaced.
That's part of the amortized price of sight installation charges.
Nothing burger unless he makes a mess of it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#29]
All other comments aside. They broke your sight, they should be responsible for at least getting you a replacement.
Any "gunsmith" who pounds on a front sight with a punch and a hammer and doesn't use a sight pusher shouldn't be installing sights.
Looks like he was hitting the base of the sight and missed a swing, hit the part that holds the tritium vial and broke it off.
Either way, your sight was going to be marred because the guy was installing it incorrectly.
Reminds me of a gorilla who can't get the circle block in a square hole so it starts to try and just smash it through.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Hammering a sight in? Sounds like something I would do.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
A friggin hammer?  Don't they have a sight pusher?  Even I have one of those.

ETA: Glocksheister owns that.  Did they ding up your slide too?
View Quote

@Lou_Daks, at first I thought he had but it was apparently brass that had transferred onto the right side of my slide. He said he slipped. He was able to clean it off and it was fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lockstep] [#32]
What's really sad is the art of fitting parts seems to be lost.

Nothing a file, brass punch, prick punch and loctite couldn't have solved in 8.7 minutes.

You guys fail shop class?

The obviously filed down 1st sight should be a clue that the replacement would probably be tight fit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

@Lou_Daks, at first I thought he had but it was apparently brass that had transferred onto the right side of my slide. He said he slipped. He was able to clean it off and it was fine.
View Quote

Lucky.gif
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Night Fision is a good company.  I wouldn't be surprised if they help you out...BUT that fucking shop is a bunch of dumbasses and owns this 100%.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
I did my own VP9 dawson sights with their aluminum punch instead of a sight pusher.  Easy peasy.

If a shop screwed that up I'd probably ask not to be charged for the labor and walk away with a $50 lesson to never use then again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#36]
TBH, I don't use a pusher tool.
Was trained by an old school master Smith.
Skill with fitting and punches isn't automatically bad.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, send them the link to this thread.  Maybe they will make it right.  If not, they are gonna lose some potential business.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

and hookers
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't trust a Glock store which normally works on stupid simple pistols to fix a more complicated machine.

Take it to a shop that specializes in them or find a CBP friend who has a CBP armorer close by.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I hear if sack up and fix your own shit whether it's cars, houses, boats, or guns you get a lot better results.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
Night Fision is a good company.  I wouldn't be surprised if they help you out...BUT that fucking shop is a bunch of dumbasses and owns this 100%.
View Quote

Agree on all counts!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
OP, send them the link to this thread.  Maybe they will make it right.  If not, they are gonna lose some potential business.
View Quote

Great minds think alike. Just did a few mins ago and pointed out unanimous opinion that Glockmeister owns this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
I hear if sack up and fix your own shit whether it's cars, houses, boats, or guns you get a lot better results.
View Quote

I agree. I usually do. I’ve done a ton of vehicle repairs and AR15 building/fixing in my garage. What often happens is an event like this that convinces me to just do that task myself even though I assumed it was precarious/difficult at first.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#44]
They own their fuck-up. You gave them a front sight and a pistol, you should get both back.

They took on the work.

They own this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Any knucklehead that installs pistol sights by going ham fisted with a hammer should be pistol whipped.
What a fucking idiot. Oh, he had a gunsmithing degree. That makes it okay.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Send me the pistol so we know that it’s in the possession of an OEM man.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Send me the pistol so we know that it’s in the possession of an OEM man.
View Quote

How dare you assume my gender!

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#48]

FIFY
View All Quotes

FIFY

Sorry about your pistol OP, but pretty much this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZQF7G79?tag=arfcom00-20

Bought this brand off amazon years ago and works flawlessly.
Done a dozen of my own and loan it to friends regularly..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#49]
It's pretty obvious that they broke it by beating the fuck out of it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grumpycoconut] [#50]
The idiot didn't have a sight pusher?

Even I have a sight pusher.

Who installs a sight using an engineers hammer?

And who says I'm a "Glocksmith not a gunsmith"? That's like the mechanic at my local European Auto Specialist hole in the wall mechanic shop saying it's not his fault he fucked up my Toyota because he has a BMW roundel painted on his wall next to the address numbers.  

You need to shit talk that man as loudly, frequently, and as publicly as you can. Embarass his embarrasing ass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top