Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Apart from the carbine, potentially, all handguns are roughly all the same. No real reason to change.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock makes Glocks. I don’t think they are interested in becoming another Ruger or Springfield
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Very hard to beat a Glock pistol.  It works, good accurate  gun.  I don’t care what gun you have if it doesn’t work reliably it is a paper weight. All semi-auto pistols should be made that way. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:...Are they going to change, or slowly fade away?
View Quote

Probably neither.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock needs to develop their own carbine/PDW.
View Quote

This would sell.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I suppose they have their market. Their strategy is based around high output, low manufacturing cost, simplicity and volume.

They may believe the moment they start expanding overall costs might go up or they might not be able to get the volume they want. I still think they could probably add some things without diminishing their main line of mass produced pistols.

They can make a carbine like this that takes pistol mags:

Next thing they can do is come out with their own counterpart to the CZ Shadow, SIG's various competition models and similar. Many aftermarket companies have come out for Glocks including in house builds catering to the competition market or offering higher end pistols out of the box.

Imagine if Glock made these in house. Maybe not so fancy looking, but something with an upgraded trigger and the like out of the box:

Most companies sell higher end models or competition variants, Glock is the only one who only sells basic versions.

Again, they might be after high volume, low manufacturing cost and don't want to mess that up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly there's nothing left to improve. They could sell something different, but that doesn't make it better.

I think they missed the boat by not teaming up with MecGar and releasing their own 15 round G43X and 48 mags, but other than that, what's left to develop?
View Quote

There's nothing left to improve....Glock people have Stockholm Syndrome.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That’s not their business model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can’t they get their stuff together and release some truly new stuff?

That’s not their business model.

Yea, but there's no rule that says it has to be that way. If S&W and Colt can alternate between revolvers & pistols, Ford can make B-24 Liberator's, and Elon Musk can launch rockets just because he's bored, dunno why Glock can't change-it-up just a little. (??)

Ehhh....but what do I know? They make $billions$ while I make posts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If it's not broke why fix it?
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I want the slide and frame colors from the 19X on a full size 17.

Curious what they’d tweak on a Gen 6.  I haven’t upgraded from Gen 3 yet though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
The gen 5 has the best Glock trigger I've used, including aftermarkets, so that was a definite improvement. I'm not sure ehy they produce multiple generations concurrently and don't update them all to gen 5.

They have room to improve though in a few areas:

-weird light rail

-mediocre magazines

-takedown procedure

OP has a point though, one has to wonder where S&W would be if they never made the 39 and only ever made revolvers.

Quoted:
Glock is arguably the most 3rd party supported handgun in history.  Innovate it yourself.

View Quote

That's probably the 1911. Not to trigger anyone though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock has a great dependable product. The changes over the years have been good but minor. They don't risk straying from what is proven. Great but boring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This besides a gen5 g20/MO21

@ban-hater
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep the pistols as they are and add a carbine, if they did it right, they would sell a ton, even if over priced.

This besides a gen5 g20/MO21

@ban-hater

Right!

It's amazing people complain about Glock innovation and still carry that relic the 1911.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I want a Glock 17-sized .22 lr. The 44 is nice, but why not make a full size, as well? Heck, they could do a 43X-sized .22 lr and I'd happily buy it, too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Gen5 Glocks are an excellent duty pistol.  Decent trigger, ambi slide stop is great for lefties and for one-handed manipulations.  Ameriglo sights are MUCH better than anything they previously offered.  New trigger spring system eliminates one of the few failure points in the Glock 9mm, and the finish doesn't rust after a few hours in a wet holster like the Gen4 guns.

Perfect?  No, but damn good for a carry/general issue pistol.  Very reliable, acceptably accurate, easy to maintain.   Cheap, easy to replace.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's the only part I disagree with. The hallmark of any good design is to design a good reliable magazine first...then design a gun around it. Just who is making a mag that is more reliable then an OEM Glock mag??
View Quote

What pistols that use a quality OEM like Mec-Gar have magazines that are less reliable?

ETA: for your post below, we fucked up the M2HB when we developed the M2A1.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can do it, it's not as simple as stripping the plastic off.  Requires welding and cutting.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173129/92194CBC-208B-472B-8282-961971C10C51-1071811.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly there's nothing left to improve. They could sell something different, but that doesn't make it better.

I think they missed the boat by not teaming up with MecGar and releasing their own 15 round G43X and 48 mags, but other than that, what's left to develop?

I wondered about something concerning the 43X and metal mags - Could you strip the (or enough) polymer off a factory G17 mag and make to function?

No. The mag catch wouldn't interface, among other dimensional inconsistencies.
You can do it, it's not as simple as stripping the plastic off.  Requires welding and cutting.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173129/92194CBC-208B-472B-8282-961971C10C51-1071811.jpg

That’s what I thought.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They should release a PDW.

EVERYONE would buy one.
View Quote

Mag in grip PDW like UZI or MP7
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock is good. But you don’t look to them for innovation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
You spoke, glock listened. Introducing the glock 60!
.32acp
5+1 capacity
The same sub compact frame size you've learned to love!
And, because everyone only likes one color on their glocks, it's pink!
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The gen 5 has the best Glock trigger I've used, including aftermarkets, so that was a definite improvement. I'm not sure ehy they produce multiple generations concurrently and don't update them all to gen 5.

They have room to improve though in a few areas:

-weird light rail

-mediocre magazines

-takedown procedure

OP has a point though, one has to wonder where S&W would be if they never made the 39 and only ever made revolvers.

That's probably the 1911. Not to trigger anyone though.
View Quote
I never understood the light rail complaints. Probably the most low profile design in the industry (fits Gen 2 holsters) and works with every popular light I've ever tried.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I think we have seen "peak" Glock innovation.

I hope personal firearms exist 100 years from now, it would be interesting to compare Glock then to 1911 popularity now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Too many clones are better. Also the pistol world has moved on. P10, PPQ, VP9, 2011s. Better ergos and triggers. I remember them forcing the shot on their workers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Was a Glock fanboi. Now an FN fanboi who carries a P365 for CC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#25]
No carbine no care.

They are limited by their mag designs for carry. G19 is still the best all around handgun though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Probably will do a 19x to every pistol in their lineup first.

A carbine would be cool, but unless someone pushes it within Glock I don't see it happening soon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What pistols that use a quality OEM like Mec-Gar have magazines that are less reliable?

ETA: for your post below, we fucked up the M2HB when we developed the M2A1.
View Quote

For starters, the statement that I questioned was from Shotars comment that every other MAG OEM bested Glock's Glocks. So there's that. No where did I question the reliability of others, but when someone says that others have "Bested" Glocks magazine design, they should be able to quantify that and not just throw out a blanket statement. Ready comprehension. How does it work again?

And as to the Ma Deuce... I have no experience with the M2A1, But plenty with he original, and I never had issues with head space and timing, but it was an Army wide training issue and weakness that had been identified many times over the years and I'm going to guess that eliminating the need to adjust headspace and timing was a good thing. Since you don't need to do that on any other MG in our inventory.

For Every Joe or Jarhead that says he had no issues...there are 5ea. who do/did... So, the odds were never in our favor.
And after watching 20 years of GWOT GoPro videos from the helmets of 50 cal gunners, that was not a made up issue.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think we have seen "peak" Glock innovation.

I hope personal firearms exist 100 years from now, it would be interesting to compare Glock then to 1911 popularity now.
View Quote
It's interesting to think about.

If anything, I think any major "innovation" on Glock's part that made current mags, parts and holsters obsolete would hurt it in that respect.  Change it substantially enough, and the Glock as we know it goes the way of the 3rd Gen S&W.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's interesting to think about.

If anything, I think any major "innovation" on Glock's part that made current mags, parts and holsters obsolete would hurt it in that respect.  Change it substantially enough, and the Glock as we know it goes the way of the 3rd Gen S&W.
View Quote

I'm kinda chuckling, thinking about the modern gunfighter 100 years from now calling "FUDD!!" on the Glock holdovers
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
They won't innovate and still thrive
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The whole PCC things sounds pointless to me.

Glock only stands to disappoint people, 87% of whom wouldn’t have bought a PCC anyway.
View Quote

Thisssss.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got into guns 3 years ago and my first purchase was a G45.
I bought it because my friend, who grew up in Alaska, told me that Glocks are the most reliable.
I'm guessing that's why most people buy their guns, so why change the design?
View Quote

Because some of us have been carrying them for decades other makers were destined to make improved mouse traps, and did.

I carry my 19 every day as it does most things well, the grip is not one of them. These days, it functions perfectly, but it's a fat kid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm kinda chuckling, thinking about the modern gunfighter 100 years from now calling "FUDD!!" on the Glock holdovers
View Quote
Lol.  Depends on how much things advance I guess.  Maybe an electric/push button trigger in a pistol that holds 30 exploding .150 caliber rounds, with zero recoil. Millennials will be ranting about wars fought with SF using Glocks and SIGs, and calling everyone pussies because they can't handle 9mm.

I hope I live to see it man.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Not having read all 3 pages, has anyone pointed out the irony of asking this question on a website dedicated to a firearm design that is old enough to collect Social Security?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Did the 1911 fade away?

How bout the AR platform, developed in oh I don’t know the late ‘50’s early 60’s? Still basically the same now as then.

Oh you can dress up the aforementioned guns, sure. Just like you can a Glock. But really, they do the same thing now that they did decades ago and people still buy the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Getting rid of the trigger return spring in the Gen5s removed a common failure point and greatly increased MRBF. Adding the bolt face notch really helped election too
View Quote

There's a trigger spring but there  never was a trigger return spring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting rid of the trigger return spring in the Gen5s removed a common failure point and greatly increased MRBF. Adding the bolt face notch really helped election too

What Glock calls a trigger spring everyone else calls a trigger return spring.  Switching it from an extension spring to a compression spring was a smart move on Glocks part.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd just be happy if they would show the 20/21 some Gen 5 love and get rid of the finger grooves from the factory.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Glock needs to develop their own carbine/PDW.
View Quote

That opportunity for Glock has passed. Way too many good PPC options on the market already. Many using Glock pattern mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For starters, the statement that I questioned was from Shotars comment that every other MAG OEM bested Glock's Glocks. So there's that. No where did I question the reliability of others, but when someone says that others have "Bested" Glocks magazine design, they should be able to quantify that and not just throw out a blanket statement. Ready comprehension. How does it work again?

And as to the Ma Deuce... I have no experience with the M2A1, But plenty with he original, and I never had issues with head space and timing, but it was an Army wide training issue and weakness that had been identified many times over the years and I'm going to guess that eliminating the need to adjust headspace and timing was a good thing. Since you don't need to do that on any other MG in our inventory.

For Every Joe or Jarhead that says he had no issues...there are 5ea. who do/did... So, the odds were never in our favor.
And after watching 20 years of GWOT GoPro videos from the helmets of 50 cal gunners, that was not a made up issue.

View Quote

The issue with headspace and timing is with people losing the gauge, it isn't a hard thing to do. The problem with the M2A1 is that the headspacing stud breaks off easily, and then the barrels have to be sent off to be headspaced because it isn't a unit level procedure.

Glock magazines aren't any more reliable than other pistol magazines, and use an inefficient design cladding the steel tube with plastic instead of just notching the steel tube. There is no reason they can't use a metal mag release like plenty of other poly frame guns, or even a metal reinforced plastic one like Beretta does. As they are, they are unnecessarily bulky, and the locking notch can wear out-neither of which happen with normal pistol mags. People like Glock mags because they are ubiquitous and cheap, not because they are a better magazine.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I own a bunch of Glocks from gen3 up.  I sold the older ones for decent profit.  Glock really hasn’t changed shit in decades.  All their new releases have been meh at best.  

Why can’t they get their stuff together and release some truly new stuff?

I’m a Glock fanboy, but haven’t been excited about any of their new stuff other than the Glock 44.  

Are they going to change, or slowly fade away?
View Quote

No kidding….hell, I’d be excited if they’d sell 15 round G44 mags
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Glock's primary market for years was law enforcement.  When you have to meet certain department standards or purchase requirements, there isn't much innovation.

The 43x was a close as they will come to catering to the non leo market.  

There are reasons why they still make the gen 3 and it's not because you like it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Innovation for the sake of innovation?  Op misses the point of owning a glock and doesn't read uncle ted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Apart from the carbine, potentially, all handguns are roughly all the same. No real reason to change.
View Quote
This.

IMHO 99% of complaints about Glocks are complete hogwash.

I don't understand why people expect one MFG to cater to their every whim.

Cant shoot it because of the grip angle? Buy one of the other hundred polymer pistols out there Goldilocks.

They release the Gen 2 and everyone puts those stupid Hogue grips sleeves one them.  They release the Gen 3 and people start milling the finger grooves off them.  People complain that they are slippery so they release the RTF and people bitch about them being too rough.  Gen 5 is finally real perfection, but not enough "muh innovation"!

Just move on to another MFG, shut up and let the people who like Glocks keep buying them.

Same shit with Colt.  Move on and buy something else.

The "innovation" shit has gone full retard.

End rant.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Glocks product is "the Glock". Their marketing and reputation, right or wrong, is reliability.

They've gotten that reputation by making dozens of variations of the exact same product with incremental changes over 40 years.

Glock doesn't actually sell firearms. They sell Glocks.

If Glock puts their name on another, new innovative, product, they'll face their name and reputation no longer being synonymous with reliability. Innovation is risk and Glock is risk adverse.

Honest question for those who want Glock, specifically Glock, to make a rifle. Why?

ETA: for those making parallels to Colt. Colts issue was not that they only make AR15s, it's that they only made very basic AR15s avs ignored market evolution. And much of that was restricted.

Had they sold their product line openly and made relevant market products, they could continue to rest on making "just an AR15".

If Glock was still only selling the Gen 1 17 there's an issue. But the Gen 5 MOS incorporated most of the major things that the aftermarket was addressing (finger groove removal, optics cuts, better triggers, better barrels).
View Quote

I totally disagree with Colt.  I have listed off Colts offerings before and it was a page long when they were really pumping out guns.

Pre COVID/CZ buyout Colt probably had more AR and 1911 configurations available than any other MFG.  People just ignore/pretend they didn't for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Frt factory compensated guns would be awesome
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The USP hasn't changed at all since 1994 and hasn't been discontinued.

View Quote
other than having an actual useable rail its a pretty decent gun.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top