Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2020 9:47:08 PM EDT
I posted this in the Handguns>Glock forum, but did not get much in the way of responses, so I'm going to try with GD, (God help me. . )

Recently, I bought a new Ruger PC9, as one of the selling points is that uses Glock mags.
Went to a range recently to sight in the red-dot on the Ruger.   While doing that, I noticed I had some trouble with some of my mags not seating.

Went through them when I got home, and it seems I have 2 different iterations of these 10 round mags.   The ones that are problematic will NOT seat in the Ruger magwell, while working fine in my Glock pistols.

I have no issue with some of the mags--they work in the Glocks and the Ruger carbine.  Both are marked "Glock", and have the same shape notch on the back.

Below is a picture of the 2 different mags side by side.   The problematic one is the one on the left.  You can see it has a pronounced "shoulder" on the RH side of the mag, and also the "dimple" at the top of the RH side is larger than the the other, no-issue mag.

So, I now have one set of Glock mags that will not work in the Ruger.  They work fine in the Glocks, so I really don't want to get rid of them, plus, if I replace them, how do I know that the ones I get will not be the same style that is causing the problem---and, what is/was the style change that makes these different?  Are they counterfeit. . .or what?  I thought maybe they were G17 mags,---but they work in my G19 pistols. . . .   Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Who even uses 10 round mags?  Seriously though, I thought I read on some Glock forum that folks in ban states with actual 10 round mags had encountered some feeding issues in Glock pistols.  Don't know if there was some sort of fix.

@FudgieGhost1
ETA: I did a google search and this came up (along with a fix).  Hope it helps...
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=978596
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suspect OP lives in a commie state, which is why he/she has 10rd mags.

I only use OEM Glock mags and I've never had issues with mags with my PC9.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who even uses 10 round mags?  Seriously though, I thought I read on some Glock forum that folks in ban states with actual 10 round mags had encountered some feeding issues in Glock pistols.  Don't know if there was some sort of fix.

I did a google search and this came up.  Hope it helps...
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
You're about 5 rounds short of a real magazine.

My PC9 runs all glock mags without issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There are two kinds of gen 4 mags, one of them and gen 3 mags have that shelf thing.

Guessing the older mag didn't work as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I live in a state that prohibits mags of over 10 rounds. . . hate it, but there it is.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@FudgieGhost1
ETA: I did a google search and this came up (along with a fix).  Hope it helps...
View Quote
I don't have a problem with my Glocks.  The problem is with the mags not seating in the Ruger carbine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did a google search and this came up.  Hope it helps...

Both mags shown are Glock mags, as you can see from their markings.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Notice how the right mag has a "1" at the bottom. That might indicate an improvement over earlier mags. S&W had a similar marking system on their 3rd gen mags. I would look up online to see whether or not the "1" indicates a newer generation. I have no idea myself as I have full capacity mags.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Notice how the right mag has a "1" at the bottom. That might indicate an improvement over earlier mags. S&W had a similar marking system on their 3rd gen mags. I would look up online to see whether or not the "1" indicates a newer generation. I have no idea myself as I have full capacity mags.
View Quote
I have a 10rnd with the 1 stamp that is the style of the one on the left.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#11]
@FudgieGhost1 - I have a PC9 as well with the Glock adapter and a ton of Glock mags.  Granted they are all 17 rounders, but some are over 20 years old and have the similar mold as the mag you posted (left side).  Tonight I tried the 20+ year old mag, a 7-8 year old one and one that is less than a year old.  All seated fine.  I wonder if your Glock adapter on your PC9 is somehow a tad out of spec.  Here is a pic of the 20+ year old mag (left) next to one that is around 7-8 years old (right).  The left one has the "pronounced shoulder" like yours.  I'm pretty sure I bought it around 1997 and it has LE only markings.  Not sure if your problematic one was made during the same timeframe, but it has the same shoulder as yours (that my newer mags don't have).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Which side is your mag release on?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Fpni

Ten rounds?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which side is your mag release on?
View Quote
The release is set on the LH side--as you hold the rifle.  That lines the actual tab with the notch in the mags--which is on the opposite side of the magwell as the release---I checked that when looking over the problem.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@FudgieGhost1 - I have a PC9 as well with the Glock adapter and a ton of Glock mags.  Granted they are all 17 rounders, but some are over 20 years old and have the similar mold as the mag you posted (left side).  Tonight I tried the 20+ year old mag, a 7-8 year old one and one that is less than a year old.  All seated fine.  I wonder if your Glock adapter on your PC9 is somehow a tad out of spec.  Here is a pic of the 20+ year old mag (left) next to one that is around 7-8 years old (right).  The left one has the "pronounced shoulder" like yours.  I'm pretty sure I bought it around 1997 and it has LE only markings.  Not sure if your problematic one was made during the same timeframe, but it has the same shoulder as yours (that my newer mags don't have).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-1438393.JPG
View Quote
KC: Hmmm. . well, I believe I obtained all of these 10 rnd mags when the SAFE act was instituted in 2012.   I cannot remember who I got them from---most likely Brownells or Midway. . . I was scrambling to get 10 round Glock mags as well as 10 round AR mags. . . I have (6) of these problematic ones.  So to replace them I'm looking at the very least $120. . . I'm interested in your theory about an out of spec magwell.  I guess I should contact Ruger and ask them. . . ???
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
KC: Hmmm. . well, I believe I obtained all of these 10 rnd mags when the SAFE act was instituted in 2012.   I cannot remember who I got them from---most likely Brownells or Midway. . . I was scrambling to get 10 round Glock mags as well as 10 round AR mags. . . I have (6) of these problematic ones.  So to replace them I'm looking at the very least $120. . . I'm interested in your theory about an out of spec magwell.  I guess I should contact Ruger and ask them. . . ???
View Quote

Taking the 10 vs 17 round out of the equation, i'll bet the Glock mag adapter that came with your PC9 is ever so slightly out of spec, which is causing your issue.  Do you have any friends with a PC9 that you can try out their adapter in your gun?  If not, maybe the shop where you bought the gun will let you try one of their adapters from a new gun.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Taking the 10 vs 17 round out of the equation, i'll bet the Glock mag adapter that came with your PC9 is ever so slightly out of spec, which is causing your issue.  Do you have any friends with a PC9 that you can try out their adapter in your gun?  If not, maybe the shop where you bought the gun will let you try one of their adapters from a new gun.  Just a thought.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got the PC9 at the end of March--it's brand new, and the shop I got it at does not really stock anything but SIG pistols, and only a few at that.  It's a very small place.   I'm going to try contacting Ruger--hell, I'll send them one of the problematic mags to check out. . . It is weird that they work in my Glocks.   Both of my Glocks are old.  I think they are Gen2's. . .

Thanks for your tip. . . you may be right---it kinda makes sense. .

ETA: I've sent the problematic mag to Ruger.   They are going to check it out. . . . I mentioned that perhaps the magwell is out of spec, and asked if it was a vended item---I'm not sure Ruger actually makes it.   Maybe they got a bad batch. . . ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Update on this:  I sent the mag to Ruger, and had not heard back from them.  I called them this morning---I was worried the mag never made it there.  They got it.  They did send me an email this morning, which was a direct copy (form letter?) of what they sent me when I first contacted them about the problem.  In that email, they mention that there are some, what they call "Gen 3 magazines" that have NOT been tested in the carbine, but that they have not heard of any issues with them. . . .Hmmmmm. . . so, maybe there IS an issue with those?

Anyway, first they told me that the mag was shipped back to me, but then when I asked about the test fitting, and told them about the email that I gotten this morning, they put me on hold.  Came back and said the mag was with one of their engineers and they would notify me of the results.  

ETA: here is the text of the relevant part in the email: We have tested Gen 4 and newer Glock 19 Magazines and will function in the PC Carbine. However the older generation 3 Glock 19 magazine have not been tested, and have not heard of any issues.
ETAA: ok,  Ruger called me.  They basically read the above statement to me, and said they are sending my mag back to me.  I said to them, "are you going to note on your website that not all Glock mags work in the PC9, since you now know that this type doesn't?"  He said that would be up to the marketing dept!. . . Ha!  

So, be aware if anyone is planning on getting one of these carbines and using Glock mags in them. . .some iterations will NOT!
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Update: ok, so I ordered a new 43X/48 G19 10 rnd mag from CDNN to try out.  It also will not seat in the PC9.  

Is this mag type not "Gen 4 and newer"?   I thought it was. . . but I'm not an expert on Glock mags. . .

So, I've send ANOTHER message to Ruger asking them to tell me specifically which mags will work, so I can buy the right ones. . .but I don't have much faith in them helping me out. . . I  guess to them, it's a Glock problem, not a Ruger one. . or at least that seems to be the position they are taking. . .It's not like I want anyone to pay for anything, I just want to get the correct mags.

Can anyone point me to a G19 mag that they KNOW will work in the PC9, and where I can get them?   This is driving me crazy. . .
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
If it's a 43X/48 magazine, it is not a G19 magazine. It is for a completely different kind of Glock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
9mm-3 followers
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Update: ok, I got several of the P-mag 9mm G19 mags (MAG907BLK) from Brownells---and they work in both the G19 and the Ruger!  

Well, I say "they work", I have'nt loaded them with rounds yet.  But, empty, they lock and drop ok. . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top