Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2021 5:54:27 PM EDT
Went to a local slope combat event a few weeks ago and forgot how much it made your face hurt from smiling all day.  Man foamy RC combat is fun.

I did a thing last week and made an order.

I used to be pretty heavy in this a couple decades ago,  even represented the USA at the Viking Race in Portugal in 2000.

It's all done now,  I'll maiden it this weekend down at Los Banos Creek and res and then my first competition is in two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice choice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s a form of RC flying I’d like to try
You’d think there would be something around Pittsburgh or further down the Ohio river with those big hillsides or cliffs along the river, but I don’t think there’s any current sloping clubs or sites around

There is a club or site up near Cleveland.  Cuyohoga state (?) park, I think where the ski slopes are.  But that’s way too far to drive.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Slope soaring is my favorite type of flying.

Near Columbia PA?  http://slopeflyer.com/category/flying-sites/pennsylvania/
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You’d think there would be something around Pittsburgh or further down the Ohio river with those big hillsides or cliffs along the river, but I don’t think there’s any current sloping clubs or sites around

There is a club or site up near Cleveland.  Cuyohoga state (?) park, I think where the ski slopes are.  But that’s way too far to drive.
View Quote

Get yourself a nice lightweight foamy of some sort and try spots out.

I got this stupid little thing that fit's back in it's product box so I can keep it behind the seat in my truck all the time.  It so light a gopher farting on a bump makes damn near enough lift to keep it up.  Really fun to fly and durable.

RC groups post with a shitload of info about the Dreamflight Alula.

Alula Trek- Light lift at Sunset
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I got this stupid little thing that fit's back in it's product box so I can keep it behind the seat in my truck all the time.  It so light a gopher farting on a bump makes damn near enough lift to keep it up.  Really fun to fly and durable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhJ_GDB_z4
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnhJ_GDB_z4

I have a knock off Alulu and it is okay.

In general, I hate foamies.

But a Dream Flite Weasel is a must have.  Mine has been everywhere with me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've wanted to build a Scooty for a long time.  
Plans were from Model Airplane News back in 1981

But doing a lost foam fiberglass fuselage and hot wire foam wing with obechi skins was way beyond my skills as a young teenager.    So it never got too far.   The first coat of fiberglass was a sticky mess.  The resin never cured  

I think it's got some of the nicest lines for a sailplane.  The guy who designed it also designed a number of other good sailplanes, I think .  It was supposed to be a slope soared

Jarel Designs also had a wild design
Once in a very rare while a Shogun slope soarer will show up for sale on RCGroups.   The body was vacuum molded plastic.  The wings foam.  Assume they were hot wire cut.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've wanted to build a Scooty for a long time.  
Plans were from Model Airplane News back in 1981

https://outerzone.co.uk/images/_thumbs/plans/9494.jpg

But doing a lost foam fiberglass fuselage and hot wire foam wing with obechi skins was way beyond my skills as a young teenager.    So it never got too far.   The first coat of fiberglass was a sticky mess.  The resin never cured  

I think it's got some of the nicest lines for a sailplane.  The guy who designed it also designed a number of other good sailplanes, I think .  It was supposed to be a slope soared

Jarel Designs also had a wild design
Once in a very rare while a Shogun slope soarer will show up for sale on RCGroups.   The body was vacuum molded plastic.  The wings foam.  Assume they were hot wire cut.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/319879/B5D099C0-1566-450B-B91A-CFE7B75E6201_jpe-1924683.JPG
View Quote

Says designer is Willy Byers, wonder if that is the same guy, Wil Byers, that owned Sailplane and Electric Modeler magazine?   I believe he was a columnist for Model Aviation for a while as well.   I had one of his thermal designs, Cloud Climber I think.  It was an odd duck.

I have a Shogun kit on the shelf as well as a Jade Impulse.  There was a dude on RCG that brought back the line for a short while, wish I picked up a Telos.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Slope soaring is my favorite type of flying.

Near Columbia PA?  http://slopeflyer.com/category/flying-sites/pennsylvania/
View Quote

Columbia Pa (wasn’t familiar with the town name) is pretty far away.   Have been through the area before so I could see it being decent.  It’s along the Susquehanna River.  There are some decent sized hills/slopes along the river.   Not far from 3 Mile Island.   And between Lancaster and York Pa
Too far for me.  

But those slopes wouldn’t even come close to the cliffs along the Ohio river between wheeling and Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Says designer is Willy Byers, wonder if that is the same guy, Wil Byers, that owned Sailplane and Electric Modeler magazine?   I believe he was a columnist for Model Aviation for a while as well.   I had one of his thermal designs, Cloud Climber I think.  It was an odd duck.

I have a Shogun kit on the shelf as well as a Jade Impulse.  There was a dude on RCG that brought back the line for a short while, wish I picked up a Telos.
View Quote

Same guy
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Freestyler is a keeper.

Good flying plane,  no bad habits.  

Took me a while to remember the sequence of setting up a new to me plane but by the end of the afternoon today where we had 30mph on the main face at Los Banos ALL DAY today.  CG squared away so no dive or climb with neutral trim,  aileron diff set and snapflap where I like it plus the crow elevator comp. Had to read the cheat sheet for the OpenTX F3F template downloaded from Mike Shellem every time I needed to change something,  what I wouldn't give to have a 2.4 gig module for my Multiplex 3030. I suspect I'll understand it well before too long.

Had a while to play after had it squared away,  put 1/2 ballast in it and got a good solid 30 minutes of race turn practice with nobody else in the air.

Now I need to pick up another one for a spare and I'm going to need a DS toy too.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
What radio are you using?  I have used every major brand going back to the Futaba gold box days.

Once I accepted my Taranis just needed me to tell it "make this do this" and not use a prearraged mixer a whole world opened.  

I swear I have seen a 2.4 module somewhere for the MPX TXs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What radio are you using?  I have used every major brand going back to the Futaba gold box days.

Once I accepted my Taranis just needed me to tell it "make this do this" and not use a prearraged mixer a whole world opened.  

I swear I have seen a 2.4 module somewhere for the MPX TXs.
View Quote

I picked up a Radiomaster TX16S,  seems to do everything OK.  I like the telemetry stuff so you can see your aircrafts receiver batt voltage just by looking down.  

I have a couple of Futaba Tan pebble finish with chrome gimbals TX here at home,  then the gold boxes,  then I went JR for a while and then the 3030,  ugly thing but programming was so easy on it.   I have an eye on that new Frsky X20 but I'm not going to be a damn beta tester,  I'll let some of the others see if it has any problems with F3X gliders first.   I really like the redundancy of the 2.4 and 900 at the same time without paying 2k for a Jeti.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I was a dedicated JR guy for a long time until my 9303 died a second time due to battery issues.

I love my Taranis and QX7, but closely watching the X20 release.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Got through my first race back yesterday.

I placed 7th which was mid pack,  not too bad considering my probably 6-8 hours of total stick time in the last 17ish years.

Setup is a little off on my Freestyler yet,  I didn't expect it to be perfect with maybe an hour of time on it so far.  I'll make some changes and it try to make the race they are trying to put together at Funston Beach next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I did a thing again,  shame on Soaring USA having nice shit in stock when the whole world is in " sorry we don't have it " mode.

Should have it by Friday at the latest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#16]
What is this one?  SUSA never seems to have what I want.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is this one?  SUSA never seems to have what I want.
View Quote

Pitbull 2,   I was expecting that puke green color that they have pics of on their site,  I asked what they had and Rick sent me pics of this red beauty.   I'm really liking the black exposed carbon thing they do now,  never saw that on the gliders 20 years ago,  if it was black it was paint.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I asked about a Destiny a while back and all they had was ugly.

I have too many projects for the moment anyway, finishing some DLG molds and rebuilding a 1/5th scale Swift, then I need to refurb a RnR Nova.  Looking forward to the Nova.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I asked about a Destiny a while back and all they had was ugly.

I have too many projects for the moment anyway, finishing some DLG molds and rebuilding a 1/5th scale Swift, then I need to refurb a RnR Nova.  Looking forward to the Nova.
View Quote

I have a Deviant 1m DHL on it's way here too ( left the UK today, I have the gear for it for a week ),  it'll be my first DLG ever.  I still have my original first generation R/E Maple Leaf that I've swapped a 2.4 receiver in to, a Mongo Jr that's gotta be 23 years old that I recovered and 2.4ed.  I have 2 other projects,  a Higgins F-20 that I never finished and a little glass bagged 48" flying wing ( AldiJ maybe ) that Pierre Rondel gave me that a buddy of his made back in 2000 when I was over that way.   One of the basher guys I've known forever ( Fatlion ) has a spare original Boomerang he's going to give me next time I see him at Los Banos.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I had a brand new FRsky receiver shit 2 $75 digital servos and FRsky response was send it to China to have them check it out,  we'll replace the $50 dollar receiver if it's bad but you are shit out of luck on your $150 worth of servos.

Since I'm rebuilding my quiver and pretty much had to buy everything anyway I did a thing again.  Wasn't too invested in FRsky receivers anyway.

This thing is EASY to program a full house sailplane on.   had my Freestyler switched over in about an hour,  made a copy of that,  zeroed all the subtrims and had the Pitbull set up in half that,  just had to do the subtrims and throws.

Now I have 2 F3F planes for a race on Sunday near Fort Funston,   almost needed the spare last weekend when I did a touch and go half way down the slope..   Came up with a bush holding on to the tail but got it down with no damage.

Kens weapon on base B.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#22]
How did the RX cook the servos?
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How did the RX cook the servos?
View Quote

Best I can figure is a voltage spike ( I'm running 2 18650's for a RX pack ) ,   I've read about it in a few different places about the voltage regulator/capacitor in the FRsky receivers being marginal.   No magic smoke came out of the servos and a look inside showed nothing wrong but SOMETHING is cooked.  Putting them on a known good receiver shows no activity.   This is exactly what I read about in some other posts about this issue.   The receiver in question fried 2 good servos in a row on channel #2, servos on all other channels no issue at all.  To confirm I put an old POS cirrus servo that was in the bottom of my old toolbox on the #2 spot,  yep fried.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe I am not tracking.  The RX isn't going to regulate the voltage and most don't.  The servo is on the same bus as the rx is drawing from.  2S voltage is 8.4V for fully charged.  The Cirrus servo would have been 6V tops, it should have fried.  Not sure what the other servos were, if not rated for 8.4V.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#25]
The two that no longer function were MKS HV6130s
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Ah, should have been GTG then.  Could check it with a voltmeter to see if +5v was some how being bridged to thr signal tire, that would do it.  Bad soldering or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Coastal race was cancelled today for a semi dismal wind forecast just south of San Francisco.   Wind at Benicia was much better so the Slot was the destination for my new Pitbull 2 maiden flight today.   To be honest I like it better than the Freestyler 6 so far,  maybe I just got lucky on the initial setup but it handles better IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Put a little DLG in the air today for a maiden.  it pays to know all the disciplines.

Now if Aloft Hobbies would just get some Dynamic 60's in stock I'd be pretty happy with my quiver.  May have to spring for the 80 but I'm not sure that one piece wing will fit in my trucks 6' bed.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Put a little DLG in the air today for a maiden.  it pays to know all the disciplines.

Now if Aloft Hobbies would just get some Dynamic 60's in stock I'd be pretty happy with my quiver.  May have to spring for the 80 but I'm not sure that one piece wing will fit in my trucks 6' bed.

https://i.imgur.com/KJkVbMh.jpg
View Quote

Saw one of those fly last week and it really did pretty well.

Same guy was flying an FX...I might have some DLG lust.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Saw one of those fly last week and it really did pretty well.

Same guy was flying an FX...I might have some DLG lust.  
View Quote

It flew surprisingly well for my initial setup,  I'm really liking that Jeti,  I didn't have to reference anything to get it programmed in there with 5 flight modes.  Damn radio is flat out simple to do complex gliders with.  I'm going to have to drop another 25 with those guys so I can get the voice output module,  I don't know why but I feel the absolute need to be able to flick a switch and the transmitter tell me exactly how high my last throw was.  Looking down at the display for the vario output is a PITA.

I need to bring a little putty with me to fine tune the CG but the recommended 65mm was pretty proper.  Would have liked to get a bit more time out there but by noon is was downright warm out there in the park.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I follow a guy on instagram that makes microgliders.

Dude is based out of LosAngeles and is a gun owner.

He posted a pic of an NAA 22lr the other day and the micro penis crew from Europe had to squak over it being inappropriate.

Anyhow, between the 3D printer and my CNC mill one of these days I wouldnt mind cutting out a DLG type glider.

Too many goddamn projects, this stuff is more like a retirement level delayed venture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a friend that lived in the UK and used to talk mad shit about my guns.  When he moved here I took him out a few times,  then when his parents came over the first thing they wanted to do was go shooting,  now he has a fairly impressive collection by California standards.

The Euro wienies just need to separated from the herd for a short period of time to see their folly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I am a bit surprised you picked the  Radiomaster TX16S radio for fixed wing.  However, that hardware seems to be a better choice than the Jumper 16.
I think the radio master tx 16s max would / could be a bit better choice in the product line.  

The max version of the standard Radiomaster seems to have better feeling joysticks and a better build quality of some of the other style radios I have played with.

The last radio I used for fix wing work was a nice JR radio with a Taranis X9D as a never used backup.  The only thing I ever flew was powered gliders; but the local RC club sort of hated people flying those things at the field because a person would be flying "too long".  

BTW: thanks for sharing the photos of the slope glider, real nice looking....

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

but the local RC club sort of hated people flying those things at the field because a person would be flying "too long".  

View Quote

That is the kind of thing that reminds me why I will never join a club.

A small DLG and I will just goto the soccer/baseball fields close to home.

Learned to fly fixed wing on a powered flider in farm fields and construction site developments.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I gotta quit calling these vendors and asking about what color they have in stock.......

Just got home from Aloft with their last D80.

Do you suppose that because it's the same color as my other moldies leaned up against the wall in the office she won't notice that a third appeared?

My UK buddy taught me "You always buy gliders in the same color scheme".
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Dude I follow on Instagram's website.

Microbirds

Some small little things like that could prove fun at the local park.

I really want to get a decent slope setup for camping so I can fly fixed wing while charging batteries for FPV rigs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Those things are cute.

I'd suggest a nice little LIGHT 60" moldy for a camping rig.   Back in the day the Mini Ellipse by Muller was the perfect grab and go,   They only weighed about 16-18 oz would float on damn near any slope lift and held up in the DS circle just fine.  I can't really recommend anything specific right now,  I don't know jack about the 60"ers available but I would look for a light one for and all around grab and go.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Those things are cute.

I'd suggest a nice little LIGHT 60" moldy for a camping rig.   Back in the day the Mini Ellipse by Muller was the perfect grab and go,   They only weighed about 16-18 oz would float on damn near any slope lift and held up in the DS circle just fine.  I can't really recommend anything specific right now,  I don't know jack about the 60"ers available but I would look for a light one for and all around grab and go.
View Quote

To be fair I have hooked thermals with things like a 2.4m foamy Calypso.

Going back to fixed wing is gonna be awhile.    Like 8-13 years down the road kinda awhile.

Being able to go camp some place for a week and just tune out and fly while grilling is the goal.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Light moldies don't do well when the LZ contains lava rock.  Maybe I should bag some wings with basalt fabric.

The worst thing is I hate foamies.  Latest build is an old DAW kit, at least it uses lam film.  Should be better.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Light moldies don't do well when the LZ contains lava rock.  Maybe I should bag some wings with basalt fabric.

The worst thing is I hate foamies.  Latest build is an old DAW kit, at least it uses lam film.  Should be better.
View Quote

If the LZ is shit just hover in some laminar and catch the damn things,   it's easy with the 60s.

Was out with both my F3F birds today working on my turns and fine tuning the setups a bit since I switched radios.   It was 104 degrees out there today,  with a breeze LOL.  I could only take about an hour before I had to sit in the truck with the AC going for 10 minutes.  

Ran across a couple of hawks playing around when I was shifting slopes when the wind direction shifted at 2pm.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Chris Farley action going on.

Fat plane in a little truck, fat plane in a little truck...

I owe my foray into FPV due to gliders tho.   2013 the options were all too heavy and I started turning gliders into just planes due to too much weight.

Now I have so much micro gear suitable for sub 250g quads I could FPV piggback just about anything.   Slope soaring along with FPV and a barometer and a vario feeding data could be fun.   Throw a little gimbal action on a switch and it might just be worth DJI HD digital for the ride.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Chris Farley action going on.

Fat plane in a little truck, fat plane in a little truck...

I owe my foray into FPV due to gliders tho.   2013 the options were all too heavy and I started turning gliders into just planes due to too much weight.

Now I have so much micro gear suitable for sub 250g quads I could FPV piggback just about anything.   Slope soaring along with FPV and a barometer and a vario feeding data could be fun.   Throw a little gimbal action on a switch and it might just be worth DJI HD digital for the ride.
View Quote

I keep looking at quads thinking it would be fun chasing a F3F plane around to get some neat pics.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I keep looking at quads thinking it would be fun chasing a F3F plane around to get some neat pics.
View Quote

If you are ever down in Kern County area look me up.  Might be able to meet up and do exactly that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
There is a thread over on RCG about FPV slope flying, it looks like it might be fun.  We have a couple of epic places around here, not sure I would fly them FPV.  There are zero chances for recovery in a few places.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought a cheap blaze years ago, and its pretty good. swapped the prop and its a solid 80mph bird when I need it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There is a thread over on RCG about FPV slope flying, it looks like it might be fun.  We have a couple of epic places around here, not sure I would fly them FPV.  There are zero chances for recovery in a few places.
View Quote

I have thought that SW Pennsylvania with all the big hills and cliffs along the rivers would be good - and some face west too would be great for slop soaring.  But there doesn’t seem to be any going on around.  Maybe all those prime spots are private property and no access?
The closest organized Slope Soaring groups I know of are Cleveland and out in eastern Pa.   too far for me, just to fly a glider
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Well the Freestyler is done,  had a failsafe right after I popped flaps and pointed it straight down because we were doing two up heats.   It just went straight in from about 100 feet.   Never had an issue with it before and have had it so far away I could hardly tell which way it was facing, it fail safed at 50 meters right in front of the base A pylon.

Still have the PB2 in perfect shape didn't bother putting it in the air to finish the competition I need to send the transmitter in and have it checked out before I shit another 3k dollar plane because I was stupid and didn't send it in.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Ouch man.  The Jeti went tango uniform?  

I recently picked up an old school Contender.  I am irrationally excited about it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ouch man.  The Jeti went tango uniform?  

I recently picked up an old school Contender.  I am irrationally excited about it.
View Quote

I'm not exactly sure what happened,  the transmitter was announcing something when it went into failsafe,   I couldn't quite hear it because it was blowing 40mph and Darrel Zaballos was standing next to me screaming WHAT THE FUCK as it augured into the ground while I was yelling " I aint got it "  

I need to break out the transmitter and go through my programming and check to see if it logged it,   haven't turned it on since that happened yesterday.

The wingaron thing,  those are so much fun,  I need a wingaron in my quiver somewhere I just haven't run across one yet.  Seems like everything is always order and wait.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#50]
My first high performance sailplane was a DD Pivot, many years ago.  I was scared to death of it at first, it was fast with a crazy L/D but grew to love it.  I put so much air time on it that it wasn't even funny.

A while back I got a foamie wingeron from a dude in Oregon and it has become my slope tester.  I tried a new slope last weekend.  The wind was so-so, maybe 15kts, but the lift was great.  I tossed this thing out and even with a bunch of down elevator it was still going up.  One of those "We are gonna need more lead" moments.

Came home and started on a Samurai kit, then bought this Contender.  It is kinda ugly, but probably flyable.  This thing would have been wicked last weekend.  The wing is about as thick as a 45 ACP round.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top