Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2022 2:14:46 AM EDT
I’ve been a Christian my whole life. That’s never been an issue. I’ve always known the truth.

There were some bad years between 15 and 30 that took me far off the path.

Been living right for 6 years now and leading my family the way I am supposed to.

That said, I’m still very nervous about baptism and the whole public display of my acceptance of Jesus.

Is this normal? I understand the importance of the act and it’s been keeping me up for hours.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I was very young so i don't have a lot to offer.

I'll say this, if you aren't ready or are hesitating, don't. Come back to it when you are ready.

I got baptized in a stream. 1971
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There have been public displays of baptism since John the Forerunner was baptizing, including his baptizing of Christ.

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
@BadBob

You need to change your outlook on whats taking place today, when you became a follower of Christ you unknowingly were dropped on the front lines
of a warzone, and for 15~ years you were taken out of the battle, BUT today is Victory day you are back in the fight!!

Today is not one to be nervous and anxious, today is a victory celebration, today when you come up out of the water you are declaring Freedom!

Today you are publicly saying to your family and the world that Jesus is your King and you are His soldier

Im excited for the leadership example you will be providing to all those around you this morning

This is not something to dread or be nervous about but a opportunity to shout your Warcry!

Be excited be thankful and celebrate, and i'm sure you will

Your brother in Christ!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't normally read in here but today I did for some reason.

Perhaps you are not ready.?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It's very common to be nervous anytime one displays themselves before others. I don't see that as a sign that you are not ready. I almost threw up and passed out at my wedding because it was huge, but trust me, I was ready.
You know your heart and so does God. It's not an obligation, it's a privilege.
As the Ethiopian eunuch asked, what prevents me from getting baptized? Absolutely nothing, if that's what you want.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You will be fine OP, praying for you Brother
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That said, I’m still very nervous about baptism and the whole public display of my acceptance of Jesus.

Is this normal? I understand the importance of the act and it’s been keeping me up for hours.
View Quote

When someone is walking with the world, Satan has no reason to afflict him/her.

When someone starts to reject the world and move towards God, Satan has every reason to afflict him/her, cause doubt, cast aspersions, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@BadBob

You need to change your outlook on whats taking place today, when you became a follower of Christ you unknowingly were dropped on the front lines
of a warzone, and for 15~ years you were taken out of the battle, BUT today is Victory day you are back in the fight!!

Today is not one to be nervous and anxious, today is a victory celebration, today when you come up out of the water you are declaring Freedom!

Today you are publicly saying to your family and the world that Jesus is your King and you are His soldier

Im excited for the leadership example you will be providing to all those around you this morning

This is not something to dread or be nervous about but a opportunity to shout your Warcry!

Be excited be thankful and celebrate, and i'm sure you will

Your brother in Christ!
View Quote
Satan always seeks to destroy and today he wants to destroy your joy in baptism. This is a tremendous day for you and for the Kingdom! Shout down the devil in VICTORY and FREEDOM! Receive it and celebrate in the Lord! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When someone starts to reject the world and move towards God, Satan has every reason to afflict him/her, cause doubt, cast aspersions, etc.
View Quote

Thank you for that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Congratulations on your baptism!  It is normal to be nervous when you get in front of a audience.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#12]
"Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin."Romans 6:4-7 NASB1995

True freedom!  Be strong, brother!

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I will see if I can ask this right. Are you nervous about the getting baptized part and if you are ready or not, or about the being in public part? If you are sure you are ready to be baptized, and from what little you wrote it sounds like you are, then I can't see why you shouldn't feel good about going through with it. I hate being in front of crowds. If i had to go through getting baptized again in a church of any size they wouldn't need a pool of water, they could do it in my own sweat. I bet that once you do it you will be extremely glad you did. Good luck with it! BTW, I really believe that God judges on sincerity, not how nervous you are or, or aren't, in public.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Don’t sweat it OP. It will be over before I can type this.

And congratulations on taking that step. God bless you and yours.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]
It’s just an outward display of what’s happened in your heart.  You are now going the follow Jesus and his teaching.  It tells other believers where your heart is.  It think back in biblical times it was a major step as Christians were being hunted and killed for their beliefs.  You can be a Christian without being baptized.  Unless you have a Catholic belief that being baptized will save you.  Read the Bible Jesus saves nothing we can do will save you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It’s just an outward display of what’s happened in your heart.  You are now going the follow Jesus and his teaching.  It tells other believers where your heart is.  It think back in biblical times it was a major step as Christians were being hunted and killed for their beliefs.  You can be a Christian without being baptized.  Unless you have a Catholic belief that being baptized will save you.  Read the Bible Jesus saves nothing we can do will save you.
View Quote

Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Matthew 6:19-21
English Standard Version
Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[a] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

You got his brother
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You were right. I’m very happy that I did.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I’ve been a Christian my whole life. That’s never been an issue. I’ve always known the truth.

There were some bad years between 15 and 30 that took me far off the path.

Been living right for 6 years now and leading my family the way I am supposed to.

View Quote

Jesus set the example of his public baptism.
You don't need to be baptized to be saved, (The thief on the cross, the bleeding woman), but being baptized is being obedient
Good on you for publicly declaring your faith in Christ.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glory to God.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was very young so i don't have a lot to offer.

I'll say this, if you aren't ready or are hesitating, don't. Come back to it when you are ready.

I got baptized in a stream. 1971
View Quote

John the Baptist proper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
God bless you brother.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top