Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2021 4:19:32 PM EDT
Hello humidor,

Haven't ventured into this section in a bit as my cigar smoking was put on hold for a bit, but getting back into it all again very soon. Good on cigars, but wanting to get back into pipes again and looking for advice on tobacco blends to try.

All I know is I didn't like a strong Latakia presence last time I smoked pipe tobacco. I don't hate it, but if it's the main tobacco in the blend, I probably won't like it.

Here is what I have on the way to try:

1-Q
Haunted Bookshop
John Marr
C&D Virginia Ribbon
C&D Old Joe Krantz
Sutliff 515 RC-1
Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia
SG Navy Flake
SG Grousemoor
SG Commonwealth
SG Squadron Leader
Peterson Early Morning Pipe
Peterson Elizabethan
Presbyterian
Capstan Gold Navy
Capstan Original
Mac Baren 7 Seas Black
Peterson Flake
Half & Half
Captain Black Original

Most of this is in 1oz bags or the smallest tin they sold. Hoping the H&H or Captain Black will smell like what I remember as a child. Most tend to say they do not taste good, but don't care right now. Looking to find that "Hey, my grandpa smoked that" pipe smell in one of those 2 blends.

The rest I just see mentioned a lot on forums or have good reviews, so I'll see if my taste buds like them.

Any other tobacco's I need to put on my list to order? I'm willing to give them all a try at least once.

Has a pipe tobacco pass happened any time recently? I was in 1 with some of you guys many many years ago when EchoAngel17 was putting them together, but doesn't look like one has happened any time recent. Maybe just not enough interest?

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Sean
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
How does one somoke a pipe?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks...fixed

Got any pipe tobacco suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a mom joke in this that'd probably get me banned.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hello humidor,

Haven't ventured into this section in a bit as my cigar smoking was put on hold for a bit, but getting back into it all again very soon. Good on cigars, but wanting to get back into pipes again and looking for advice on tobacco blends to try.

All I know is I didn't like a strong Latakia presence last time I smoked pipe tobacco. I don't hate it, but if it's the main tobacco in the blend, I probably won't like it.

Here is what I have on the way to try:

1-Q
Haunted Bookshop Very nice, I like a little perique
John Marr
C&D Virginia Ribbon Nothing wrong with this
C&D Old Joe Krantz Love this, nic to spare
Sutliff 515 RC-1
Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia
SG Navy Flake Love this!
SG Grousemoor Eh, OK
SG Commonwealth
SG Squadron Leader Awesome! But, does have Latakia, keep it for your Lat blend pipe
Peterson Early Morning Pipe
Peterson Elizabethan
Presbyterian
Capstan Gold Navy I like the flake, Gold and blue
Capstan Original
Mac Baren 7 Seas Black
Peterson Flake Another nice flake, good nic hit
Half & Half
Captain Black Original Smells Good, not much nic, a gooper, good in a Missouri Meerschaum.

Sean
View Quote

Some good stuff there, and some I've not tried. I'm pretty much into flakes these days, though my pipes have languished since I got hooked on nasal snuff. Dunhill Flake is very good. If you want a higher quality aromatic that others will also love, Mac Baren's Vanilla Creme Flake is quite nice, huge step up from Captain Black. How about some H&H Stogie if you like cigars, I quite like it. I do like Latakia and Perique in moderation. Frog Morton is another good one that has a bit of Latakia.

I mostly smoke my little 'meer Apple these days, loaded with some sort of flake. My other favorite is an old WDC full-bent, a nice little flake burner.  

Michael
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The captain black and the 1-Q are close enough to be indistinguishable to me.  Smells great in the room, but that's about it.  Seattle pipe club tobaccos are pretty popular and get good reviews.  I got some of the plum pudding but I've yet to try it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top