Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2021 2:06:34 PM EDT
I had never thought of what happened to Germany's embassies and ambassadors at the end of the war up until now. For the countries that still held diplomatic relations with Germany by the war's end, did the German ambassadors remain there, or were they recalled to Germany? Since Germany was under occupation I'd assume they would've had to return to Germany? I assume the same would hold true for Japan. I would assume Italy would've just had new ambassadors assigned once Mussolini was deposed and the new Allied-friendly government was established. Would anyone have better info on this or even perhaps a book that sheds more light on it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Italy declared war on Germany after Mussolini was removed so I doubt they had embassies.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I read about this decades ago, so I don't have exact country by country information. However, it has been a tradition throughout History that when war occurs, ambassadors have been granted "safe passage' out of the hostile country.

In WWII as in World War I before and because of the number of belligerents involved, there were 3 categories of actions took by differing countries from what I can remember.
  • Host Country granted safe passage out by a time specified
  • Host Country effectively put Embassy and personnel under "house arrest;" if they had to leave the Embassy compound, they went under guard and were returned under guard.
  • Host Country interned all Foreign personnel in a prison camp.
These modern times, post WWII, with the rise of International Revolutionaries, all those old archaic bourgeoisie laws, treaties, customs are gone.  

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
By law, which still stands, they are allowed to leave or are detained and exchanged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top