Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 7:59:59 AM EDT
I know that the common and safe advice is to get a transfer switch, but I have run across the setup pictured below.  This is a subpanel off of the main box that appears to be a type of lock out.  There is a generator cable running to the garage from it.  In planning my own setup, is this safe and up to code?  I appreciate any advice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks alright to me. But it’s hard to tell if everything is good without opening the panel.

It looks like they have all the major circuits that you might want powered up covered. It’s possible that the sub panel was put in just for generator use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks similar in function to a interlock which is how i have my generator wired into my panel.

I'm not an electrician but it would seem that the generator would only run whats in this sub panel. Not sure if this your setup or a picture you grabbed off the web.

i went with an interlock so that i could manage what circuits would be powered during a power outage versus limiting myself to the number of circuits the transfer switch was designed for.  YMMV
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, thanks, you guys are quick.  I appreciate the input, and I know that it would have to be opened up to see the wiring.  I was more looking at it as a concept at this point.  I'm going to keep researching, but it's good to know this may be a viable option.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
When I had my interlock installed I had to know the brand of panel so that the electrician could order the correct kit. Maybe is was BS but in any case just something to mention.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I had my interlock installed I had to know the brand of panel so that the electrician could order the correct kit. Maybe is was BS but in any case just something to mention.

View Quote

Not BS, different panels have different layouts and dimensions. Because the interlock must interact with both the Main and the generator breakers they are different for every panel.

If you can't find an interlock for your panel look on ebay etc. I was able to find one for an obsolete GE panel there. It was over priced but it was still cheaper than my time to make one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about code but as the main breaker at the main panel is turned OFF before generator is plugged in you will not kill a lineman
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know about code but as the main breaker at the main panel is turned OFF before generator is plugged in you will not kill a lineman
View Quote

Generally true but the interlock provides a fail safe that physically prevents mistakes.

Even people that have done things the right way thousands of times can make mistakes. Anything that carries that level risk should not be left to chance. Even the rules of firearms safety have redundancies (have to violate more than 1 for an accidental injury).
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

well he called this a sub, so really that is turning off the subpanel feed from the main, if its actually wired that way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Edited
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top