Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 9:17:59 PM EDT
My new to me house has oil heat. 20 plus year old heater.
250 gallon tank took 216 gallons before Thanksgiving. 400 bucks
Another couple of weeks will need to fill up again. 400 more bucks

My new neighborhood is now getting natural gas brought in.
Has anyone here switched? Efficiency, one vs the other?

Just to really mix it up, Electric?
My dads place had a heat pump, his bill was lower than mine in my old house.

I Live in Northern Delaware, so that puts me heat pump range also.

Suggestions greatfully accepted.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Natural gas is much cheaper especially with 90% efficient furnaces. Electric would be next using a heat pump if the temps remain above freezing, below freezing your meter will spin like a top.

eta- my December gas bill was $100. Furnace, Tankless Water heater, range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I got another tank of heating oil last week and it was $75 more than the one I got in October.
I'd like a gas range and water heater for better efficiency over electric, but my furnace is only a couple years old, it's what came with the place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Natural gas, period. You can go with a geothermal heat pump system and your costs will be lower then oil or propane but repairs are costly and your outlay with be MUCH more initially and you still have a finite life span.

If You get get NG ran to your house, do it. Longevity is also longer then with propane.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You want natural gas.
Gas heating, cooking, hot water, dryer
Second place would be duel fuel. Heatpump with oil back up
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
NG. "Gas does the big jobs better for less".

I run a tankless water-heater to supply both my home heat (baseboard radiators) AND my domestic hot water, and have a gas dryer and gas range. One appliance (the tankless) does all the heating work, it's 96% efficient, and the best thing is that if it craps out (the previous 9-year old unit did...), it's mounted on the laundry-room wall and is VERY EASY to simply detach from the circulator manifold, gas-line, domestic hot pipe, and vent pipes. It's fundamentally "plug and play". A swap-job takes about 1 hour for an old fat guy (me).  

Your heating bill for either gas or oil or propane is affected by four basic factors: The insulation of your house (mine, built in 1942 - 49 in the AZ mountains, essentially has almost none...), The type and layout-design of heating system that you use (hot-water hydronic / baseboard radiators are probably about the most efficient way to distribute heat in your building), the efficiency of your heating plant / furnace, and the prevailing weather of the season.  IF you have fire-places, things are further changed.  My Dec - Feb gas bills (heating a 1400 sqft old, poorly-insulated block-wall house with single-pane picture windows (to let in the views!), running daily "endless hot water showers" for 2, cooking, and weekly laundry loads) average about 120.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Natural Gas 90% furnace with a Heat Pump
Fossil fuel kit set change over for gas at 50 degrees
Probably about best way
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
See if someone (Google) has comparative prices per therm of energy.  Natural gas should be the best with electric worst unless you live where hydro power makes it affordable.

Natural gas is probably faster in water heaters and better for cooking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably about best way
View Quote
We use to do that here in PA in the early 2000s.
Our electric provider use to do a electric heating rate.
Now it's just cheaper to use a 95 to 98% gas furnace.
Only duel fuel we do now is oil or propane
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely switch to natural gas. I would switch the water heater, stove/oven, and dryer over to gas as well. At least when they are due to be replaced if not sooner.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I own a company that sells diesel fuel.

Literally millions of gallons of diesel fuel a year.

And I get a great price on diesel fuel.

And I switched to natural gas.

Fuck home heating oil / oil heat / diesel fuel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a heat pump. If you really want gas, get a hybrid set up and you'll see how often it runs after a winter.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#12]
My old house is all gas and the bill maxed out at around 225 during winter.

The nice thing about going to gas in the new place would be getting rid of the 250

gallon oil take in the basement.(Bigger reloading bench)

Might go gas heat first. Then tankless.

Water heater and stove as they need replaced.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably about best way
View Quote

This is a new one for me.

Will need to research it.

Thanx
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Just get nat gas. No more oil smells. Gas range is a joy to cook on. Gas Hot Water is great. Fast recovery. No smells. No filling tanks. Easy to live with. Clean. Initial investment easy.

No brainer, OP.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The only advantage with oil is that you're not tied to a grid. You can go to any gas station that sells (preferably off-road) diesel fuel if you run out of oil.
Last winter there was a fire at a NG pumping station in Michigan, and people were urged to keep their thermostats set at 68 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Oil is tied to a distribution network. IMO just as, if not more vulnerable, as the ng grid. I guess you did not live through the '70s.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
See if someone (Google) has comparative prices per therm of energy.  Natural gas should be the best with electric worst unless you live where hydro power makes it affordable.

Natural gas is probably faster in water heaters and better for cooking.

View Quote

Definitely - NOT "probably" - faster in water heaters (and ask any professional chef whether he or she wants to work on an electric range over a gas one...)

This is why "tankless water-heaters" are either NG or propane  NOT electric.  Electricity is GREAT for bringing in a constant flow of energy into a heating element - but it is seriously limited by the available equipment, including your house wiring and electrical supply lines - from bringing in enough energy FAST ENOUGH to heat much water very quickly. Water is dense. It takes about one calorie of heat to raise the temperature of one cubic centimeter (1 ml) 1 degree C at or near average room temperatures.  Residential electric systems and available electric heating elements simply cannot deliver sufficient therms into a body of water fast enough to raise that temp fast enough to make anything other than a small volume "on-demand water-heater" work.  It takes a LOT of fast-input energy to effectively rapidly heat large volumes of water.  Gas "tankless" heaters can do this - with 100k - 200k BTU (therm) burners.  200k BTU is a massive burner, friends.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I think an electric heat pump is more efficient until it gets down to a certain temperature, then gas becomes more efficient.

One thing to consider with gas is to consider the cost for the entire year. I have natural gas but still get charged $40 a month even if I don’t use any gas that month.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]
NG us always the cheapest solution where available. We generate quite bit of electricity from natural gas so it follows that the product will always cost more than the fuel to make it.

If a single heat pump can heat and cool your house that is usually a good deal, but if you need supplemental AC as well then a NG furnace and central air is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the hvac business and the best part about natural gas service is the short equipment life making it easy to make money.  Oil equipment lasts much longer than any other type of equipment, most homeowners will bad mouth oil heat for some idiotic biased reason but there is nothing wrong with it.  I have it at my current house and will never switch to gas and I had gas at my old house.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oil is tied to a distribution network. IMO just as, if not more vulnerable, as the ng grid. I guess you did not live through the '70s.
View Quote

I was in my twenties in the 70s and owned motor vehicles during the Arab oil embargo. I was never unable to buy gasoline, and I doubt that any truckers had to park their trucks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Check your NG pricing and you electric pricing.  In Ohio we never install heat pump for NG customers.  Still cheaper to run the furnace.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in the hvac business and the best part about natural gas service is the short equipment life making it easy to make money.  Oil equipment lasts much longer than any other type of equipment, most homeowners will bad mouth oil heat for some idiotic biased reason but there is nothing wrong with it.  I have it at my current house and will never switch to gas and I had gas at my old house.
View Quote
What does it cost an oil customer for yearly service vs a gas customer?
What's your cost for an oil furnace and a gas furnace?
Do you sell oil?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#24]
G   A   S

If you can get gas, this is the way.

I used to work in NG, and may be going back to it. When I worked in the NG industry, even my fucking dryer was gas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well this is a first for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only advantage with oil is that you're not tied to a grid. You can go to any gas station that sells (preferably off-road) diesel fuel if you run out of oil.
Last winter there was a fire at a NG pumping station in Michigan, and people were urged to keep their thermostats set at 68 degrees.
View Quote

Why did they want them to turn the heat up?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I had heating oil until last year. I paid 230 or so a month for 9 months of the year for heating oil. Electric bills year round where 80 to 120. I went to a heat pump when the oil furnace died, last winter my highest electric bill was 270, so cheaper than I spent for a winter electric bill plus oil. Now last winter was fairly mild, this year its colder and I have almost touched 300 a few times, so about even. My electric bills over the summer where 110 or so.

So the heat pump is a savings over the oil, I am sure nat gas would have max of 100 buck winter bills.

House is a 3700 sg ft including the finished basement with 2x6 walls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#28]
None of the above here, we’re on propane with a 1,000 gallon tank (800 gallons max). In April I filled it to the 800 gallon max and topped it off last week with 470 gallons at $1.45/gallon delivered. It’s been below a average temps since the middle of October, that’s running a gas range, two furnaces, and a 50 gallon water heater. Probably more expensive than natural gas, but better than electric.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Get the NG.

I have an LP set up with heat pump. Cost at time wasn’t much more to put in heat pump with LP high efficiency furnace then just LP furnace with AC with rebates at the time.  LP price fluctuating  much more then  NG for homeowner so give me a bit more options but high efficiency furnace with NG and I would worry at all.  I have had oil and I would go LP before I would ever have oil again.  

LP is like NG except I have tank on-site and choice in who delivers,
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't get natural gas but propane is good. I fill up the tank once a year for $800 which covers a 2200 sq ft house, running a furnace, dryer, stove, and two hot water tanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#31]
FWIW it costs me about $60/month to heat my 2300ft house in ND in the coldest part of winter.

ETA - forgot to say with NG.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine's electric. $480.97 this month. :-/
It's 18 degrees out which is a factor.
View Quote

I think my gas portion [heat, hot water] of my utility bill was around $45 last month. Not a big house but built in the early 50's so insulation is ''ehhhh'' other then in the ceiling. 96% efficient NG furnace though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Im a fan of dual fuel (Heat pump+furnace....set lockout to 40*) only if using LP.  With how cheap NG is, install a 96% 2 stage NG furnace and forget about it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214834/20210128_212523_jpg-1801421.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/214834/20210128_212523_jpg-1801421.JPG

Sixty eight degrees or lower is what the Nixon administration wanted Americans to set their home thermostats to during the "energy crisis". Maybe that set a precedent.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#36]
A gallon of oil has the same energy as like $0.20 worth of natural gas. Do you think oil is going to get cheaper? They're practically giving gas away as a result of all the wells they drilled looking for oil, and so be for the foreseeable future, since they aren't allowed to flare it CONUS.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My old house is all gas and the bill maxed out at around 225 during winter.

The nice thing about going to gas in the new place would be getting rid of the 250

gallon oil take in the basement.(Bigger reloading bench)

Might go gas heat first. Then tankless.

Water heater and stove as they need replaced.

View Quote

Tell the plumber you want all of that so he does the fittings correctly, resizing later is a bitch. A tankless burns gas like no tomorrow but is rarely on, so it needs huge capacity.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top