Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2023 5:42:45 PM EDT
Moving and starting with a clean slate. Empty garage with lots of room. I'm going to need it. I've got plenty of tools and stuff to fill it up

What did you do to your shop that you love?

What didn't you do that you wish you had?

What have you seen that you thought "fuck that's awesome".

I get to start all over from scratch. I loved my pegboard over my bench but am open to different. I loved my bench made from a wood door and 4x4's and will probably build another one similar-unless there is something better.

This time I'll get to have a dedicated shop for cars and another area for gunshit.

I plan on coating the floor first. What else?

Organization, order and clean is VERY high on my OCD list.

Thanks for any ideas,
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your space insulated?  Being empty would be a great time to do that.

I like the idea of 3/4" ply on the inside walls so you don't have to find a stud to hand things on; however, this is expensive.  It seems you have to use drywall first (fire code, maybe), then the plywood over that.

Lighting, Lighting, Lighting!!!  I like the LED 4' tubes over a bench.

Can you put outlets on independent breakers?

Outlet for welder?  Do you need a 220volt 50amp, or something bigger?  Do you need a welding table; can this be covered to use as a bench?

Air line plumbed to where you want them?  Perhaps the air compressor outside so you don't have to listen to it when it runs.

Ventilation; will you be doing any painting?  Do you need HVAC, or heating only?

Interested is reading others ideas.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I did my air compressor in the back closet and ran line out to where I’d use it. Amazing.

Also I have like 12’ of tool boxes and work bench. Mismatched and expanded as I needed and found deals. I would have gone with matching Harbor Freight chests from the start.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I built my backyard shop in 1995.    30x30, 10 foot high 16 foot wide garage door.   I wish I could have gone BIGGER but I had to footprint it inside zoning areas, etc.   Anyway, I plumbed electricity of course out there, along with 220 service for welders and such.  I also plumbed water out there and a phone line.  I WISH I would have run gas for a heater.  I used portable heaters out there for years and they always sufficed, but it would have been nice to flip a switch.
I didn't epoxy the floor but I did have it sealed.  It was fairly impervious to everything other than gasoline...which would make the floor sticky until it dried again. Almost 28 years later, LOTS of work in that garage, the floor still looks great.  
Big door is insulated.   Walls and roof are not.  Wish I would have insulated also, but really, it worked out well.  Lighting....I've had 2 or 3 sets of lights as technology gets better.  I need to put LED lights out there now, but I don't do much work out there anymore, now it's mostly a place for my trucks/boats/toys.  All my tools are out there, along with some work benches.  It's a a mess all the time however...I don't care like I used to!   (mainly cause I don't spend as much time out there as I used to!)
It's still awsome and was one of the best things I did for myself in my whole life. I've spent a lot of time in that garage and all my mechanic buddy's were jealous.

Even back when I was anal and OCD about orginization, I remember that stuff would still accumulate, and some days I would literally have to just spend a few hours to clean up and declutter before starting the next project!
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
It is insulated and finished, I had some plywood sheet in areas to attach things to in the last shop, that works fantastic.

My old one went from 4 incandescent to 4x8 foot twin tubes, that I never got around to led upgrades in, that will be an early early early install.

I've got one 220 in the corner that's where the compressor goes, closet built around that. Last shop I put a reel up by the compressor and another at the other end of the shop that would go to the end of the driveway. The.reels were an uncomfortable bitch to move with but will go back up like that for air everywhere. I built a hanging rack with female fittings and hung my air tools off that. It was crude but worked well. I want to improve air tool storage

I don't weld, never learned. I may get a small one to tack with and learn, a bench with removable metal overlay is a great idea-thank you. I can cut, never had torches before, I'll probably get the small set.

I'll need to figure out heat, it's attached but not heated. It doesn't have water. Bib right outside and bathroom right inside the house door

My roller is big but full. I've been watching offer up for an additional one.

I'm out of room and money and haven't even moved in yet

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Insulation
Air conditioning/heat  (mini split with back up heaters).
3/4 plywood/particle board on all walls.   Loved this in the old shop. New shop was dry walled. I’m going to put t1-11  in the corner I have my assembly table.  

Currently compressor or inside. Will be moved into a lean too in a month. Hate compressor noise.

I have a scissor lift table for a work  bench / assembly table and it’s on wheels. I use it to unload the truck then lower, as an I feed table on my table saw and as an assembly table and work bench. It’s an atv loft that I built a torsion box too on it with a 1/4” hdpe top.  Best thing I ever did.  ( I also have a 4x8 outfeed table that’s fixed with vises.

I bought a trolley setup that uses unistrut for a track. Have it above where my scissor lift table is to the back of the shop where my plywood storage is. I have a harbor freight electric hoist. Currently working on a vacuume  plywood lift with it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Vacuum system for table saw?

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't survive without my chain hoists in my shop. Make SURE you have a well supported attachment point for at least one. Air all over. Water for a "port-a-cool" unit on casters. Floor drain. LED lighting. Put everything you can on casters so your footprint can change on a whim.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Water for a "port-a-cool" unit.

Put everything you can on casters so your footprint can change on a whim.
View Quote

Swamp cooler?

Excellent idea. Moving shit around sucked. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you weld, grind, plasma and flame cut, and move heavy shit on steel wheels, you shouldn't coat your floor with anything more than sealant.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you weld, grind, plasma and flame cut, and move heavy shit on steel wheels, you shouldn't coat your floor with anything more than sealant.  
View Quote

Light shop only. Work on our vehicles, lawnmowers, tinker and fuck around.

I should have qualified shop, i forgot some of you guys serious shop. This is serious play. May go as far as buy an old car and piddle restore. Nothing serious.

Thank you for getting me on the right page.

Casters on everything is fantastic.

I need organization around the perimeter. I've got two steel cabinets that made the move and absorb a lot of shit. My toys and reloading shit will have their own space and will no longer be in the garage.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#12]
More outlets than you think you need, to include 220

Bigger doors than you think you need

Lots of bright lights

Gantry crane (this is dependent on what you plan to do though)

A sink is really nice to have too
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I need to build or buy a big heavy long steel bench with some organization under it. Everything I have right now is a mess, too many projects currently.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#14]
a neighbor of mine put in Hex LED lighting... it is amazing
(around perimeter of ceiling)
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
a neighbor of mine put in Hex LED lighting... it is amazing
(around perimeter of ceiling)
View Quote

This?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Swamp cooler?

Excellent idea. Moving shit around sucked. Thank you!
View Quote

https://www.amgair.com/port-a-cool-cyclone-3000-portable-evaporative-cooler-pac2kcyc01.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2cWgBhDYARIsALggUhql8zz2L4Ra9HB_ZHjKq3mUtRwHsyA5LSYFkhbxWf8tSKr34Isa7wkaAva7EALw_wcB
Something like this. Mine is a bit smaller and on casters. I just put it where I need it and go top work. You can find these at estate sales and auctions all over.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Casters:

Get bigger than you think you need, both weight ratting and diameter.  This will make things easier to move when fully loaded.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Casters:

Get bigger than you think you need, both weight ratting and diameter.  This will make things easier to move when fully loaded.  

View Quote

Great advice, thank you!
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This?
View Quote

yes, but i dont think his was as expensive
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Mount one or two 4ft. led lights to your garage door, when its up you will have some great lighting! especially when the door is up if it covers up your ceiling lights.
mine really came in handy when I was working on sxs's I could light up the end of them without using a trouble light.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mount one or two 4ft. led lights to your garage door, when its up you will have some great lighting! especially when the door is up if it covers up your ceiling lights.
mine really came in handy when I was working on sxs's I could light up the end of them without using a trouble light.
View Quote

Interesting concept. My wife will crunch them before she hits the garage door

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Good idea here already but also check out garagejournal.com
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I built my workbench the entire width lag bolted on the rear and ends to 3 walls with no legs.
It's rock solid and open for anything you want under it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow!

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Day we moved into our house I installed 3/4" MDF shelving, 24" deep on heavy duty brackets installed 28" down from the ceiling, around 3 sides. Don't remember why I picked that height but I had a reason back then haha!

I then ponied up and bought about 30 identical medium sized Rubbermaid totes, and just use blue painter's tape for labels. I hate digging and looking through random boxes for some doohickey I saw three years ago and need RIGHT NOW.

Has been a huge help in organizing and keeping clutter off the benches and floor. Never have enough floor space in a garage!
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm guessing 28 inches to accommodate those totes. I have about 30 of them, all labeled.  

They were on gorilla racks before-i hadn't thought of dedicated shelving for them. I think you just named my next check on the list. Thank you!

This thread has been very helpful. Flooring, lights, bin storage-thank you guys so much.

Back to garage journal
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Power tool storage ideas?

Air, battery and corded electric

I've got over a dozen each, all shapes and sizes. I had them in multiple places stored multiple ways. I'd love something to ease my ocd and make use and storage easier.

Anybody got something for those?

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Power tool storage ideas?

Air, battery and corded electric

I've got over a dozen each, all shapes and sizes. I had them in multiple places stored multiple ways. I'd love something to ease my ocd and make use and storage easier.

Anybody got something for those?

View Quote

OmniwallUSA panels might be a good fit.  Here's my current config - it's still a work in progress:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm guessing 28 inches to accommodate those totes. I have about 30 of them, all labeled.  

They were on gorilla racks before-i hadn't thought of dedicated shelving for them. I think you just named my next check on the list. Thank you!
View Quote

You're welcome! Yes, it was so I could just stack two of these totes as needed. Has been a good height in general. Also hve plenty of room underneath for tool boxes and working. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#30]
How high are the ceilings?

I used 2 foot deep shelving racks 8 or 10 feet high.

At waist level is a solid core door that is used as a workbench.
I don’t use the bar at the bottom and tool boxes under the workbench.
Everything up top is storage.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#31]
French cleats
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
French cleats
View Quote

Those are cool-thank you. I will be using those.

Wish they had a different name

Between the LED lights, floor epoxy, CASTERS!, high perimeter shelf for those damn tubs and the free standing bench, I'm off to a great start, really appreciate it.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:22:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I built this for my cordless tools.
Attachment Attached File

I like it, I think it looks great (for using scraps), but it is not near as modular as some of the ideas above.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I built this for my cordless tools.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243487/1_jpg-2755358.JPG
I like it, I think it looks great (for using scraps), but it is not near as modular as some of the ideas above.
View Quote

That one above is pricey. And I'd need more than one component.

Your setup is inspirational as hell. Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Light shop only. Work on our vehicles, lawnmowers, tinker and fuck around.

I should have qualified shop, i forgot some of you guys serious shop. This is serious play. May go as far as buy an old car and piddle restore. Nothing serious.

Thank you for getting me on the right page.

Casters on everything is fantastic.

I need organization around the perimeter. I've got two steel cabinets that made the move and absorb a lot of shit. My toys and reloading shit will have their own space and will no longer be in the garage.

View Quote
Piddling, old car....it always starts this way:

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I have used a bench like this in three shops.  I like the size and portability.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
If you plan on using pro grade air tools, you need enough air.  Volume, cfm, duty cycle, psi, all the things.  This is my 4th compressor, finally big enough:

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#38]
My 3rd welder, my second plasma cutter:

Check out my angle iron shelf brackets.  Cheap, efficient, and I have used them in two shops and two sheds.

Tig is on the shopping list......soon.

If I ever have this floor coated, it will be about a week before I list my house.  I would love to have a barndominium, but I am not sure I have the energy left to move and then build more things.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Floor coating. We had the floor epoxied in my brothers shop, welded, ground, torched all the time as we were running race cars. It made cleanup easy. My current shop was an old chicken coop and the floor saw years of misuse by other tenants before I moved in. the only area that it seems you can keep the floor clean is the one part that was painted/epoxied.
Do not, ever, under any circumstances paint your floor WHITE or very light gray if you will be welding. Especially if you weld in loose shorts or just boxers in the summer. We had the white plastic walls as well, and more than once were sunburned on the back after. Plastic walls, awesome. White, not so much.
If your garage door has windows, roll it up and put a LED shop light where the window will sit when the door is open. That way een when you roll the door up there's light in that spot. Go overboard on the compressor if you plan on a blast cabinet.
The other suggestion is my shop is somewhat limited, so we put in two 220V outlets at either end of the shop, then bought a proper 220V extension cord. It works.
Keep the temp at a constant. Mine is uninsulated, but right now thats the best I can do as it's their shop not mine. But kicking off the heat seems to kick off condensation forming on metal tools and circut boards. Lost the board on my millermatic 185, was talking to the welder tech who is also a racer, and he asked, are you unheated, fire up the torpedo heater, then shut it all down at the end of the night? said yeah how do you know, he replied it seemed to be a common scenario for racers with smoked welders.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP: you are on the wrong website.  go to the website above.
specifically, https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forums/garage-gallery.7/

WARNING

folks on ARFCOM are all "black rifle disease cost so much money!"
but ARFOM'ers are rookies compared to what goes on over on GJ.

oh that expensive S&B scope that you got for your AI AW in .338 Lapua?
yeah that wad doesn't even cover the in-floor hydraulic lift over on GJ.  

so, just be aware that GJ is going to cost you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#41]
The vise collectors over there crack me up.  Yea, let’s collect 30-50 100lb vises, restore them to better than new and then never use them. Just display pieces now.  I blame GJ for the cost of a Baby Wilton to go from $300 4 or 5 years ago to $1200 now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My 3rd welder, my second plasma cutter:

https://i.imgur.com/5XMMYRw.jpg

Check out my angle iron shelf brackets.  Cheap, efficient, and I have used them in two shops and two sheds.

Tig is on the shopping list......soon.

If I ever have this floor coated, it will be about a week before I list my house.  I would love to have a barndominium, but I am not sure I have the energy left to move and then build more things.
View Quote

I see the brackets. I'm not sure how much energy I have

I'll be putting a shelf all the way around the top for the tubs-not sure about bracket or shelf material-guess I need to figure that out. Clocks tickin
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Plastic walls, awesome.

If your garage door has windows, roll it up and put a LED shop light where the window will sit when the door is open. That way een when you roll the door up there's light in that spot. .
View Quote

Is there a4x8 sheet of plastic?

Excellent thought in light/window -these have solid wood doors no window.

The previous guy took no short cuts on things-but he painted the doors.

Half the block is stained half paint. I'm flipping to stain
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OP: you are on the wrong website.  go to the website above.
specifically, https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forums/garage-gallery.7/

WARNING

folks on ARFCOM are all "black rifle disease cost so much money!"
but ARFOM'ers are rookies compared to what goes on over on GJ.

oh that expensive S&B scope that you got for your AI AW in .338 Lapua?
yeah that wad doesn't even cover the in-floor hydraulic lift over on GJ.  

so, just be aware that GJ is going to cost you.
View Quote

I got sent to gj early in this thread-i read it for an hour minimum everyday. Lots of good stuff over there.

My compressor and my vises I brought with me. I'm good with big and small vise. When my compressor dies I'll upgrade. This one has served me well 15 years, I'll bet it makes it longer than me.

If I do a better job setting this one up than I did the last one, I'll be satisfied. The running list so far is light years ahead.

I really do appreciate the ideas.

Brackets and shelving materials next decisions? Off to gj, YouTube and Google
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Butcher block countertops and steel cabinets. The butcher block doesn't scratch parts and you can sand it down to clean it up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#46]
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

We used that over sheetrock, he wanted to be able to shut the power off and power wash the walls if needed. Overkill for most areas, I'll use it in a couple of spots for the next place where we will need to clean frequently.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Piddling, old car....it always starts this way:
View Quote

Torch?  Check.
Vice Grips?  Check.
Air Chisel?  Check.
Purple Spray Painted Jack Stands?  Check.
Looks like you've got everything covered.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do not, ever, under any circumstances paint your floor WHITE or very light gray if you will be welding. Especially if you weld in loose shorts or just boxers in the summer.
View Quote

That's pretty hardcore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This?
View Quote

That stuff is crazy expensive for what it is - I installed a bunch of these in my 3 stall and love them

Barrina LED's

Here's a quick video

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That stuff is crazy expensive for what it is - I installed a bunch of these in my 3 stall and love them

Barrina LED's

Here's a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28tYbL6gkg
View Quote

I love it!

Thank you. 6 of those for 50 bucks, 200 bucks I can stadium light that fucker!

Thank you

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top