Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/19/2021 4:12:57 AM EDT
Just joined the minivan club. I need something to keep her parking where she clears the garage door, and where the rear hatch can open up. There is about 6"' of wiggle room to achieve this.

Been looking at physical stops, lasers, etc on Amazon. My gut tells me a physical stop is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. If I do go that route, is there anything out there that's any good and where I don't have to drill into my concrete floor?

I have an outlet above, an outlet to the side, and a home entry door way directly behind where the van will park if that helps any. My walls and van paint thank you!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Apron.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Motion sensor laser on ceiling. Have it hit a known point on the vehicle she can see.

I have been down this road.

You could also dangle a tennis ball from the ceiling with some 550 cord for less money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
We used a tennis ball attached to a string attached to the ceiling.

Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote
Very simple, yet effective solution.

When suspended tennis ball contacts windshield, time to stop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I got these in my garage, works pretty well.  Gives you green, yellow and red light cues as you get to the sweet spot.

Lowe’s link

Uses 4AA batteries.  My wife had a habit of driving so far into the garage, I couldn’t get past the car to get to the workbench.  This lets her park just right every time.  

A tennis ball and string would be cheaper, but I happened to find this while browsing Lowe’s a while back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I screwed a rubber bumper across the floor where when the front wheels hit it, that's as far as she could go.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got these in my garage, works pretty well.

Lowe’s link

Uses 4AA batteries.  My wife had a habit of driving so far into the garage, I couldn’t get past the car to get to the workbench.  This lets her park just right every time.  

A tennis ball and string would be cheaper, but I happened to find this while browsing Lowe’s a while back.
View Quote

ultrasonic distance sensor

I have one similar. set the range and the LED goes from green - yellow - red
eats batteries so i soldered a 5v power supply in it. perfect now
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

You’ll need to park correctly, mark where the tires are, move the car back out, and then put these down.

I recommend 2, and chalking the outlines of the mats on the garage floor, because they will move with repeated stops. I only bought one, and I need to reposition it every couple of months.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote
Came to say this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
F

P

N

I
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:42:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

This.  Hang a tennis ball where it touches the windshield in front of her face when the vehicle is in the right position.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

My step-dad did/does this with a wiffle ball.  Wiffle balls have holes, easier string attachment, still harmless to a windshield.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Park in the driveway and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Really?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Tennis ball on string, as posted above
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Yup. Pull van forward until it's in the right spot. Hang tennis ball so it's touching the windshield.
In actual use, pull in slowly until ball touches windshield. Stop when contact made.

Job done. Only requires a tennis ball and a couple-three yards of string.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
My mom has a little speed bump thing for one of the front tires.  It's not even stuck down, has never moved.  Has a little tab so that the tire gets on it and holds it down before encountering the hump.

Eta it doesn't move as long as you don't turn the wheel while contacting it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

So long as your wife understands that contact with ball means to stop there, not push ball further to "make sure".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Park car the proper distance that it needs to be. From the ceiling to about middle of the drivers side windshield measure a length of string and attach it in your proffered way to a tennis ball or racquet ball and the other end to the ceiling. I have also seen badminton shuttlecock used.

The idea is when she pulls in she pulls up until the the ball is just touching the windshield.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

I also put down a concrete curb and lagged it to the floor at the right spot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Tennis ball on a string positioned so when it hits the windshield the car is at the right place.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
2x4 with a couple nails. You'll know if she went too far........
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Tennis ball on a string us a tried and true method.  Set this up for my MiL last year because she had problems parking g in the garage consistently.

My parents bought some rubber mats with raised speed bumps on them. Purpose made for accurate parking. I think they found them on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe a shock collar, everytime she hits the wall zap
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Hang a tennis ball from above so that she has to just tap it with her driver's side rearview mirror.

ETA:   I don't understand all the "middle of the windshield" stuff on this.

Aim small, miss small guys!

Set it up to just kiss the drivers side rear mirror.   It gets the driver to the right depth in the space and ALSO where you want them left to right (i.e., room to open door/avoid dings etc)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:24:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So long as your wife understands that contact with ball means to stop there, not push ball further to "make sure".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

This.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Parking attendant.

$7.50 an hour plus tips.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#33]
I don't think it's been mentioned but I think a tennis ball on a string might work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought one of the laser things for my garage. Even put a small round sticker on her dashboard (when the laser is on the dot, you are in the right spot).
I still regularly come in to find her car way too far in the garage and the laser dot somewhere on the center console (~1.5 ft too far in).

I have considered the electric shock collar but in the end I think the matts on the floor are the easier route.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

This, cheap and works well. Even Mr. MaGoo can see a tennis ball hit a windshield.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just joined the minivan club. I need something to keep her parking where she clears the garage door, and where the rear hatch can open up. There is about 6"' of wiggle room to achieve this.

Been looking at physical stops, lasers, etc on Amazon. My gut tells me a physical stop is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. If I do go that route, is there anything out there that's any good and where I don't have to drill into my concrete floor?

I have an outlet above, an outlet to the side, and a home entry door way directly behind where the van will park if that helps any. My walls and van paint thank you!
View Quote

I have a Tennis ball hanging from a string on both sides of the Garage. Works great. As soon as the windshield touches the ball you stop. Simple and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hang a tennis ball from above so that she has to just tap it with her driver's side rearview mirror.

ETA:   I don't understand all the "middle of the windshield" stuff on this.

Aim small, miss small guys!

Set it up to just kiss the drivers side rear mirror.   It gets the driver to the right depth in the space and ALSO where you want them left to right (i.e., room to open door/avoid dings etc)
View Quote

Hangs lower. It's easier to dodge when it's at eye level.
If it was me, I'd center it on the steering wheel at eye level to the driver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Place small circle sticker on top middle of windshield. Hang tennis ball from ceiling of garage by string so that it makes contact with sticker when car is perfectly parked. Drink beer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I tried a tennis ball, and she ripped it down because she said she didn't need it. Since she kept running into the shelves in our old garage, I put down sand bags. She would ram into them repeatedly until they moved forward enough that she was almost into the shelves again so every once in awhile I'd have to scoot them back and/or replace the damaged ones. I determined that her Irish maiden name was Gaelic for stubborn.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

To keep my wife from closing the garage door on her back bumper I just raised the censor on the garage door opener to the level of the bumper.
So if she is not pulled in far enough the door will not close.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I screwed a rubber bumper across the floor where when the front wheels hit it, that's as far as she could go.

View Quote

Also known as an Idiot stop
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

I shoehorn my full size truck in my garage using this technique. The ball touches my driver's side mirror.  It fits with 2 inches to spare on the bumper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy.

This works perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Tennis ball on a string from the ceiling.  You drive forward just far enough for it to hit the windshield... cheapest and most effective.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Block of wood?
Wheel chock?
Geez, 40 years ago my parents had a scrap 2x4 for each vehicle as a stop.

I guess I should be happy with an oversized garage.  I use the camera backing in my Suburban, and my wife has about four feet of room front/back when backing in her Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Tennis ball here too....
If you needed more then that, a 2x4 bolted to the floor will provide a hard stop.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#50]
I use a tennis ball attached to the garage door. Door opens, tennis ball lowers. Door closes, the ball is pulled to the ceiling.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top