Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2020 12:50:51 PM EDT
I have my garage lights on a single light switch. When I use my garage door opener it has its own, rather small, light that turns on when I open or close the door and stays on for about 5 minutes. Is there a light switch or way I can wire the opener to turn on all my garage lights and still have the option to turn them on with the switch?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
might be easier to use a motion detector for the non-door opener light.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Think I figured out what I'm going to do.

I will get a 120v relay with 120v coil.
I will wire the light to the common terminal on the relay.
I will connect the switch's output through the "normally closed" contacts. That will allow the light switch to operate the lights as would be expected.
I will also wire a hot to the "normally open" side of the relay. And connect the garage door opener's light socket to the relay coil. When the garage door opener turns on its light it will close the relay and turn on the garage lights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is also a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This

I have motion detecting lights in my garage. They are life changing.

Garage door goes up? Lights turn on.
Walk into the garage from the house? Lights turn on.

Switch is always on. After 30 seconds of inactivity, the lights dim to 50%. After 5 minutes, they turn off completely.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This

Switch is always on. After 30 seconds of inactivity, the lights dim to 50%. After 5 minutes, they turn off completely.
View Quote

@JoeMal

Can you post the name of the company that makes that switch/motion detector (or a picture) please?

I'd love to get one with that exact feature set.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Here you go. Says warehouse only, so you might have to check your store. I think I paid $20 each, bought 2. Plenty of light for a two car garage.

The remote is used to set them up initially. You can change the amount of light they put off, how long they stay on, and how sensitive the detection is. But once I set mine, I haven't needed the remote again.

https://www.costco.com/koda-46%22-led-linkable-shop-light-with-motion-sensor-and-remote.product.100658326.html
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here you go. Says warehouse only, so you might have to check your store. I think I paid $20 each, bought 2. Plenty of light for a two car garage.

The remote is used to set them up initially. You can change the amount of light they put off, how long they stay on, and how sensitive the detection is. But once I set mine, I haven't needed the remote again.

https://www.costco.com/koda-46%22-led-linkable-shop-light-with-motion-sensor-and-remote.product.100658326.html
View Quote
Awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Costco visit this evening...
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This

View Quote
This.  
I pulled a 2nd circuit for a couple of LEDs as a "night-light" in the garage, on an in-wall motion sensor.  Nice to not get blinded by the shop lights when I grab something out of the garage late at night.
In-wall timer for the outside lights.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
How about a switch, tied to a timer then tied to the light?

Not a light switch. But a microswitch to come on with door movement.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I did this for my inlaws. Insteon dry contact with Reed switch controlling an Insteon switch. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This.  
I pulled a 2nd circuit for a couple of LEDs as a "night-light" in the garage, on an in-wall motion sensor.  Nice to not get blinded by the shop lights when I grab something out of the garage late at night.
In-wall timer for the outside lights.  
View Quote
That is smart. Hmmm... perhaps I'll be re-wiring the garage this fall. It'd be nice to not turn on eight 4500 lumen lights if I'm just going into the garage to get a roll of paper towels.

Is your motion detector Lutron?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That is smart. Hmmm... perhaps I'll be re-wiring the garage this fall. It'd be nice to not turn on eight 4500 lumen lights if I'm just going into the garage to get a roll of paper towels.

Is your motion detector Lutron
View Quote
FYI the koda lights can be daisy chained but they still run independently on their motion sensors. So the only lights you trigger will activate, not all at once. So if your paper towels are close, you're good

I understand what you're saying though. Doesn't matter to me what you do, just wanted to give you that info
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FYI the koda lights can be daisy chained but they still run independently on their motion sensors. So the only lights you trigger will activate, not all at once. So if your paper towels are close, you're good

I understand what you're saying though. Doesn't matter to me what you do, just wanted to give you that info
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your motion detector Lutron

Thanks I appreciate that!

I think what I am going to do is get a Koda light for just inside the garage door to the house and see how I like it. That way I am just swapping one of my current (new) LED fixtures and not engaging in an involved wiring project. Long term I would love to do what @SnowMule has done.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:48:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I just got a couple of 4 ft led shop lights from Costco, mounted them on the joists. then used screw in outlets where the door opener bulbs were screwed in, and plugged the shop lights into those....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top