Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2020 12:05:10 PM EDT
Every few years, I have to purchase replacement garage shelves.  The old ones always start bowing, cracking, and eventually fail.  The failures aren't due to weather; it's purely the weight of the stuff on the shelves.

Any advice?  I don't want to buy another crappy shelving unit just to replace it 1-3 years down the road.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe look at some used pallet racking in your AO? If that's not an option, I'd bite the bullet and build some beef-cake shelving. How much weight per shelf are we talking here?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Check FB marketplace and CL for pallet racking. Lots of different sizes. Love mine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Home Depot has sales on Husky metal racks pretty often
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
French cleat system?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Build your own out of 2x4 and 1/2 OSB.

If you want to get fancy you can buy the nice strong tie corner supports so you don't have to drive screws all the way through 1 2x4 into another.   It looks nicer but also requires you to do little corner cuts on the OSB.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive been pretty happy with my rubbermaid fast track shelves - they hold quite a bit of weight assuming you hit studs when you install them.

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on DIY.  2x4s and 3/4 plywood.  With the thicker plywood, may not need the cleats , depending on shelf depth.

How to Build Garage Shelving - Easy, Cheap and Fast!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Use 3/4 plywood.  These clearly have a lot of weight on them, and do not sag.  The supports are 1/2 EMT conduit, with PVC pipe spacers in between shelves.  Super cheap and strong.

ETA:. These are hung with swing set chain.  In my pole barn, I have large shelves like this hung from the trusses, stacked five high.  No legs let's me put mowers and such under them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I use NSF chrome wire shelving on wheels.  Lots of places sell it in many sizes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I swear by these. It's the only "husky" product I've ever been happy with. I picked up 2 more for $159 each on sale a couple weeks ago.

Home Depot link:
Black 4-Tier Heavy Duty Industrial Welded Steel Garage Shelving Unit (77 in. W x 78 in. H x 24 in. D)

Costco sells what looks like an identical shelf setup for $159 also.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
what are you storing?

first thought, stop hoarding

really need to know what kind of weight & size stuff you are trying to store.
how deep can they be?

id look into building your own out of 2x4 or 4x4.
or look into gladiator shelves.   they have some that will support 1000-2000 lbs
or do the pallet racks

also check out garagejournal.com for ideas

Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swear by these. It's the only "husky" product I've ever been happy with. I picked up 2 more for $159 each on sale a couple weeks ago.

Home Depot link:
Black 4-Tier Heavy Duty Industrial Welded Steel Garage Shelving Unit (77 in. W x 78 in. H x 24 in. D)

View Quote

Lowes has the same fe the same price.  Just got one last week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home Depot link:

Those look pretty good.
Still should probably be attached to the wall to prevent tipping.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those look pretty good.
View Quote

They've got a hole in the foot to bolt it to the floor, but I'm going to secure it to the wall once I set it in it's permanent spot.  Quick and easy to assemble.  

I priced some used pallet racks in my AO.  I could piece together a 6ft high pallet rack,  10ft long, and 3 shelves for approximately the same price.  Slightly more maybe.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/181534/20201120_175550_jpg-1756669.JPG

Build your own out of 2x4 and 1/2 OSB.

If you want to get fancy you can buy the nice strong tie corner supports so you don't have to drive screws all the way through 1 2x4 into another.   It looks nicer but also requires you to do little corner cuts on the OSB.

View Quote

This. I did it and held probably thousands of pounds of gasoline and water in a side shed. Went up to the ceiling framing to tie in, too.

Use ply instead of OSB if there’s any moisture but with a saw, some 2x4 and sheets you can build something really solid even if you’re stupid like me
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got some dickmod keymod shelves in my garage.  They work well but I absolutely despise them and will be getting rid of them in the not to distant future.  In hindsight I'd sooner build my own out of 2x4's and 1/2" plywood.  That's way stronger and sturdier than these things.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you everybody!  I'll haunt the CL and FB sections for cheap used pallet racking.  If nothing, Costco's options seem good.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They've got a hole in the foot to bolt it to the floor, but I'm going to secure it to the wall once I set it in it's permanent spot.  Quick and easy to assemble.  

I priced some used pallet racks in my AO.  I could piece together a 6ft high pallet rack,  10ft long, and 3 shelves for approximately the same price.  Slightly more maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those look pretty good.

The problem with bolting to the floor is that the fastener is in withdrawal.
Its weakest possible direction.

Wall fasteners in withdrawal should also be avoided.
Attaching to the ceiling above the rack is about as good as you can get.
You can usually put the fastener in shear, its strongest direction.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's good info, but mine don't go all the way to the ceiling. Only go 6ft high.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's good info, but mine don't go all the way to the ceiling. Only go 6ft high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make the two outside corners on the end have a single 1x board that goes to the ceiling.
Fasten it to some bridging and the joist in the ceiling.

A few years ago a guy nearby had a huge warehouse of used books.
He was nearly killed when almost all the shelving units fell over one after another.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Make the two outside corners on the end have a single 1x board that goes to the ceiling.
Fasten it to some bridging and the joist in the ceiling.

A few years ago a guy nearby had a huge warehouse of used books.
He was nearly killed when almost all the shelving units fell over one after another.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Costco (like linked above) and Home Depot metal racks to hold my stuff and in my ammo container.

The Costco racks are built stronger and were similar in cost.  I sold my Home Depot ones when we moved -easily- for $100 each.
 The other I simply used a rubber mallet to break down and reassemble at the new place.

They also slide easily if you want to move them.

Another thing I liked is the ability to make longer continuous racks by using six uprights and 9 crossbars, which gave me enough leftovers to build a couple more racks.

I do replace the wire shelving with OSB and plywood when I have leftovers.

I also tie them into the wall by building an OSB and 2x4 shelf above them and running the diagonal supports tight through the top bar of the Costco racks.

I also use a similar, narrow metal rack from Menards in my ammo container, they are similarly beefy but not wuite as good, but narrower which is what I wanted.

Only one crossbar has formed a little surface rust over the last five years, it was almost touching a continuously damp floor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home Depot link:

I have one of these in the garage and 3 in the basement.  Much better than the little particle board ones I replaced.  Best part about these is you can adjust the shelves pretty easily and makes it nice if you have oddball size stuff to store.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Heres a pic of what I made from the leftovers, great junk collectors...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not hang from the ceiling? I did this last summer and love it.

Rated for 600lbs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Why not hang from the ceiling? I did this last summer and love it.

Rated for 600lbs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199968/20190713_155218_jpg-1773472.JPG
View Quote

I did this but I built it;
- Wire screens for shelves from Menards
- Threaded rod & Kindorf from HD or Lowes
- Fastenmaster Headlok lag screws into ceiling beams

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Same.  The killer is that the shelves are on wheels and can be moved while fully loaded with 300 lbs of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Cheapest plain jane shelving I have found is four & six inch concrete blocks and 5 ply plywood for shelves.

Can cut the plywood into 2, 3 or 4 shelves.

Blocks in my AO cost ~ 1 dollar each in pallet quantities and 5 ply for ~ 25 a sheet.

I like 3 24 inch shelves spaced two blocks high and then 18 or 12 inch one or two blocks high as needed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#30]
whats your skill set and tooling? cabinets is the way to go, but can be pricey if you have to buy them.... they are really easy to make, and 100% customizable if you have some basic tools and a little know how... Not to mention they hide the ugly inside, and keep your stuff dust free...  All you really need a straight edge, saw horses, circular saw. tape measure and a kreg jig, and you can get in the game... I prefer dados, for shelves, as your not relying on the fasteners for loads, and those can be made with a cheap router, and a bit.. takes more time but works more better... Youtube it... Its really not hard, and a few sheets of some actual good sanded ply wood will out last any store bought cabinet... The reason your shelves fail is because they are designed too... A company that makes shelves that actually last does not have a sustainable business model.. They would rather sell you a product that last 4-5 years for half the cost that it costs to sell you a product that you can pass on to you children because they will run out of customers... When you buy custom premium wood shelving/cabinets, your paying a lot for the skills/tools for some guy to make it.. Cut out the middle man, and make something that will stand the test of time, and sit back with a beer and enjoy something you create thats functional...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I have some neat 'drawers' that pivot on one end and go up between the ceiling joists.
One end pivots and the other drops for access.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top