BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there any cell service there?

I don't have firsthand experience with them but I think some of the cellular game cams send you a text with pic almost immediately upon sensing motion.  Could be useful
View Quote
Arlo Go is what you seek
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had the game camera up at the pond for a year, changing batteries when needed and checking the SD cards and downloading the pics every once in a while. Secured via two ratchet straps around a maple tree across from the feeder. No way it was clawed down; there’s actually a dark shadow on the bark of where the camera and straps were. No animal tracks other than deer and coon. No foot prints but it’s been raining/sleet since Sunday night.

I have one big lumber trail that leads back from the pond, going south towards the lower boundary of my property. I walked it today, didn’t see any noticeable tracks, but it’s guaranteed that’s the way he came, only other road/trail from the north end of the pond zig-zags down the mountain from the pond and ends behind my chicken coop/livestock barn.

I checked my posted signs north and south and checked the cattle farmer. 1/2 mile past the south fence of my property (south of the hobo trailer) is a road, I know the family on the corner. Never driven up past their house. Went down it half mile east, there was a series of eight or nine lots, each a hundred or more yards apart. Each lot had an ancient trailer and from three to ten shitbox beat to Hell cars in each yard, most in various non running states. Holy shit, never knew these were here. Realtor never mentioned it (no shit. Looks like a Kentucky version of Texas chainsaw massacre combined with the Avery family from ‘Making a Murderer’.). They’d have to climb over the fence into the 3-4 acre cattle field, over a fence into my property, then hike north about 3/4 mile to come up to my pond. I’m 99% sure that where they’re coming from. Earliest day I can go up there for any length of time is Friday but I wanted to study for my test. Have to start at the SW corner and hike all the way across the south fence line, post some more signs, not that it would deter them. Fucking hell.

Last October somebody killed my male pig, Pig Lebowski, during bow season. He was like a puppy, he’d walk up to anybody and flop on his belly. Thought it was the neighbor north of me, he’s got a permanent tripod stand on the property line facing into my property. Dude (my pig) would take the piglets up there to root for acorns. He went up and the pigs came back without him. I went up, found the stand on neighbors property line and a big gut pile. Went to the neighbor’s hopping mad and he claimed to know nothing about the pig (even though there was a gut pile by HIS stand.

I’m always armed on my property, pistol and my 5.56 MVP (I like it for deer because it’s got a 4-12x Vortex) but I’m switching to either one of my AR’s or (if I’m feeling particularly cranky) my SOCOM 16. Goddamn fucking poachers. If I had the time I’d stake out the pond but I don’t have 10 free hours a day to hide myself on the chance the asshole comes back. He probably left the feeder because he was on foot and didn’t want to carry it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Get 2 new cameras one in the same old place and one covering the first one so when they steal it you have them on camera.
Use a black out camera so humans cant see it.
View Quote
I've only read a few post so someone else may have mentioned it.  It's very possible they were there at night with night vision and noticed the IR.  I've seen it happen.  I believe one was stolen so two more were put up where we knew they were driving in, very well hidden and secured.  They found both and broke one decent size tree in half and pulled some metal post that used to secure a gate way over be for the steal cable broke.

On the other hand, sounds like OP has a lot of property to bury things on and not very convenient for others to get to.. so there's that.

Edit:  Second thought, two cameras looking at the same location with the over watch camera well hidden, IR emitter either disabled or covered up and close enough to see the IR from the other camera would do the trick at seeing them, the direction they came from and likely mode of transportation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wasn't me
View Quote
J'accuse!!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you need to move someplace more rural like me, none of my cameras have disappeared.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
1. Install game camera on tree.

2. Dig tiger pit behind tree.

3. Fill in tiger pit a few days later.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL.....Buys land a whole five years ago and thinks nobody has ever been there......Sorry Bud but I suspect "good-ol-boys" in the area have been hunting it or maybe just walking in and fishing in the pond for generations.

BTW......Farmer John next door would not tell you even if he knew.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Covert Blackhawk LTE
View Quote
What is the monthly charge for that service?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
An old boss of mine over in Missouri told me how he dealt with trespassers and poachers on his land.

He has some class III goodies, so he would load up a BAR with all tracer rounds.  He'd go out into his woods and in what he knew was a safe direction he would let'er rip.

Then a few seconds later he'd hear a truck start and the headlights come on and he'd watch it high tail it out of there.

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Granted it was way spendy, but I bought 3 Arlo Go's at $432 each.

Verizon charges me about $30 a month total for all three.

I can watch the post man deliver mail to my house everyday...

Or watch the squirrel crawling in the gutter above the back door.

Or watch my dogs inside.

All via the Arlo Go app on my phone...and I can set each camera to "buzz" my phone on either sound or motion detection.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Granted it was way spendy, but I bought 3 Arlo Go's at $432 each.

Verizon charges me about $30 a month total for all three.

I can watch the post man deliver mail to my house everyday...

Or watch the squirrel crawling in the gutter above the back door.

Or watch my dogs inside.

All via the Arlo Go app on my phone...and I can set each camera to "buzz" my phone on either sound or motion detection.
View Quote
Wow ... thanks for the post.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably a Sasquatch that mistakenly got his image taken on your cam.  He either had to remove the evidence or kill OP.
View Quote
OP is leaving a candy bowl for them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow ... thanks for the post.
View Quote
I don't have internet hard piped to the house, so that left out the cheaper WiFi camera systems.

And with Arlo Go, there are no wires to run or holes to drill.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]
cell capable camera or Just glue a tile to the inside of the camera and stalk the thief
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Probably a Sasquatch that mistakenly got his image taken on your cam.  He either had to remove the evidence or kill OP.
View Quote
Dam this place.
There’s too many smartasses here constantly stealing my thunder.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, it caught me crapping.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]
It was your step son.  He stole it to sell so he could pay for his car registration.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well there is your problem right there.  You asked God to damn it!  Sometimes He takes people up on their offers.  If I were you, I would make sure my house has enough fire insurance on it as He May oblige your request.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends where you want to go with this and what level of drama you want.
The guy that "likely" killed your pig has a history of not respecting your property and livestock. I'd likely focus efforts along lines of approach from his land.
Put some UV theft powder on your field items and refresh it regularly. Then go say hello to the neighbors at night and shine a blacklight at their hands, door knobs, etc.
There are improvised trip wire alarms that could announce a trespasser.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't read the whole thread but some thoughts OP.

My game cams are wireless (both cellular and/or wifi) They also have SD cards too of course.  They can shoot a signal just on wifi about a mile depending on terrain and yours sounds pretty rough so maybe 1/2 mile given what you describe.  But what they do is send the data immediately back to your base station PC (that I keep running all the time) so if anyone climbs up there to steal it they'll have their picture taken and sent to me.  They aren't cheap but they work great for just such a scenario.

But also that sounds like black bear country.  Is it possible a black bear climbed up there and and got it and maybe walked off with it?  Any tracks or other evidence of any kind around where it was mounted?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Haven't read the whole thread but some thoughts OP.

My game cams are wireless (both cellular and/or wifi) They also have SD cards too of course.  They can shoot a signal just on wifi about a mile depending on terrain and yours sounds pretty rough so maybe 1/2 mile given what you describe.  But what they do is send the data immediately back to your base station PC (that I keep running all the time) so if anyone climbs up there to steal it they'll have their picture taken and sent to me.  They aren't cheap but they work great for just such a scenario.

But also that sounds like black bear country.  Is it possible a black bear climbed up there and and got it and maybe walked off with it?  Any tracks or other evidence of any kind around where it was mounted?
View Quote
Link to game cams that can do wi-fi over a mile?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
They say two miles but that seems optimistic to me.  Maybe under ideal conditions but 1/2 mile isn't hard and the nice thing is that they can daisy chain off each other with multiples.  So you could in theory go 250 miles with each one sending to the next and forwarding it on.

Buckeycam
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They say two miles but that seems optimistic to me.  Maybe under ideal conditions but 1/2 mile isn't hard and the nice thing is that they can daisy chain off each other with multiples.  So you could in theory go 250 miles with each one sending to the next and forwarding it on.

Buckeycam
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckeycam
$900?!?!?!??!?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
$900?!?!?!??!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckeycam
$900?!?!?!??!?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Like I said. They ain't cheap. But you'll get a picture even if somebody steals it. Probably several. They are used I think mostly by border control in the southwest, at least that is their biggest market.

ETA: If you buy a $75 camera that you have to visit periodically, and climb to,  you'll have no way of knowing if it was a thief or hell who knows what happened? And that is the point of these. You'll want to know and they do that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Any chance you left it lying there after installing the new batteries?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Judging by how much effort they had to put in to get to the center of your property and steal your cam, I'd be concerned about general security around the house and any other buildings nearby. I'd suggest improving your home security a bit. Maybe install some wireless wifi indoor/outdoor cams and motion and glass breaking detectors from a company like Nest or Arlo. Maybe beef the locks up a bit and install heavy duty door frames on the entrances and exits of the house. Make sure your SO is on alert at all times if she's home alone during the day. I'd insist everyone carry a firearm at all times. There are a few useful threads on arfcom about home security and protecting against home invasions and robberies if you do some searching.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm so pissed I can't even think straight. Huge test Monday morning plus gun season opens. Last thing I need is to worry about this crap. Up until last year there was some unemployed hobo redneck living on the southern neighbors land in a shitty little trailer, running an extension cord to the neighbors house. Asshole had a dozen deer heads with velvet racks stuck up on his fence in late August, out of season. I used to see him on the game cam and I had to tear the neighbor a new one. Weird hermit up and moved away, trailer is empty now. The City Attorney's kid plays on my daughter's soccer team, at a game I mentioned the guy and he knows him, guy's in jail now for some stupid hillbilly nonsense. I went by the old trailer today and it was uninhabited. I don't have time to hike my whole perimeter, it took me four or five hours the last time I did it and I just don't have the time. It rained and snowed the last three days, doubt there's much in the way of tracks. None by the camera except for deer and raccoon, there's a lot of clay in the soil and the tracks don't wash out like down in the woods.

Cell service is good up there, might have to invest in some new cameras but really didn't want to do that right now, too many other bills to pay. Fuck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:34:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dang beat me to it

Definitely could maybe possibly be legitimate ‘squatch activity. Your game cam probably caught one on camera and they hate that so it or once more removed the camera.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dang beat me to it

Definitely could maybe possibly be legitimate ‘squatch activity. Your game cam probably caught one on camera and they hate that so it or once more removed the camera.
View Quote
If it is a Sasquatch, and it certainly could be, they would have removed the camera to get to the food.  If OP is habituating them, he is going to get house calls when he misses a feeding.

EDIT: This is now a Bigfoot thread.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:03:27 AM EDT
[#32]
You need an experienced Indian tracker.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gun season opening up?

You've got a poacher, OP.
View Quote
Even if it has rained if you can find the daylight hours you should be able to find some remains of a trail, especially if the areas they would be entering your land are limited. I would invest in more cameras and spend some time in your woods (armed) this weekend. Whoever it is, they are the worst type of asshole. I detest people who don't respect private property, loath thieves and they are doubtlessly a poacher to boot. Someone that morally bankrupt will probably give you trouble if you catch them, you might consider giving the sheriff/game warden a call. The game warden may want to look into it and it would be good if the sheriff knows about it. Things may go south when you catch the POS.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I keep a feeder and game camera on my pond at the center of my property. West side of my land is cliffs 70’—100’ High, Same for the north end. East side is forest bordering my neighbor’s cattle farm, and has livestock fence with two strands barbed st the top. Same for south side. All mountains, you’d have to climb two really steep ridges and cross a deep ravine and creek to get to the interior. Only car access would be through the single gap in the west cliffs where my driveway goes to my house.

Pond is in top of mountain, 1/2 mile southeast of my house. Only 4-Wheeler trail goes up to the pond from my driveway, all heavily forested. Filled the feeder last Friday, switched batteries and SD cards on the camera. Went up this morning to fill the feeder and the camera facing it is gone. Motherfuckers.

There’s no ‘casual’ access to my land, it’s all fenced, posted, heavily forested steep mountain and ravines with creeks at the low spots. Checked with the cattle farmer, he hasn’t seen anyone coming through his fields. Guy north of me is a dick but he doesn’t climb cliffs, it would be one hell of a trek to enter there and make it down to my pond—Ice only done it once when I bought the land five years ago.

I fucking hate poachers and I fucking hate thieves. Goddamn it. If they make it up to my pond, what’s stopping them from fucking around my livestock, my barn or my goddamned house. Closest neighbor (asshole to north) is 1/2 mile away. Farmer to east is about a mile away as the crow flies but off another road that comes from us far side.
View Quote
I'd bet you and I could share a beer together and get along just fine. I hate the city, and the wife and I are finally at the retirement stage of our life where we talk about moving to the peace and quiet of some acreage where people still earn a living working the land while honoring God and Country.  But darn it seems like every time we find a nice old house on 10 acres somewhere, there's always some fucking hillbilly in a shack with his dogs running loose and an old rusted 1998 truck parked next to his boat that's covered with a blue tarp. If it's not Mr. JoBob hillbilly, then it's those little shacks up and down the road that look like the direct descendants of Uncle Tom are still living there. Don't know what's worse; the godless thugs of the city, or the inbreds in them their hills of deliverance? LOL  It sucks to have a little bit of cooth in you to know the difference between wholesome "country" living and whiskey style backwoods "existing"

Good luck to you, and thanks for reminding me that all isn't peace and neighborly love that I can expect out in the country. LOL
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Bigfoot
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#37]
PEWS TIME....
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#38]
What bothers me the most is that my daughters, 16 and 12, have been bow hunting, they have the run of the property. Oldest watches the younger kids in the afternoons when wife and I have clinical rotations. Luckily my idiot stepson is always there sleeping on the recliner in the den. Otherwise I’d be worried.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Swire
View Quote
An affordable way to capture video and secure your camera is this.  Total cost for everything about $100.  Put one camera watching what you want to watch and another camera watching the area around the first camera.  It is my default camera configuration now on the yard for my project house.

This camera, it will drop down to $50 in price if you watch it. [url]https://www.amazon.com/Primos-12MP-Low-Glow-Proof/dp/B001P5G6T8/[/ur]

Attachment Attached File

This lock box $31.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016NMV4FS/

Attachment Attached File

This cable lock $15 but you can buy a 4 pack all keyed the same cheaper.  These are substantial cables and locks.  The cable just fits through the front loops on the camera.
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Adjustable-Camouflage-8418DCAMO/dp/B000LZRKFC/

Attachment Attached File

Kids Steal No Trespassing Sign

Here is how the camera works at night.

Battery Thieves! Carrying batteries through a fenced in back yard at 4:30 AM.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#40]
This is a difficult subject but I'm going to go there.  You bought property and moved there from outside the community, right?  In other words, "You ain't from around here."  Nobody is going to tell you shit.  And even if you're the nicest guy in the world they aren't going to instantly like you, or even respect you, just because you put down money on some land.  Your bitching about people living in trailers is pretty strong evidence that you have certain expectations about what the locals should do to be more pleasing to you.  We call that Big City Thinking.

Either start making some friends or live on a miserable island.  People think living in the country is just like buying a super-size lot in an HOA suburb, it isn't.  Especially when by living in the country you mean in rural Kentucky.

I hope I'm wrong.  I am quite often.  But I know hillbillies and the way they view the world.  You're either with them, or you ain't.  It's not really about the trail camera with them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Gotta have game cams on your game cam on your game cams bro  
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there any cell service there?

I don't have firsthand experience with them but I think some of the cellular game cams send you a text with pic almost immediately upon sensing motion.  Could be useful
View Quote
Yep. Caught a few on my place that way. Covert brand trail cameras keep everyone honest. The look on them fkers faces when the sheriff showed up was worth every penny I paid for the camera.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am uncertain if you have bears in your area, but in my area when I set up game cams I have to wear brand new rubber gloves to make sure I don’t get any food sent on the camera. If I don’t and it gets a smell on it a bear will rip it off.

ETA:  Before you tell me that it had a cable so it wouldn’t be ripped off, I have had bears nearly flatten 55 gallon drums when they couldn’t get their paw inside the food hole.
View Quote
I came to suggest bears. They can smell the period blood so you know they can smell your grubby hands.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#44]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC73oMNcy0Y

https://www.sirchie.com/forensics/theft-fraud-detection/fluorescent-uv-marking.html
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
 I love this place.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Covert Blackhawk LTE
$7.99
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Are these worth $30?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10ea-TRIP-WIRE-ALARMS-perimeter-alarm-DIY-Signaling-Device-Prepper/202424222393

Jeepnstein reminds me of something.
Back in the 1970s, my family bought 80 acres from an absentee owner who rented it out to a guy who lived 3/4 mile away.
The whole neighborhood treated it as a public park.
After we started farming it, there were the neighbors we gave permission to hunt on it, and everybody else who still did whatever they wanted.
Then ten years later we built a house on the farm and moved there. And you know, our living on our own fucking land upset some trespassers who thought they had more rights to the land we paid for and farmed for a decade than we did. Only major problem was with the guy who had been farming the land before us, and who kept my parents from buying it for a year while he led the previous owner to believe he might buy it from her. Reporting him for poaching got him out of our woods, but it made him a bit resentful. Fortunately his wife got tired of him about the same time my dad got tired of him and he was gone.

Who knows what we might have learned if we'd had game cams 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Squatch thread
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Squatch thread
View Quote
It has potential, making popcorn now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Last October somebody killed my male pig, Pig Lebowski, during bow season. He was like a puppy, he’d walk up to anybody and flop on his belly. Thought it was the neighbor north of me, he’s got a permanent tripod stand on the property line facing into my property. Dude (my pig) would take the piglets up there to root for acorns. He went up and the pigs came back without him.

it.
View Quote
You let pigs run loose, in deer season, and wonder why the neighbors are "dicks"???
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top