Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 9:10:03 PM EDT
Got a new HP AMD laptop w/Win10. Installed a couple of older games I still play (like Diablo2) and was pleasantly surprised to see the game window open at the proper aspect ratio instead of being stretched horizontally to 16x9.
Yesterday had some unusual visual glitch while surfing the 'net, had to reboot to recover.
Everything seems to be just as it was before, except that now the older games are stretched instead of maintaining their 4x3 aspect ratios. I've tried everything I can find in the Radeon/Catalyst controls, but nothing helps.

Any Win10 gurus know how I can get the older games back to displaying at their proper aspect ratios? Thx!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Display > GPU Scaling > Maintain Aspect Ratio

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-68
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Display > GPU Scaling > Maintain Aspect Ratio
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-68
View Quote
Already tried that, no go...
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Right click on the Diablo II: Lord of Destruction shortcut and choose properties. In the target box after the last quotation, press the space bar once and type in -w

Your target line should look something like "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w

When you start the game, the game should now be in a window. If you don't want it any more, you will have to exit out of the game and delete the -w from the shortcut.

Make sure that you have a space between the .exe" and the -w.

To expand it further after maximizing the window, you can add -nofixaspect after the -w.

Your target line would look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Diablo II\Diablo II.exe" -w -nofixaspect

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20043656788
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Thx! It now has the proper aspect ratio but graphics quality seems to suffer when I max the window (sigh...)
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You could keep checking around someone might have a better solution or maybe a mod but the game was released in 2000...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could keep checking around someone might have a better solution or maybe a mod but the game was released in 2000...
View Quote
Understood, but the games were all playing at the proper aspect ratio before the video glitch. Thx for your help!

Tomac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top