Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 11:27:04 AM EDT
We do a lot of riding in the Ozarks.  Mulberry mountain, etc.  We've been to Moab as well..  Looking for something a bit better than the blister pack of walkies..  I've seen the Rugged Radios, but I'm baffled with needing a license, cost difference in a $70 handheld vs. a $300 portable, etc.

We ride in groups of anywhere from 3 to 15 machines.  Always a pain trying to keep everyone in the rearview, making sure the caboose made it up the hill, through the mudhole, etc.  Not to mention the beer stop, piss break, mechanical problems, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, and possibly give me some insight of what I'm looking for?  We've all got soundbars and usually listen to tunes while riding.  Not looking for comms/headsets, just an easy form of communication.

Thx!
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 12:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Greenspan] [#1]
Handhelds will do 5w mobile will do 50w. Great handhelds are $150, great mobile meaning wired in car are $400.

License is easy just pay for it no test counts for whole family. The hardest part is navigating FCC website

Buy a wouxun 935G for handheld
Buy a wouxun 1000G for mobile

You will be able to talk to people on thwir shitty blister packs as well although they will go out of range faster.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh and the big difference with the higher end stuff is sound quality and ability to use repeaters which will really extend your range. Then the really higher end can use multiple repeaters on the same freq. So basically just get the radios i said to get, convince your group to get same or similar and all get the GMRS lic which is basically $7 a year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have an issue hearing the radio over wind noise/engine/ stereo, etc?
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:
Do you have an issue hearing the radio over wind noise/engine/ stereo, etc?
View Quote

They are typically louder than a cell phone
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
I use Beofeng gmrs radios. They have uv5 version that is gmrs specific, but uses all the same accessories as the HAM version. I pushed them to talk to my FIL at his place, which is a few miles away through hills and trees and such.

Cheap, available, work good enough. Still need to 3d print a holder for it for the pioneer
View Quote

Those will certainly work and are good value. Not the same as a car wired 50w, but for the price I can't hate them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#7]
I have TYT TH8600 radios in my RZR and on my ATV.  Program them to GMRS and FRS and MURS frequencies and you can talk a pretty long ways.  I have Tram antennas mounted on the ATV and RZR.  My favorite part is they are waterproof.  I can wash the ATV and the RZR with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
I have TYT TH8600 radios in my RZR and on my ATV.  Program them to GMRS and FRS and MURS frequencies and you can talk a pretty long ways.  I have Tram antennas mounted on the ATV and RZR.  My favorite part is they are waterproof.  I can wash the ATV and the RZR with no issues.
View Quote

This.  The 8600 is a good little radio.. I try and put nothing in my sxs that can’t get wet … do note it advisable to remove the mic prior to washing, well don’t spray it directly anyway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kschwan:

This.  The 8600 is a good little radio.. I try and put nothing in my sxs that can’t get wet … do note it advisable to remove the mic prior to washing, well don’t spray it directly anyway.
View Quote

I haven’t had any issues washing the units and getting the mics wet although I generally keep most water away from them. What kind of issues have you seen with the radios and water?
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]

I haven’t had any issues washing the units and getting the mics wet although I generally keep most water away from them. What kind of issues have you seen with the radios and water?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Just the Mic, , they will sometimes go bad as well if you let them swing .  Another one is like $22  so I keep a spare.   the radio itself I have not had any issues with
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Just the Mic, , they will sometimes go bad as well if you let them swing .  Another one is like $22  so I keep a spare.   the radio itself I have not had any issues with
View Quote

Gotcha. I keep a few spare mics around too but haven’t had to replace one…..yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:
Handhelds will do 5w mobile will do 50w. Great handhelds are $150, great mobile meaning wired in car are $400.

License is easy just pay for it no test counts for whole family. The hardest part is navigating FCC website

You will be able to talk to people on thwir shitty blister packs as well although they will go out of range faster.
View Quote

Have 2 of the wouxun 1000G. This is what you seek if you want to be able to use repeaters that use 2 different codes for send/receive. If you don't care about repeaters then you can go midway base stations.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve been looking at the Midlands for installing in my 4Runner, with a low profile antenna on my roof rack
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
I've been looking at the Midlands for installing in my 4Runner, with a low profile antenna on my roof rack
View Quote
I ended up getting the  Midland MXT-275.  Mainly for the size, and all the input controls can be done off of the hand mic.  Another was the price point.  I paid $165 from buytwowayradios.com.  I'm simply running on simplex, talking car to car.  No real need to hit a repeater, or long distance.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Long time HAM… just got my GMRS ticket and am now trying to get my friends to get their GMRS FCC licenses so we can keep in touch.   Putting a radio in my wife and son’s car for Emcom and keeping a couple of extras for caravan hand outs.  

Easiest way for non tech people to be able to use UHF and have something useful for communication needs.   We spend a lot on other stuff and think a small budget for comms is essential part of the whole thing.  

We go off-roading and target shooting in a valley outside of a Las Vegas area and there is no cel phone service and at least a radio can work if we need it.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Greenspan:

View Quote
I'll second what he said. Get your GMRS license to start with. The license is $35 and good for ten years. Definietly go with the Wouxun radios. I have the KG935G Plus, to KG1000G Plus radios, and the KG-XS20G Plus. All have been great for me. I run one 1000G Plus as my base station and the other is in my vehicle. I run the XS20G (20 watt) in my SxS since it is IP rated for water and dust. I can hit the local repeater that is 21.5 miles away with my KG935G with ease while outside. I can sometimes use the 935G inside too.

I am using a 20 watt Midland SPK100 speaker hooked to the XS20G and I can hear it fine while riding around in the SxS.

I know that the TYT TH-8600 was mentioned, but it is a HAM radio and not certified for use with GMRS. I know a lot of people don't worry about that and do it anyway. And yes I plan on getting one myself and unlocking it for GMRS. BUT I do have both my amateur and GMRS licenses too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#17]
The group I ride with all use the MXT 575’s. It’s a great radio. I personally use the 6DB gain midland antennae and have had great success with it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:19:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a MTX-275 with the antenna through the roof and have been highly impressed with its performance.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Btech GMRS-V1  which was recommended.  I linked a review since I haven't used it much.  Apparently the new model is a V2.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Local dealer/installer has Icom in stock.

This is a mobile application.

Thoughts or experiences?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Currently:
Local dealer/installer has Icom in stock.

This is a mobile application.

Thoughts or experiences?
View Quote
Icom makes good radios. Just remember that they are for amateur bands so you would need an amateur license.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Icom makes good radios. Just remember that they are for amateur bands so you would need an amateur license.
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.  

Not interested at this time to get into ham.  

Willing to obtain licensing for GMRS and MURS.

Looking for a vehicle mounted mobile radio(s) that can handle both for off road ATV and my 4wd to go fishing in the deep woods.

Scanning is important to monitor the huge logging trucks on company roads.  (They have full right of way.)

ATV requires weatherproofing, won’t be used as a boat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Currently:

Thanks for the clarification.  

Not interested at this time to get into ham.  

Willing to obtain licensing for GMRS and MURS.

Looking for a vehicle mounted mobile radio(s) that can handle both for off road ATV and my 4wd to go fishing in the deep woods.

Scanning is important to monitor the huge logging trucks on company roads.  (They have full right of way.)

ATV requires weatherproofing, won't be used as a boat.
View Quote
You're welcome.

I'll recommend the Wouxun KG-XS20G. It is perfect for ATV/UTV use since it is IP rated for dust and water. Even though it is a 20 watt radio, I have no issues getting into the local GMRS repeater that is 21.5 miles away using a Comet 2x4SR antenna.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
You're welcome.

I'll recommend the Wouxun KG-XS20G. It is perfect for ATV/UTV use since it is IP rated for dust and water. Even though it is a 20 watt radio, I have no issues getting into the local GMRS repeater that is 21.5 miles away using a Comet 2x4SR antenna.
View Quote

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top