Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2019 10:00:28 PM EDT
After spraining my MCL, I was researching the purchase of a GHD machine, which apparently can help prevent injuries (main concern) in addition to improving lifts (secondary for me).

Does anyone here have and use one?  Thoughts?  I know it's a big expense and takes up some real estate, but the fact that I can use it for injury prevention w/ GH raises, back extensions, and poor-mans reverse hypers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple sets of very deep, very slow, stiff legged deadlifts with dumbells are my prescription.  No weird hyper extensions and helps your other lifts by increasing flexibility and grip strength.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't see them used much at the gym.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a cheap Roman chair on Craigslist. Ordered Titans ghd pads and cut a piece of plate steel and bolted them to it and made one for about $100. My wife uses it a lot. I never have.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
For me after outfitting a gym with- quality bar and plates, squat rack, maybe a sled, I would consider one. It's good for accessory work (GH raises, back/hip extensions, GHD situps) but that's pretty much all it's good for. If you have the space and the money go for it, but it would be far secondary. Just a "nice to have"
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a nice used one from a gym that had some extras from a competition. I really liked them after hurting my back, but i haven't used mine in a year or two. So I'd get one if you have space and can get a good deal on one, but I wouldn't spend $1000 on a new one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Found a used Rogue Abrams 2.0 for $300 bucks. It was like new so I picked it up. Definitely better than $800 shipped from Rogue.

I had no idea how weak my hamstrings were until trying an unassisted GH raise. It’s going to be a while before mastering this movement.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Found a used Rogue Abrams 2.0 for $300 bucks. It was like new so I picked it up. Definitely better than $800 shipped from Rogue.

I had no idea how weak my hamstrings were until trying an unassisted GH raise. It’s going to be a while before mastering this movement.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Thats a great deal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The closest thing to a good workout I've gotten out of mine was the day I carried it down to the basement. It's a convenient place to hang towels and lifting belts though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The closest thing to a good workout I've gotten out of mine was the day I carried it down to the basement. It's a convenient place to hang towels and lifting belts though.
View Quote
Never done GH raises?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never done GH raises?
View Quote
Yeah, now and again. I don't know...maybe I just need to do more of them, more often.

At first I thought it would be great for my back, but I quickly learned it was not. I can use it without pain now but I just don't feel like it's doing much me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, now and again. I don't know...maybe I just need to do more of them, more often.

At first I thought it would be great for my back, but I quickly learned it was not. I can use it without pain now but I just don't feel like it's doing much me.
View Quote
Try different adjustments.  I did not get much until I moved the foot pad up and the knee pad really close to my knees.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
A slight adjustment changes it from GHD extensions (glutes/hamstrings) and back extensions (low back). Maybe you got them mixed up, they look similiar but are very different.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll give it another go. Today is deadlift day...so probably not today.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
My gym bought one from titan on sale for around $400. It’s an obvious Abraham knock off. Well worth the money. Not worth it for a grand. Not to me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top