Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 3:40:27 PM EDT
It's a lot of money for a SUV, even on the used market, but drives like a tank, feels like a tank, but seems like a poor value compared to the rest of the MB lineup.  Always been on the fence with these.  Have a C63 I'm looking to trade, and it's a hard pill to swallow to think you'd pay almost the same price for a used G63 as compared to a brand new E63S, M5, etc.  Not sure if the value is there? Cool factor, debatable hmm.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I don't get it.  Benz makes good shit, but I just can't figure out the Gwagon.  Small, super pricey, honestly pretty fugly, I'm sure it's capable, but to me it seems to reinforce the idea "jack of all trades is master of none."

I'd rather have a sedan or coupe, and then have a second vehicle like a Suburban/Yukon XL Denali or the new extended Navigator.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they're awesome, albeit strange in today's current lineup.  A bit like buying a Land Rover Defender.

If I were to buy one it would be with the intent to own it forever.  I dont think the value is there other than if you simply want it.  Its unique and has a kickass engine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I think this is definitely one of those vehicles where you either love it or hate it.  I was in the hate it, looks ugly, don't get it camp for a long while and I find myself switching after going for a short test drive.  One of the appeals of it's retro boxy looks is it will never go out of style since it's been out of style for the last 20 years aha!

But I agree it's unique, but not as roomy inside as I thought by looking at it.  If trying to use logic or common sense to buy the G, I think all good senses would say to stay away.  But not everything has to make sense :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You will not be happy going from a very sporty car to a solid axle suv.  The g is fast in a straight line. That's all it does.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Around here we use them as cake wagons
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup the G is cool but it really has no rhyme or reason.

It's a fast sled though.

Someone already got himself killed with one of the few here, looks like he overcooked it badly on a provincial road and crashed in a field.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I would buy one. for 15k.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:20:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will not be happy going from a very sporty car to a solid axle suv.  The g is fast in a straight line. That's all it does.
View Quote
False.

I have a G350D Professional and a 911 GT3 Touring.  They're the absolute best cars I've ever owned which includes a long line of sports cars and Ford trucks.  They're both exceptional cars to own and events to drive - obviously in different ways.

What I wouldn't be happy is going from a very sporty car to a lessor, cheaper sports car.

I equate what you're saying to be comparable to "if you drive a Ferrari you wouldn't enjoy driving around in an Abrams tank."  Maybe that analogy will help you realize how wrong your comment is.

That's not all the G does either.  The G goes through beat up poorly kept roads like an absolute champ and allows me to explore ancient German castles with my dogs and girlfriend.  I equate my G to a luxury, higher-end Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Benz dealer tech here.I love them,as stated some hate them.Quirky issues.
Main complaints are rough ride,(its a truck) and steering is hard to turn and shimmy..(its a truck)
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Go look at a new Land Cruiser
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go look at a new Land Cruiser
View Quote
You Toyota fan boys are losing your edge.  Almost 20 hours before you shit on a car thread.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

False.

I have a G350D Professional and a 911 GT3 Touring.  They're the absolute best cars I've ever owned which includes a long line of sports cars and Ford trucks.  They're both exceptional cars to own and events to drive - obviously in different ways.

What I wouldn't be happy is going from a very sporty car to a lessor, cheaper sports car.

I equate what you're saying to be comparable to "if you drive a Ferrari you wouldn't enjoy driving around in an Abrams tank."  Maybe that analogy will help you realize how wrong your comment is.

That's not all the G does either.  The G goes through beat up poorly kept roads like an absolute champ and allows me to explore ancient German castles with my dogs and girlfriend.  I equate my G to a luxury, higher-end Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
View Quote
There is nothing wrong or false about my statement.  You have a sports car AND a stripped down Euro spec G.  OP would be trading an AMG car for an SUV.  He would be losing the ability to truly drive fast, and gaining the ability to use an entire tank of fuel in four minutes.  I seriously doubt that a few months down the road there wouldn't be serious regret.  If he could have both,  then it wouldn't be a big deal.  In a strictly one or the other deal, the car makes a lot more sense.  A G63 has little or no use off road, and because it was purpose built for off road use, is not particularly good ON the road.  A GLE63 or GLS63 is a far better choice.  They just lack the classic look of the G.  That classic look comes at a great deal of expense in other areas.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong or false about my statement.

A G63 has little or no use off road, and because it was purpose built for off road use, is not particularly good ON the road.  A GLE63 or GLS63 is a far better choice.  They just lack the classic look of the G.  That classic look comes at a great deal of expense in other areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong or false about my statement.

A G63 has little or no use off road, and because it was purpose built for off road use, is not particularly good ON the road.  A GLE63 or GLS63 is a far better choice.  They just lack the classic look of the G.  That classic look comes at a great deal of expense in other areas.
Yet before you said,

Quoted:
The g is fast in a straight line. That's all it does.
...but now you've admitted that it's a purpose built off-road vehicle so obviously it does a lot more than drive in a straight line.  I'd add it's also fun as hell to drive, looks great, and grabs the right kind of attention.  A GLE63 or GLS63 is an ugly boring SUV for clueless soccer moms with rich husbands.

As to not being good on the road I disagree.  Mine is great for cruising on the autobahn.  The guys in their G63's passing me on the autobahn don't seem to have an issue either.  The only thing it sucks at is driving through roads in tight European cities; a total non-issue in most of America.  I actually prefer driving it to my A45 AMG and usually pick it over the GT3 because of the extra utility.

Quite frankly if I had to choose between a middle of the road sports car like an M5 or a G I'd choose the G every time.  It's simply a more special vehicle and you can use it every day for everything - just like a Wrangler.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I test drove one.  So that’s my brief experience (very brief), I had it for a weekend.  I thought the road noise was unacceptable.  My car at the time was a Cayenne.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yet before you said,

...but now you've admitted that it's a purpose built off-road vehicle so obviously it does a lot more than drive in a straight line.  I'd add it's also fun as hell to drive, looks great, and grabs the right kind of attention.  A GLE63 or GLS63 is an ugly boring SUV for clueless soccer moms with rich husbands.

As to not being good on the road I disagree.  Mine is great for cruising on the autobahn.  The guys in their G63's passing me on the autobahn don't seem to have an issue either.  The only thing it sucks at is driving through roads in tight European cities; a total non-issue in most of America.  I actually prefer driving it to my A45 AMG and usually pick it over the GT3 because of the extra utility.

Quite frankly if I had to choose between a middle of the road sports car like an M5 or a G I'd choose the G every time.  It's simply a more special vehicle and you can use it every day for everything - just like a Wrangler.
View Quote
The G is a purpose built off road vehicle.  Yet when you lower the ride.height, add fiberglass bumpers with large openings for its multiple!e additional radiators, put street tires and various other things that cripple its off road ability it is no longer suitable for the purpose of off roading.  Thus it becomes less useful for anything, except going fast in a straight line.

P!ease stop trying to twist my words to support your point.  I get that you have some enthusiasm for your personal choice of a specific model that is substantially different than the one being discussed.  I also have a great deal of experience with the models that OP is considering.  In my opinion the G63 is a giant compromise, in comparison to a more purpose built car.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I also have a great deal of experience with the models that OP is considering.  
View Quote
Your experience seems to differ from everyone that I know that has one.  While I can accept that not everyone is going to like the G, after seeing the laughable vehicles you've recommended in its stead, I wouldn't recommend anyone follow your advice (maybe soccer moms).

Don't buy a G63 if you want to off-road, you might have to buy some new tires
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Neither of which are laughable.  Your taste in automobiles is not everything to everyone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither of which are laughable.  Your taste in automobiles is not everything to everyone.
View Quote
This isn't a forum for soccer moms asking advice on what car they should buy.  I can only conclude from having direct knowledge of the cars in question that you typed in the wrong web address.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Only worked on the surplus ones, was not impressed. Ultimately it's a Jeep. (a MB/GPW, not what they sell now).
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your taste in automobiles is not everything to everyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your taste in automobiles is not everything to everyone.
Pot.  Meet kettle

Quoted:
You will not be happy going from a very sporty car to a solid axle suv.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'll go be poor somewhere else with my G500.

Which by the way, I love. The 5L V8 has plenty of power on the freeways here and the drivabilty both on road in crappy weather nad off road in moderate rough terrian makes me grin.

Way better than my 94 D90, and makes me miss my 95 County a lot less. Tho almost nothing can beat the LWB County for interior space and multi surface drivability.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This isn't a forum for soccer moms asking advice on what car they should buy.  I can only conclude from having direct knowledge of the cars in question that you typed in the wrong web address.
View Quote
I almost mistook you for a real car snob.  Then I saw where you own an A class amg.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I almost mistook you for a real car snob.  Then I saw where you own an A class amg.  
View Quote
It's a fantastic beater car / daily driver and it's my fourth vehicle.  I wouldn't recommend anyone aspire to own it as their primary vehicle the way you recommend rich soccer mom SUVs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's a fantastic beater car / daily driver and it's my fourth vehicle  I wouldn't recommend anyone aspire to own it as their primary vehicle the way you recommend rich soccer mom SUVs.
View Quote
No straight male would aspire to own an A class anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've always liked the G wagon because it is different, but I never even thought about buying one.  For their size, there isn't much room and the interior felt old.  It seemed like a compromise on all fronts.  It isn't going to handle like anything meant to go fast, it won't provide as much utility as most other SUVs, it isn't as luxurious as any luxury car with that sticker price....to me, it is simply a statement piece.  If that's what someone wants then great.  I don't begrudge anyone for spending their money how they want.

On another note, have you ever done the AMG driving experience?  I did it out at lime rock park a while back.  It gave me a real appreciation for the AMG cars....they didn't use the G wagons for anything other than looks but we got to go nuts in everything else.  Highly recommended
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No straight male would aspire to own an A class anyway.
View Quote
It's my fiance's daily driver.  I wanted to get a Golf R but she wanted a Mercedes.  By ARFCOM standards she's a 10+.  Keep dreaming about the #GLS you'll have someday
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've always liked the G wagon because it is different, but I never even thought about buying one.  For their size, there isn't much room and the interior felt old.  It seemed like a compromise on all fronts.  It isn't going to handle like anything meant to go fast, it won't provide as much utility as most other SUVs, it isn't as luxurious as any luxury car with that sticker price....to me, it is simply a statement piece.  If that's what someone wants then great.  I don't begrudge anyone for spending their money how they want.

On another note, have you ever done the AMG driving experience?  I did it out at lime rock park a while back.  It gave me a real appreciation for the AMG cars....they didn't use the G wagons for anything other than looks but we got to go nuts in everything else.  Highly recommended
View Quote
The rear seats are short on legroom but the storage space is huge.  If you never put adults in the back it's a non-issue and if you do it's not that horrible.  The dash on the G is the same as the rest of the Mercedes of the era.  The truck feels very well built.

To use your terms it's a statement piece with a lot more utility than a statement piece typically offers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#28]
A Gwagon has always been on my bucket list. I like all the different models but really wish Mercedes would sell a basic stripped down version here without the electronic gadgets. I’d buy one, have the entire exterior Line-X’d, throw some decent off road tires on it and keep it as my “forever” car...
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's my fiance's daily driver.  I wanted to get a Golf R but she wanted a Mercedes.  By ARFCOM standards she's a 10+.  Keep dreaming about the #GLS you'll have someday
View Quote
This just keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This just keeps getting better.  
View Quote
You literally recommend a man buy a GLE or a GLS.   Your opinion will never be relevant here again
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A Gwagon has always been on my bucket list. I like all the different models but really wish Mercedes would sell a basic stripped down version here without the electronic gadgets. I’d buy one, have the entire exterior Line-X’d, throw some decent off road tires on it and keep it as my “forever” car...
View Quote
Yep.  That's why I bought the 350D Professional in the final year of production.  If they sold it in America I'd buy one for here too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The rear seats are short on legroom but the storage space is huge.  If you never put adults in the back it's a non-issue and if you do it's not that horrible.  The dash on the G is the same as the rest of the Mercedes of the era.  The truck feels very well built.

To use your terms it's a statement piece with a lot more utility than a statement piece typically offers.
View Quote
They are built like a tank!  No denying that.  With the right wheels and tires you could probably keep up with most off road because the G wagons, unless the 63 is different, have all of the locking diffs and what not to make life easier.  I would venture to guess that no one is using it for that purpose or you wouldn't drop the extra coin on having it AMG badged.

When I was talking about utility, my point was that you aren't likely to put anything other than groceries or sporting equipment in the back.  If you have enough money for that car you have enough money for a proper truck or delivery if you are needing to haul anything serious.

I've never owned anything close to the G63, but I had an X5 M and had this issue.  I didn't even want it on gravel roads.  I loved driving it but there was very little "utility".

I'm going to have to look up the one you said you own.  I've never hears of it before.  European model?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#33]
G Wagon is my dream car but I’m poor so I got a JKU.

Both have plenty of utility for the ‘burbs. They haul more groceries than the neighbors car, sit high up, haul people, tow trailers and adventure off-road better than 90% of vehicles on the road.

They do have a lot of road noise, have a very high center of gravity, and are bumpy. It’s very difficult to design a nice interior when the vehicle is shaped like a box.

You don’t get sports car handling, Bentley interior finishes, and a quiet and smooth ride in a vehicle designed to excel off-road.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd take a used one for cheap if such a thing existed. But I can't fathom one of these being more capable off road than any Jeep Wrangler with the same amount of money in it.

I just watched some videos of these things off road and they look like they can do pretty damn decent. But I'm doubtful many in America buy them for that purpose. Or would even deign to let them get dirty. Overlooking the price tag they seem like nice little rigs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You Toyota fan boys are losing your edge.  Almost 20 hours before you shit on a car thread.
View Quote
I am not a fan boy. There is a used 200 in my garage that I bought 2 months ago. Toyota compares the Land Cruiser to a G-wagon and the Range Rover on their website or at least used to. The Land Cruiser is a lot of car for the money used.  If I am a fan bot of anything it would be a Ford product. Now how does your post relate to the question the OP asked.  I have been impressed with how capable a Land Cruiser is off road. If I was a fan boy I would have suggested a 4-Runner.  If you want more luxury get a Lexus LX-570. I have friends and co workers with Mercedes products. All have the same complaint about the steady need for expensive parts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They are built like a tank!  No denying that.  With the right wheels and tires you could probably keep up with most off road because the G wagons, unless the 63 is different, have all of the locking diffs and what not to make life easier.  I would venture to guess that no one is using it for that purpose or you wouldn't drop the extra coin on having it AMG badged.

When I was talking about utility, my point was that you aren't likely to put anything other than groceries or sporting equipment in the back.  If you have enough money for that car you have enough money for a proper truck or delivery if you are needing to haul anything serious.

I've never owned anything close to the G63, but I had an X5 M and had this issue.  I didn't even want it on gravel roads.  I loved driving it but there was very little "utility".

I'm going to have to look up the one you said you own.  I've never hears of it before.  European model?
View Quote
Yes.  It's a European-only model unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Found a "cheap" one!

"Cheap" G-Wagon in Oregon

Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep your C63 and get a CPO GL500/450.

AMG on a SUV is just gratuitous bling.

TC
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#39]
go all in and get the 6x6...  

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
go all in and get the 6x6...  

http://i67.tinypic.com/245dfnr.jpg
View Quote
The prior 6X6 Mercedes had a famous owner who started a world war.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Boeh, is that you ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would buy one. for 15k.
View Quote
You can import a diesel one for about that. More so RHD and all manual the way it should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top