Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2018 11:34:46 AM EDT
Looking for some feedback on the Fusion 360 product from Autodesk.

Looking to purchase a seat and use the online resources to educate myself on it's uses and functions.

I like that it has 2 and 3 axis CAM tool post generating capabilities.

If I'm understanding correctly it is cloud based and requires an active internet connection to use?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
we had an autocad trainer here recently for updating to a new version

he said he loved fusion 360, and it was free.
look into that before paying
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
we had an autocad trainer here recently for updating to a new version

he said he loved fusion 360, and it was free.
look into that before paying
View Quote
It's free for students/educators and there's a training version that doesn't post any code.

For $300/year I think the code is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's also free for hobbyists.  I use it to make stuff I need with my 3D printer.  I'm no CAD pro and I picked it up with in a couple of weeks. Grate program and it makes it easy to share and collaborate with others.

Here a video video I made:
Fusion 360: Let's make a Battery Cover - 3D Printing - Start to Finish

Edit: here is my thingiverse page.  I made everything here in Fusion except the 22/45 floorplate.

https://www.thingiverse.com/pc-tech/designs
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a full seat of Autodesk Ultimate Omgwtfbbq at work (Inventor, Mechanical, Electrical, 3dsMax, FeatureCAM, Mudbox and whatever other stupid useless junk they throw in) and it includes full access to Fusion 360.

I've played around with it for a bit and my only complaint is that it's not designed in any way, shape or form to be intuitive for Autodesk users.  That said, it IS rather easy to learn and vastly more powerful than anything at it's price point.  With no knowledge whatsoever I was able to model, NC and post a simple milled part in about 20 minutes.  I don't spend a lot of time looking so take this with a grain of salt but it's probably the best most professional inexpensive CAD/CAM parametric modeling package out there.

The question that I haven't looked into because we have been using FeatureCAM since long before Adesk bought them, is what posts are available and whether they're also included or crowdshared or whatnot, if programming is your main use.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a full seat of Autodesk Ultimate Omgwtfbbq at work (Inventor, Mechanical, Electrical, 3dsMax, FeatureCAM, Mudbox and whatever other stupid useless junk they throw in) and it includes full access to Fusion 360.

I've played around with it for a bit and my only complaint is that it's not designed in any way, shape or form to be intuitive for Autodesk users.  That said, it IS rather easy to learn and vastly more powerful than anything at it's price point.  With no knowledge whatsoever I was able to model, NC and post a simple milled part in about 20 minutes.  I don't spend a lot of time looking so take this with a grain of salt but it's probably the best most professional inexpensive CAD/CAM parametric modeling package out there.

The question that I haven't looked into because we have been using FeatureCAM since long before Adesk bought them, is what posts are available and whether they're also included or crowdshared or whatnot, if programming is your main use.
View Quote
Same situation.  I haven't even looked at fusion and exclusively use featurecam.  My only complaint would be that it makes some weird tool path choices sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've played around with it for a bit and my only complaint is that it's not designed in any way, shape or form to be intuitive for Autodesk users.  
View Quote
Basically two distinctively different user formats?

I was hoping to learn Fusion so that I could one day graduate to inventor.

Thanks everyone for the info.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah.  The only similarity to inventor is being parametric.  Layout is wrong menus wrong even some actions with different.  It's like field stripping a 1911 and a glock. Essentially the same but different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Almost like another company altogether developed it and Adesk bought it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
That's good to know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Use it almost extensively now, the $315 or $1500 subscription is only for businesses making over $100k annually, otherwise it's free for hobbyists, startups, etc.  And yes, as a free version it does post code, up to and including 5 axis.  There are some features that aren't there yet, but they are adding new ones virtually every month.

The models and tooling are saved in their cloud repository, but the actual software resides on your computer, you can export models and tools for offline work if need be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Use it almost extensively now, the $315 or $1500 subscription is only for businesses making over $100k annually, otherwise it's free for hobbyists, startups, etc.  And yes, as a free version it does post code, up to and including 5 axis.  There are some features that aren't there yet, but they are adding new ones virtually every month.

The models and tooling are saved in their cloud repository, but the actual software resides on your computer, you can export models and tools for offline work if need be.
View Quote
Great info.

Does this mean your designs are open for all to see in the cloud or are they just stored there?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great info.

Does this mean your designs are open for all to see in the cloud or are they just stored there?
View Quote
Just stored there, which makes it somewhat nice, because you can easily share models too if you have to (I have a few times with a few of my friends who run Fusion professionally, and have friends who have had me do stuff for them too).  That being said, there are some implications that could present themselves with ITAR due to cloud storage, but I don't think it's really been approached yet.

Another benefit, CAM can really be GPU intensive, Fusion has the ability to be configured for distributed workload, meaning I can have multiple computers in my home with Fusion loaded on them, and configured to share the CAM computing load across them all, meaning less money per GPUs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just stored there, which makes it somewhat nice, because you can easily share models too if you have to (I have a few times with a few of my friends who run Fusion professionally, and have friends who have had me do stuff for them too).  That being said, there are some implications that could present themselves with ITAR due to cloud storage, but I don't think it's really been approached yet.

Another benefit, CAM can really be GPU intensive, Fusion has the ability to be configured for distributed workload, meaning I can have multiple computers in my home with Fusion loaded on them, and configured to share the CAM computing load across them all, meaning less money per GPUs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great info.

Thanks for the help.

I need to purchase a decent laptop for the sole purpose of running Fusion, and I'll be on my way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I use it every day. And highly recommend it.

Check out John Saunders YouTube channel. I think it's CNCNYC. He has gobs of fusion tutorials.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use it every day. And highly recommend it.

Check out John Saunders YouTube channel. I think it's CNCNYC. He has gobs of fusion tutorials.
View Quote
NYC CNC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0IyK4ntgdPTTjsxjvyHPg
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for NYCCNC

I use Inventor at work, but I have Fusion for my shop. I got a Tormach PCNC and have been using the Fusion to make parts and toolpaths for it.

It works well, even though I had very little experience with CAM before using it. Im still getting better at picking feeds and speeds and such, but between the program and the videos that Saunders puts out, I am learning a lot!.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It works well, even though I had very little experience with CAM before using it. Im still getting better at picking feeds and speeds and such, but between the program and the videos that Saunders puts out, I am learning a lot!.
View Quote
Make sure you use the manufacturer (or similar) chip load and feed rates, plugging those into Fusion has 99% of the time worked well for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
How much cloud storage do you get on the free version?

I dont understand all these cad companies moving to mobile devices. The display is shit on large plant models and takes forever, and you disconnect for a moment from wifi your data plan is depleted in mere seconds. It is fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How much cloud storage do you get on the free version?
View Quote
Not aware of any limits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top